Formula 370SS

Notices
Formula

Formula 370SS

Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 370SS

I ordered 370SS with Cummins QSD 320 diesels late April 08.The boat ought to be ready 10.06.08 .After that the timetable was changed several times.The boat was "ready" and totally paid finally in the end of June and ought to be ready to be shipped to Europe on 2.7.08.But this was amazing they wanted further to test the boat,because it had a new engine package!What is new in Cummins,the engines were in their pricelist so, there ought to be no unsusal installation .At least they ought to have warned the client of the new engine package in advance,that they had no earlier experience of the Cummins.Formula boats has been also selling 400SS with with Volvo diesels.When I got their test report I could see,that fuel consumption was clearly higher than in 400 SS with Volvo diesels 350 hp and the top speed was lower.What a disappointment it was to read such reports.They didn't try to change the props or test the boat further.They packaged the boat and kept it waiting for the shipment over three weeks.Think about that,the summer is in mid August nearly over at least in Finland.Formula boats only regrets the situation,but donīt bother to discuss the matter any more.What arrogant company is Formula boats.I wanted to cancel the order,but they only regret.They ought to have made at least a price reduction.Europe must be very important market for US boats,but this was the last time for me to buy a boat at least of Formula boats.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Registered

I can understand your frustration in waiting for your boat. But I think the fact that Formula wants to test and tune your boat before they ship it that far is comendable.. There are probably plenty of boat manufacturors who would send the boat not knowing how it would perform and leave you holding the bag with an underperforming or improperly performing power package.

I also think it is impracticle to expect them to build a test boat for every engine package they ever use. Unfortunatley yours is the first ordered with that package. But the upside is they will have the ideal props and tune package for your individual hull by the time you get it. Also I would expect that they would have found and repaired any misc. odd and ends that pop up, that normally the new owner finds in the first month or two of ownership.

When you do get your boat I would expect you to be very happy with its performance and condition. Too bad you will miss this summer but you will have plenty of summers to come to enjoy your boat.

Actually I would probably pay extra if they had an option to test and tune and prop my boat before delivery. That way I would know its as good as it can get even after allowing for manufacturing tolerances. People pay big money to aftermarket shops to do just that to their boat.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally Posted by macjazzy
I can understand your frustration in waiting for your boat. But I think the fact that Formula wants to test and tune your boat before they ship it that far is comendable.. There are probably plenty of boat manufacturors who would send the boat not knowing how it would perform and leave you holding the bag with an underperforming or improperly performing power package.

I also think it is impracticle to expect them to build a test boat for every engine package they ever use. Unfortunatley yours is the first ordered with that package. But the upside is they will have the ideal props and tune package for your individual hull by the time you get it. Also I would expect that they would have found and repaired any misc. odd and ends that pop up, that normally

the new owner finds in the first month or two of ownership.

When you do get your boat I would expect you to be very happy with its performance and condition. Too bad you will miss this summer but you will have plenty of summers to come to enjoy your boat.

Actually I would probably pay extra if they had an option to test and tune and prop my boat before delivery. That way I would know its as good as it can get even after allowing for manufacturing tolerances. People pay big money to aftermarket shops to do just that to their boat.

What he said double......... If you had ordered it with yanmars or volvo`s this problem would most likely not have happened. But... the new Cummins package will take longer to test and make it perform up to their expectations. Thats WHY you buy a Formula.............
Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered

Default 370ss

Originally Posted by macjazzy

I also think it is impracticle to expect them to build a test boat for every engine package they ever use. Unfortunatley yours is the first ordered with that package. But the upside is they will have the ideal props and tune package for your individual hull by the time you get it. Also I would expect that they would have found and repaired any misc. odd and ends that pop up, that normally the new owner finds in the first month or two of ownership.

Thank you for your answer.The situation is not so nice as you viewed.Formula boats tested the boat and I got the test sheet.The top speed was lower and the fuel consumption was higher than in 400SS with Volvos.I am glad that they tested,but it was there.After the test they just packed the boat to wait three weeks for shipment.I expected,that they would have tested the boat as long as they would find the right props,but this didnīt happen.The test was done and the boat was packed and it stayed for three weeks for nothing on the dry land.What is the meaning of this kind of testing?It is just routine for them,if it doesnīt lead to any re-evaluation and changes.If I was them,I wouldnīt dare to ship such a boat in that condition.I think,that diesel boats will be popular in USA and it is important,that diesels are worth their higher prices because of their fuel efficiency.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Registered

out of curiosity, what made you pick the cummins over the volvos?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sabercatt
out of curiosity, what made you pick the cummins over the volvos?
Cummins were more powerful 320hp vs 300hp,6 cyl vs 4 cyl and much less weight.