Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Gelcoat Overspray removal  NEED HELP! >

Gelcoat Overspray removal NEED HELP!

Notices

Gelcoat Overspray removal NEED HELP!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gelcoat Overspray removal NEED HELP!

Friends,

I need some serious help . I picked up my boat from a fiberglass shop today as they weren't getting it done . .

Now my entire boat and trailer is covered in white gelcoat overspray, all my new gages, steering wheel, drives, K planes, hydraulic rams for steering all look and feel like 300 grit sandpaper.
All my chrome was recently replated.

My deck is painted in Imron . . so it's chemically resistant . . windshield is black lexan . . this is a mess . .

I've tried cleaning with all sorts of fluids, ( I own an auto restoration business with a full service body shop, so options are plentiful) Nothing touches this . .

Mario L.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks !!! I smell a lawsuit...The styrene in the gel is going to burn and melt into any plastic ,like your lexan and guages,,,I would try compounding it off the plastic and using a swirl remover afterwards and don't buff at to high of speed bcs you will burn the plastic...As far as your Imron it isn't really chemically resistant,,,drop a wet rag of denatured alcohol on it and walk away for an hour and it will lift the paint,,,You have a few different options on the paint and gel and trailer,,,you can lacquer or acetone or mek and see if you can wipe it off but you will have to soak the areas to loosen up the over spray and that will eat into the surface of the finish do you will have to go back and compound and buff...If it was me I would try 3m Imperial compound and finish with a wool finishing pad at about 1500 rpm,,,and if that works on the paint and gel you might get lucky and not have to use a swirl remover...I would try finesse 2 on the plastic and either work up or down from there...Trailer you should be able to use the lacquer or acetone or mek but you have to soak it to loosen it up...
Old 01-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

I doubt it was intentional, but the the shop is responsible for your damages.See what they want to do about it.File a claim with your insurance and let them subrogate the damages with the Fiberglas shops insurance if they blow you off.

Some of your items cant be cleaned, and this is the shops problem.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

This suks !

Motors this past year right ? And now this ?

Diffeent shops I'd assume.

Damn man.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup!
until this resolved the shop is not going to get mentioned.

Engines are all back together, with lots of Dyno time to break in and tune. This work was the finishing touch, lower the cockpit floor 5", bolt it all back together and have fun.....

Tomorrow I'll experiment with clean up options, but feeling very overwhelmed.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would also try a heavy grade clay bar.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mario L.
Yup!
until this resolved the shop is not going to get mentioned.

Engines are all back together, with lots of Dyno time to break in and tune. This work was the finishing touch, lower the cockpit floor 5", bolt it all back together and have fun.....

Tomorrow I'll experiment with clean up options, but feeling very overwhelmed.
acitone wont hurt the imron so i would clean the hull,quick wipe on it and follow with a dry wipe should do ..the plastic your going to have to hand buff it with conpound.. a few years ago i had my car parked at a goodyear and they had one of their hourly paint a fence with that silver self etching fence paint. i was having new tires put n at the time and when i picked it up i saw my shiny black car parked next to this fence and i saw the moron applying the paint to the steel link fence and all i saw was this silver metallic in the air..sure enough my whole car was covered in it..i was fuming,i walked inside and ask why is he painting the fence with my shint beemer parked next to it..needless to say they bought me a paint job of 5500.00. like mentioned let the ins take care of it,,the ins was happy to pay my claim..
Old 01-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try taking a piece of acrylic and grind a sharp edge on one end as to make a scraper. I know that's what the glass guys use on gel coat. Might be worth a quick try on the paint in an area that isn't in the open...
Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

Ask GlassDave if he has a cure.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't touch it until your insurance adjuster looks at it and makes that call. If it gets litigious, you don't want anyone to say you fouled it up by trying to fix it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.