Vacuum Bagging down Balsa Core to Hull >

Vacuum Bagging down Balsa Core to Hull

Notices

Vacuum Bagging down Balsa Core to Hull

Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Vacuum Bagging down Balsa Core to Hull

Got about 20 sheets of balsa core to bond to a hull . Anybody ever bag it down? Thought maybe it would eliminate the inevitable voids under the coring .
Also thought about Infusion , if it would work all in one shot ? CSM on hull , Balsa on the CSM , layer of 1708 on top , use vinylester.
How about bagging the core into the Corebond , saving the bag , then using it for the reinforcement of corebond cures.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Look on youtube might find some info there.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
Got about 20 sheets of balsa core to bond to a hull . Anybody ever bag it down? Thought maybe it would eliminate the inevitable voids under the coring .
Also thought about Infusion , if it would work all in one shot ? CSM on hull , Balsa on the CSM , layer of 1708 on top , use vinylester.
How about bagging the core into the Corebond , saving the bag , then using it for the reinforcement of corebond cures.
i like ATC's B-70 w/BPO catalyst for a nice GP core bond. Bags down or can be done with a notch trowel. Bagging is the best method of setting the core but i dont think I'd bother to try and reuse the bag. Is this a new construction or a repair?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

had to post - the hull birthed and proud of it. Scroll down and read all - some great info as well.

http://www.laveycraft.com/construction-of-29-nuera

Last edited by BUP; 10-18-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Vacuum Bagging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcLY...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Registered

Hey Dave , this is a repair , Ive got 2 Fives of B-70 and the trowels ready to go . But I'm lazy , and thought about just infusing the whole thing .
Have you ever done it that way before ? Isn't that the way Skater does it ? I think it would be a clean way to do it , and not be a frenzied PITA that it always is . Plus
the core and reinforcement would be void less compared to the hand layed. Correct me if Im wrong.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Registered

Thats a bad azz locking boat there BUP.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
Hey Dave , this is a repair , Ive got 2 Fives of B-70 and the trowels ready to go . But I'm lazy , and thought about just infusing the whole thing .
Have you ever done it that way before ? Isn't that the way Skater does it ? I think it would be a clean way to do it , and not be a frenzied PITA that it always is . Plus
the core and reinforcement would be void less compared to the hand layed. Correct me if Im wrong.
It will be very difficult to get a good seal if you are bagging up to an existing core and infusion is not without its risks. Baltek will need to be drilled at nearly every other block to let resin flow through and set up of feed lines is critical. Anything goes wrong and you not only loose a bunch of expensive materials but you also will have to remove the mess. Infusion is the better way to go but i don't know if I'd recommend it, it does require a lot of experience to be successful.

Yes Skater bags and infuses but their lamination crew is the best in the biz, the level of fit and finish of core sections is amazing. Setting the core using B70 is a very clean and simple process and using the BPO catylist gives you a pretty long work time on the order of a half hour to forty five minutes. Make sure to prime both surfaces and give proper flash time before setting. Simple and clean like setting floor tile, do one section at a time and mix core bond as you go instead of all at once. For big jobs i have a guy mixing B70 as i am setting one section at a time.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Thanks Dave , That sounds like the course to take .