Notices

350 Mag

Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Mag

Would anyone know how many horse power a 350 Magnum with alpha 1 drive (circa 87) would have, and maybe what the gas milage might be. Also, any idea how fast it might push a 1987 23.5' Regal Velocity? I am picking up the boat (soon hopefully) and will be launching in Lake ontario for the summer. . . just wondering what I can expect for performance and mpg.

Also, is there anything I should know about taking a salt water boat and using it in fresh water? Are there any changes required for the engine in terms of tuning or props?

As you might have guessed, this will be my first boat owning experience, and I'm going in clueless.

thx!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a 1988 350 Mag that was rated at 270 HP by Mercury.

There are tons of variables when it comes to gas mileage but 3 MPG may be good for cruising planning purposes.

I know that there were some past threads on the performance of your new boat that you may want to search on. My guess would be mid 60's.

There's really no mechanical issues moving from salt water to fresh water except that the boat will generally run a little slower in fresh water as salt water is more bouyant and of course, engines run better at sea level but I suspect that Lake Ontario may not have much elevation.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for the insight. I guess I will find out once and for all the top speed when I'm out there . . .

I took a picture of the engine, and it looks like it will need some polishing up, any idea on what it will cost to replace the exhast pipes, they are looking a little rusty, see pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails 350 Mag-boat_transom1.jpg  
Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

rooster,
Looking at the engine photo, you are correct to be concerned about the exhaust and should attend to that before running the boat. The danger is that the exhaust can be rusted badly enough on the inside that it leaks water back into the cylinders.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

I have a 90 Regal Velocity. Your exhuast is going to need to be replaced. I would also look at the temp housing and the circulator pump. The ball in the temp housing can fail causing metal to flow into the engine.

I just replaced my original 350 mag with a 383 Merc 6.2.

With the 350 mag you will likley run in the low 60's. The hull is great, but watch the engine. The exhaust on this boat also has fiberglass elbows that can sometimes go. Look at the elbows and be sure they are not leaking. If they are they will spray water all over the engine.

Welcome to Velocity and Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Registered

Yeah, I know, it looks pretty bad. The previous owner forgot to take out the drain plug and put the boat outside for the winter. The cover leaked a whole lot of water into the boat and filled the transom area and froze. I won't know if any serious damage was caused until I get it inspected.

I'll get it inspected and figure out what the costs will be to replace the pipes.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bvalery
I have a 90 Regal Velocity. Your exhuast is going to need to be replaced. I would also look at the temp housing and the circulator pump. The ball in the temp housing can fail causing metal to flow into the engine.

I just replaced my original 350 mag with a 383 Merc 6.2.

With the 350 mag you will likley run in the low 60's. The hull is great, but watch the engine. The exhaust on this boat also has fiberglass elbows that can sometimes go. Look at the elbows and be sure they are not leaking. If they are they will spray water all over the engine.

Welcome to Velocity and Good luck.
Thanks for the insight, When I get a mechanic to look at it I will be sure to ask about the temp housing, circ pump and elbows. I will also do some research myself on it (costs etc). I'm gettng the sense that my money pit just got a little deeper . . .

How is your 383 performing compared to the old 350 in terms of milage and speed? Out of curiosity, what kind of cost am I looking at to replace the engine if need be?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

did he at least winterize it?? have everything checked, if he didnt put it away properly and it frooze, you could be looking at a cracked block, heads manifolds and or elbows. a mildly built 383 will eat a 350 for lunch. with some diligent looking, you can get a 383 'kit' for under a grand balanced.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered

I was able to get a merc 383 package for 11,000 with a bravo drive. It is a package sold by Merc Quicksilver with a warranty. Good deal. I think the 350 mag pushed 275 hp and the 383 mpi pushes 350. The boat has a great engine area with lots of space, so the 383 is perfect because it is lighter then the 454 or 496 and less expensive.
Might be a good replacement for you. Look at the cost of labor and parts. A drop in engine is sometimes less labor expensive and you can get a warranty.
Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I would scrap that whole engine and replace it. Putting that boat out on the water could be dangerous the way it is. Judging by the pictures I really would not spend any money trying to fix the engine. Get it done right the first time. If you spend the money upfront rather than try and patch it you will save money in the long run. Its like fixing an old car - yah it might get you another month or year, but eventually you will need a new one.

Quick Reply: 350 Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.