Exhaust Flappers

Notices
Formula

Exhaust Flappers

Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Flappers

All four rubber flappers on the exhaust trim peice`s existing the swim platform on my 89 272 have been missing since I bought the boat. I am how heading into my fourth season and always wonder if get serious and replace them??
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those flappers don't really do much. Many of us run with large cut-outs in the bottom of the platforms. Any water back up would go in through those cut-outs regardless of the flappers. If you pay attention and don't back hard into waves/wakes, it won't matter if you have flappers or not.

Actually, there are half-moon, clamshell type flappers in the exhaust tips anyway. However, if your boat is like most, they were burned out ten years ago. Since you can't see them or get to them without removing your platform, who knows?

On the other hand, the outer flappers are cheap and super easy to install.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Thirdbird for the reply, I will work on installing them this spring.
I am worried when I get a large swell hitting the stern. I do not have the large ports on the bottom of the platform like you mention, I do however run with no platform drain plugs: not that it helps the water get out as quick as your large ports. I have seen you and your boat in the T Isalnds , beautiful rig; almost thought about calling you when it was up for sale awhile ago, maybe one day............Mike
Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikeo
Thanks Thirdbird for the reply, I will work on installing them this spring.
I am worried when I get a large swell hitting the stern. I do not have the large ports on the bottom of the platform like you mention, I do however run with no platform drain plugs: not that it helps the water get out as quick as your large ports. I have seen you and your boat in the T Isalnds , beautiful rig; almost thought about calling you when it was up for sale awhile ago, maybe one day............Mike
Thanks for the compliment! If you're in the Bay, we should hook up for a cruise. What are you running? EDIT: Never mind, just re-read your post, 272, good for you!

As for the large ports in the bottom of the platfom, I didn't mean that they would drain faster, although they will. What they'll do is take in water faster than the normal exhaust ports. I just take it easy in reverse and pay attention to waves.
Its still a long reach for water to back up regardless of large ports or no flappers or whatever. The exhaust tips through the transom are quite high. Combine that with the torturous path the water has to take through the paltform with baffles, curves and corners and you'd really have to take a prolonged blast from the stern to get water into the engine.

Last edited by ThirdBird; 04-28-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Not very observant.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those flappers are just rivited on. YOu would just have to drill out the old rivites and find a stiff enough rubber flapper, cut to shape, and reinstall using new rivites. Pretty simple job to me.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
I think those flappers are just rivited on. YOu would just have to drill out the old rivites and find a stiff enough rubber flapper, cut to shape, and reinstall using new rivites. Pretty simple job to me.
Nope. Held in place by two small through-bolts that basically clamp the flapper between the square outlet and a stainless plate at the top of the flapper. Only hassel is getting to the small nuts but it's not that hard to do.