Remote Battery Posts?

Notices
Formula

Remote Battery Posts?

Old 10-21-2022, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Remote Battery Posts?

My 271 Fastech has two batteries located in engine compartment with switch under back seat. All my other boats had batteries under back seat.

With the Fastech, if batteries should die for any reason I won't be able to open the hatch to get to them. I'm thinking I'd like to run remote battery posts to under the back seat so I can hook up a jump box if needed and get the hatch open. Has anyone done this?

I got thinking about this because I'm getting to winterize and was wondering about what to do with the batteries. Leave them in boat with battery tenders on them? Pull batteries out and store inside warm shop? I talked to previous owner and he pulled the batteries. He unhooked pin for hatch actuator and left a block under hatch to make it easy to manually lift open. He lived in Michigan where it gets much colder for longer than where I am (northern NV). My boat will also be stored inside although not heated.

Something like these:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by BajaFresh; 10-21-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 841 Likes on 359 Posts

Something like that would be exactly what you need. Every boat I’ve owned with a electrically operated hatch, with the batteries under the hatch, have had remote posts for jump starting.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:38 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Something like that would be exactly what you need. Every boat I’ve owned with a electrically operated hatch, with the batteries under the hatch, have had remote posts for jump starting.
x 2. In my case, most have’m, but not all. Battery switch also.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:45 AM
SB
Registered

These are cool. From Eddie Marine and surely other places.

The following users liked this post:
TomZ (10-24-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

your engine lift actuator should have a stainless sleeve on the top with a pin through it. in the event you cannot use the actuator, you manually lift the hatch 6" or so, and pull the pin. you can then lift the hatch. My 292 came from Formula with this.

I leave my batteries on this: (1 each) for the winter:

Amazon Amazon

Love the NOCO stuff.

or you can mount one in the boat:

Amazon Amazon

I didn't because in my years of boating, I've never had an issue where I needed a 120v charger. so I just have chargers for over the winter.

However if your boating habits (shorter trips, more 12v loads) require a 120v charger, I'd suggest mounting one in the boat and enjoy knowing you always have charged up batteries.

if you're a real data nerd (like I am) I put one of these on each battery too:
Amazon Amazon

My boat only has 1 voltage gauges for 2 engines/batteries. (why formula?!) so this gives me voltage, time, stats, etc. all sorts of cool info.

But at the end of the day either the batteries (I assume you have 2?) start the engine. or they do not. I'm not sure these would give me enough warning to replace a battery before I knew it was going anyway (slow/no crank).

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 10-21-2022 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SB (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
These are cool. From Eddie Marine and surely other places.

Exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
your engine lift actuator should have a stainless sleeve on the top with a pin through it. in the event you cannot use the actuator, you manually lift the hatch 6" or so, and pull the pin. you can then lift the hatch. My 292 came from Formula with this.

I leave my batteries on this: (1 each) for the winter:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-...%2C103&sr=8-15

Love the NOCO stuff.

or you can mount one in the boat:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GEN5X2-F...2-63e904010ad0

I didn't because in my years of boating, I've never had an issue where I needed a 120v charger. so I just have chargers for over the winter.

However if your boating habits (shorter trips, more 12v loads) require a 120v charger, I'd suggest mounting one in the boat and enjoy knowing you always have charged up batteries.

if you're a real data nerd (like I am) I put one of these on each battery too:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My boat only has 1 voltage gauges for 2 engines/batteries. (why formula?!) so this gives me voltage, time, stats, etc. all sorts of cool info.

But at the end of the day either the batteries (I assume you have 2?) start the engine. or they do not. I'm not sure these would give me enough warning to replace a battery before I knew it was going anyway (slow/no crank).
Great information! Thanks.

Yes, two batteries.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:49 AM
SB
Registered

Found this for 1/2 the $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284074485171

Old 10-21-2022, 04:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 629 Likes on 290 Posts

All my boats (two of them Bajas) have had remote terminals, and it's frankly something that no boat should be without.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:23 PM
SB
Registered

Some hatches, even with 6” slip collar, are so damn heavy good luck lifting with one person. So, i agree, boats with batteries in engine compartment should have remote lugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.