Purchasing 1996 Formula 330SS . . .

Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Registered

I cleaned up the hull today . . . heavily iron stained. So, here is a better pic of the boat now that it is cleaned up a bit.

I'll be winterizing it in the next week or 2 . . . this will be my first time winterizing an MPI engine. Then I'll be working the 'punch list' of things to get done over the winter in prep for next Spring.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

tpenfield the boat looks great and cannot wait to see what you do to it over the winter.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Registered

A Quick Update:

I have done quite a few things over the winter to get the boat ready . . .

Upgrades:
Full closed cooling systems
Sea Water Strainers
VHF Radio
Smoke & CO2 detectors

Lots of minor repairs/replacements:
Anchor locker/anchor
boarding gate
Fuel pump
Trim sender
Trim pump
Transom shower
Rear seat support
Shower sump
High water alarm
Spark plugs
Outdrive Anode upgrade/retro-fit
Exhaust shutters
Battery
Courtesy lighting
Cabin sliding hatch
Barrier coat and bottom paint (ePaint EP-2000 White)

So, things are looking as close to 100% as possible. I was going to launch this weekend, but the Bay was pretty windy and really whipped up. Now scheduled to launch on Saturday (June 1st).

Here is a more recent photo showing the white anti-fouling paint:

I got an extra set of boat stands so I could jockey the keel blocks around to paint the hull in all places, etc.

Last edited by tpenfield; 05-28-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

A Quick Update:

The boat is in the water . . . Here is a pic of it at the mooring.

I had it out in Buzzards Bay for a little bit right after we launched. I noticed right away that the boat pounds much more than my 242SS coming off the waves. We were in 2-3 foot seas and at one point we slammed down fairly hard and the wet bar doors popped open along with the refrigerator door in the cabin. We were only going about 22 mph at the time, so not like we were hauling buckets or anything

So, I am wondering what the experience of other 330SS owners has been with traveling over a choppy bay ????
Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenfield
A Quick Update:

The boat is in the water . . . Here is a pic of it at the mooring.

I had it out in Buzzards Bay for a little bit right after we launched. I noticed right away that the boat pounds much more than my 242SS coming off the waves. We were in 2-3 foot seas and at one point we slammed down fairly hard and the wet bar doors popped open along with the refrigerator door in the cabin. We were only going about 22 mph at the time, so not like we were hauling buckets or anything

So, I am wondering what the experience of other 330SS owners has been with traveling over a choppy bay ????
Looking good! you have experienced what the boat is, u need to remember, wide beam, plus I forget the exact number but its not a 24 degree hull, so yes its gonna slam, I thought the exact same when riding on a friends last year
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Registered

Yea, the hull is 20 degrees. I was figuring it would slam a bit, but I am finding surprising as to how easily it does so. On the windier days, I guess I'll be missing the 242SS
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Registered

End of Season Update:

After a few outings with the 330SS, I did learn to trim the boat for choppy water travel and it does that fairly well in chop up to about 3 feet. Once you get to 4-5 feet, it reaches its limits and travel is slower, but steady.

As far as the Bravo III outdrives dissolving like Alka-Seltzer . . . they did not. I put the prop anode retro-fit on and also painted the props with 'cold galvanizing compound' (zinc) and I saw no signs of corrosion on the outdrives after 4 months in salt water. Previously, the boat had been in fresh water seasonally for 16 years, and had some corrosion around the prop hub area, probably due to insufficient anode maintenance, etc.

So, it looks like B3's in salt water is fine as long as you go with the extra anode protection.

Fuel consumption has been much less than anticipated and only about 50% greater than my single engine 242SS.

Overnighting has been good with enough space and comforts for a short stay.