Notices
Formula

Eagle Trailer Tires

Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle Trailer Tires

Hello,

I need to replace the tires on my tri-axle Eagle Trailer. It currently has 245/75 tires on it. I was thinking about putting 235/85's on it. The 235/85's are the same load carrying ability, but are about 3/4" narrower and about 1" bigger in diameter. I was thinking have a narrower tire with a taller sidewall would lessen the stress on the axles when turning sharply. My concern is that the taller tire will be 1/2" closer to the fender (1" increase in diameter, but 1/2" increase in radius from the axle).

Has anyone gone to the 235/85's? Any opinions?

Thanks!
Garrett
Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Eagle Trailer Tires

Originally Posted by FormulaM2Formula
Hello,

I need to replace the tires on my tri-axle Eagle Trailer. It currently has 245/75 tires on it. I was thinking about putting 235/85's on it. The 235/85's are the same load carrying ability, but are about 3/4" narrower and about 1" bigger in diameter. I was thinking have a narrower tire with a taller sidewall would lessen the stress on the axles when turning sharply. My concern is that the taller tire will be 1/2" closer to the fender (1" increase in diameter, but 1/2" increase in radius from the axle).

Has anyone gone to the 235/85's? Any opinions?

Thanks!
Garrett
I'm thinking the opposite of what you're thinking:

A taller tire will tend to "fold" over easier than a lower tire. Also, a thinner tire will have more pressure per unit of surface area on the road, not allowing it to "skid" as easily duirng a tight turn. In my estimation, a wider, lower tire will hold up better and exert less stress on bearings and axles as it will release a bit easier in turns.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Eagle Trailer Tires

wider tire more heat, rolling resistance and propensity to hydroplane.
On a triple axle especially, narrower tire =less "scuff", resistance to turning and side load on the hub (bearings). A properly inflated, proper sidewall ply trailer service tire will not "roll under".
I would never replace a trailer tire with a wider tire...same profile or perhaps slightly narrower/taller (fewer revs/mile is a good thing). In reality a 1/2 inch of diameter or less between choices is pretty moot.

Lots of ed. available online. Search Towmaster tires, Greenball Transmaster, and Maxxis. These are the real-deal trailer service tires!
Goodyear makes some killer high-end trailer tires but they are 110 pounders and require a high PSI rim.

Last edited by Rippem; 11-01-2006 at 01:16 PM.