Trailer Tires >

Trailer Tires

Notices

Trailer Tires

Old 02-21-2003, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Tires

I posted this in the General Forum but maybe it should have gone here. I need some new trailer tires and I'm wondering what to go with, mine are dry rotting now. I don't know the specs on them but I'll find out later. What are you guys running and what have you had bad luck with so I'll know to stay clear.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Marathons suck you can have those peices of chit. I've blown several but I do tow at 80 like a dumbazz I use Carlisles from discount tire never had trouble with these. I had so much trouble with my goodyears, bubles on the sides, they gave me new carlisles. they are about 59 bucks a peice. Always use special Trailer tires no matter what anyone tells you

Don't think the brand does not matter, Call goodyear and ask them if they had any problems with marathons detreading or blowing out, I did and they have a free replacement policy for certain marathon tires, I've ran Carlisle sure trails for 4 tears now on a hammer, 24 outlaw and a 25 outlaw, Last year a buddy with a 29 lost 3 marathons in 1 trip, just trying to give you info from my personal experience, I would not buy marathons for 5 bucks
Old 02-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

I think.........i'm not for sure........but I believe thats what I have on mine now........Carlisle. I'll double check. You've had good experience with them......thats enough for me
Old 02-21-2003, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately do like Liquid says, get the trailer tires. I dont know what kind I bought, they were the house brand from Discount....and have not had a problem. $59/each as well
Old 02-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

My trailer came with six carlisles on it and I'm very satisified. Previous trailer had marathons and they always leaked!! Never had any blowouts but slow leakers suck!!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:36 PM
bayou outlaw

I had two blowouts on the way to Destin last year. The tires were only a year old. They were radials and were for trailers. I went back with 6 ply (not radials) trailer tires. Not sure of the name brand. I was told that the steel belts cool too quick when you douse them into the water after a long tow and that it causes the belts to separate, thus causing the blowouts over time. Made sense to me, but I'm no tire expert either. The new tires have been fine so far, I guess time will tell. Andy

Old 02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Goodyear guy all around. Have had good luck on autos, trucks and trailers.

The last two Myco's I have had came with Goodyear's. Total now of around 5000 miles without any trouble. I probably just messed my record up telling you this. We will pulling the boat back from Florida in a couple of weeks.

The key with any tire for anything is to have the right tire. It must be made for the application, and capacity needed. Secondly and as important is tire pressure.

I check all tires before any trip to make sure they are 100 percent on tire pressure and look for any noticable problems before I hit the road. One thing I see a lot is trailers that are not level. If you have to much tongue weight the front tires will be carrying the load. You must have the trailer level so the load is distributed equally.

I have a laser temperature reader that you can just point at anything and get an instant reading on. This is a must when towing something like the 36 for long distances. The first thing I do when we stop somewhere for a break it walk around the truck and trailer and check all the temperatures. In low sunlight all will be about the same. If the sun is bright, the tires on the shaded side will read a little less. If they are all within about fives degrees maximum of each other you are OK. If you have a tire going bad, you will instantly know it. They can and will read as mush as 20 to 30 degrees more. Take it off right then and replace it before it blows. Much easier and much safer.

Year before last we were towing to Miami with a couple of other boats. It was 30 degrees here in North Carolina when we left. We stopped at a truck stop on the South Carolina/Georgia line around 3 o'clock in the morning. I started checking all my tires and they came in around 55 degrees. A buddy asked be to check his and they were all about the same except for the center trailer tire on the port side. It was 100 degrees. He checked the tire pressure and it was way low. Found the hole, plugged it, aired it back up and was back on the road in about twenty minutes. We did not get 15 miles before it blew and was all over my windshield. Never again, if they are hot, they go.

This little device works GREAT, I would recommend it to anyone.

Sorry to be longwinded, but the right tires, set up right seem to work well for me.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Dock, your device for checking tires sounds like a good one. Where did you get it and how much does it cost??
Old 02-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally posted by bayou outlaw
I had two blowouts on the way to Destin last year. The tires were only a year old. They were radials and were for trailers. I went back with 6 ply (not radials) trailer tires. Not sure of the name brand. I was told that the steel belts cool too quick when you douse them into the water after a long tow and that it causes the belts to separate, thus causing the blowouts over time. Made sense to me, but I'm no tire expert either. The new tires have been fine so far, I guess time will tell. Andy

The Carlisle Trail USA is not a radial, I've used those also, They seem to hold a better load,but have the same rating, as the sure trail radials
Old 02-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by garshev
Dock, your device for checking tires sounds like a good one. Where did you get it and how much does it cost??
I bought mine from WW Grainger. I have had it a couple of years now, I think it was around $90.00.

Well worth the money.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.