2000 271 Fastech questions >

2000 271 Fastech questions

Notices
Formula

2000 271 Fastech questions

Old 01-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 271 Fastech questions

I seem to have found myself doing some tire kicking again. I'm back to looking at single engine boats. I've always liked Formulas, along with a few other brands, but I just never seem to find a deal on one when I was serious.
I've came across a 2000 271 with a 500efi. Seller says mid 70's....does this seem right? The asking price seems good enough to go a step further.
How do these boats handle? I had a 26zx, & wasn't ever completely comfy with the handling with the twin steps, so I do have a concern as to the handling with a single step on the 271. How is the room in the cabin? I know I won't be holding any party's up there, but a little head room would be nice. Just looking for a bit of input on these....I appreciate it...
Old 01-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on were you boat and what you what (expect) this boat to do.Don't be afraid of steps they run faster than a traditional vee with less power but they do need to be driven properly.As for the price that seems way high there are newer 292s out there for about the same and twin 6.2 are not going to use that much more fuel than the single 500.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM

I boat mainly on the MS Gulf Coast, & over in the FL Panhandle.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean the price was in the mid 70's, the price is 47k, the seller said it has a top speed in the mid 70's. It really caught my attention with it having a 500efi. Most of the ones I see are either a 454 or 502 mag, it also has hydraulic steering, & K-planes.
I do understand the driving a stepped boat requires more attention, but my Donzi, really had a "slippery" feel when it was trimmed out & running hard. I just didn't care for that feel, will the 271 have the same "feel" to it?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Registered

That sounds a little better Does it come with a trailer?The reason that you Donzi might have felt a little lose when trimmed out is that you really should not trim out a stepped hull.A stepped hull is designed to run at neutral trim which is the theoretical line from the bottom of the first step to the transom.This is called angle of attack.By trimming either positive or negative stepped hulls can get very lose.My 292 is very stable at wot even in 2 to 3 footers
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Registered

It seems the previous owner(s) added the k-planes, hydraulic steering, and the motor. Since those were not available options on the 271. All good options to have, I wish they still made the 271's & 292's with the k-planes. Personally I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to looking/buying anything that has been worked over by someone other then myself. I rather find something bone stock and work it over myself to ensrue it's done properly. Why spend additional money to fix someone elses mistake.

True Story- I looked at a 1990 223LS last summer that my motor guy was selling. Boat was immaculate, not a scratch or ding in the hull. Inside same story, spotless. The owner replaced the 454 with a nice 540, $3000 exhaust, spared no expense. I probably would have considered it for the right price, but the owner wanted way too much for it. It finally ended up selling late summer. Talked to my motor guy a few weeks back, he told me that the boat has been nothing but problems for the new owner. First the water pump went, then the starter, then he had an oil leak. Finally the impeller went and basically blew up the motor. Moral of this story, just be careful.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered

I recently purchased a 292 from a Formula Dealer up in Lake George, NY. When talking to the owner and salesmen, telling them that I considered a 271's but desired a 292. They informed me that they don't even stock a 271, which surprised me because I figured a 271 to be a pretty good lake boat.

A Formula is a quality made boat, not that a Donzi isn't. It's little things you'll find on a Formula that you won't on a Donzi. Not sure why a 26' boat had twin stepped hull, other then a additional selling point, but from what I've read and heard, a 271 is a nice boat.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered

Hey Expensive Date,

Do you have drive & trim indicators on your 292. I don't, just the trim guages. Where abouts does the needle sit when your crusing, at WOT for your drives? I haven't had that much time behind the wheel yet to feel her out, I understand the angle of attack, but just curious as to where it should be sitting under crusing & WOT speeds at least on yours.

They say anticipation makes the heart grow stronger, mine must be bullet proof then, because I don't know how much longer I can wait. This warm weather is horrible too, half temped to launch her on more then a few occasions. Good thing the batteries are out or I probably would have.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Default How fast?

I have a 2000 271. I bought it with a 500efi. Top speed was 71 on the GPS. The spedo was happy and would give you 73 but the hand held GPS never got over 71. I added HP9000 trim tabs with indicators, Latham steering and last season rebuilt the motor to a 540ci, 675 HP. The boat now runs 82 mph but hold on. Over 80 MPH she dosen't have much boat in the water and get's a little chine dance going.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Hey Expensive Date,

Do you have drive & trim indicators on your 292. I don't, just the trim guages. Where abouts does the needle sit when your crusing, at WOT for your drives? I haven't had that much time behind the wheel yet to feel her out, I understand the angle of attack, but just curious as to where it should be sitting under crusing & WOT speeds at least on yours.

They say anticipation makes the heart grow stronger, mine must be bullet proof then, because I don't know how much longer I can wait. This warm weather is horrible too, half temped to launch her on more then a few occasions. Good thing the batteries are out or I probably would have.
Sorry have not checked this thread Neutral trim on mine is about 1/4 on the dial but you need to measure your boat.On the trailer run a string from the bottom of the first step to the transom when the drive is parallel to that string thats neutral trim
Basically tabs all the way down drives in comes on plane drives neutral bring tabs up for conditions my 292 does not like a lot of tab.Your drives will pretty much stay neutral till you come of plane do not go negative trim while turning with a stepped hull
292s do chine walk sometimes just take it easy get the feel for it.Do you still have my cell call me Tim
Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

Thanks Tim. I still got your number, I'll give you a call sometime. I'm definately going to be down the shore more then a few times this summer. We'll meet up sometime. I'm thinking of her first run being in the bay, she's going to be down there getting the motors checked out the end of March early April. When I start to get her ready I'll run the string and check out where neutral position is. I think with any boat it's more feel/comfort and drive time, which I haven't had yet with her. Thanks for the advice.