Steering Cable

Notices
Formula

Steering Cable

Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Cable

My dad owns a 1988 311SR1. It has very sloppy steering at higher speeds (above 55). we changed the helm and added sidewinders (waste of money) and still have quite a bit of slop, has anyone tried replacing the steering cable? anyone have a part number or length? Any help is great!

Thanks a bunch!
Joe
Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Registered

I'll be the first of many to tell you, you need external hydraulic steering. My cousin bought a boat last year that would dive all over the place until we put hydro on it. Now it's rock solid, it was an unreal difference. Kind of the same thing, we couldn't push it more than 50, after the hydro you could take your hand off the wheel at 70 and it ran straight.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Registered

agreed, I've owned 6 boats now (2 formulas) and external steering is great, otherwise the boat handles like a bathtub. But, my father is cheap and just looking to change the cable at this point, or maybe used external steering to fit onto his TRS drives if anyone has for sale.
Thanks
Joe
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Registered

probley the steering rudder, if you can wiggle the drives at the back of the boat thats the problem, the fix is have the gimble housing redone or best fix is the hyd steering which is what am in the process of doing now. cheap won't fix it
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Hello JoeP29, I have a 292 1991.When I bought it with the worked 502s it would run high 70s close to 80.The steering was bad and dangerous.The steering wheel would turn a just shy of a 1/4 turn before anything would move.It would drift all over.Well as I have read previous replies I will add my fix.I agree sidewinders are a waste.I ripped out all the steering and installed a full Imco dual ram hydraulic system.I am impressed with the tightness and response.All boats with mechanical steering have some play even new.With hydraulic the wheel moves 1/8 inch and moves a valve to push fluid to the proper side of the rams.As long as no wear and tear on the gimbal it is steady as a jet at Mach .86 LOL. Im am sold on external hydraulic steering.Safety is mandatory with boating,more so with high speeds.Good luck....