350 mag smokes alot >

350 mag smokes alot

Notices
Formula

350 mag smokes alot

Old 08-02-2003, 02:17 PM
bowtie89

Default 350 mag smokes alot

When I drop the hammer and when cruising the boat seems to throws alot of smoke "white" Is this normal it has thru hull exhuast!!! is there anything I can add to the oil to make it stop smoking it looks bad and it worries me

Old 08-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bowtie,
White smoke generally indicates steam not oil. Oil will leave a blue haze behind you. A certain amount of steam is nornal since you are mixing hot exhaust with water in the pipes. Excessive steam could indicate a bad head gasket. In either case it's hard to tell without actually seeing it.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:35 AM
bowtie89

When I took my boat out of the water yesterday and was running it with the hose to get all the saltwater flushed out, I noticed an unussually amount of steam or white smoke coming out the starbord side. that is also the side the has the hotter exhuast water! maybe it is the head gasket.
If I had to do that I would definitly just throw new heads on it. would that make any differance in HP and topend. I don't know what heads are on it now but it is a 1989 350 magnum
thanks Harry

Old 09-02-2003, 05:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try looking into a clogged passages in the thermostat housing, where the hoses going to the exh manifolds attach, and pull the riser off the exh maifold looking for heavy rust. Open the drain valves on the manifolds and see how much rust comes out. Cast Iron manifolds in salt water don't last.

Started mine on the trailer Saturday after sitting for two months. You should've seen the brown water that flowed out. My risers seemed to be running hotter than before too. Ran all day Sunday without trouble. Engine temp was normal. I guess pulling the manifolds will be one of the winter projects I'll have to do.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your self a favor and buy a compression tester and a leak down guage.......I think it's common for one side to "steam" a little and run hotter. Mine has with the old 5.7 and then new 358...Old and new manifolds.....I think it has to do with how the water is routed thru the engine. On a humid morning it is the worst. Especially in the spring and fall....

BH