2001 lightning 500 EFI

Notices

2001 lightning 500 EFI

Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 lightning 500 EFI

NEED HELP???
I am having a problem with my port side motor shuting down after hitting any kind of rough water. When running at any speed, the motor will sometimes either shutdown with an alarm or come down to an idle without shutting down. This only happens when either hitting a wave or a cruisers wake thus jarring the boat. I have checked for loose wires and sensor connections and all seems to be fine. After a shutdown, I pluged in a computor to check for fault codes and no codes come up.
Has anyone ever had this problem or have any sugesstions?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Star,

Look up under the stbd gunwale at the helm where the wiring for the kill switch comes down and joins the wiring harness. Had a similar symptom on my 2000 35 where the kill switch wiring was being pulled out of the back of the switch by the wiring harness. After a few years of heat cycles on the wiring, the harness finally relaxed enough to lay down inside the gunwale.

In my case the kill switch wiring just needed to go to the switch from the other side of the harness. If you take off panel beside the kill switch, you can't see if the harness is pulling the wiring.

The quick test is to jumper out the kill switch with a few automotive connectors and go for a ride. When I went to jumper mine out, I could see the harness was laying on the kill switch wiring.

I had to have a new switch because the wiring had been pulled out of the back of the switch about a quarter inch.

Hope this is it.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM
MM1
Registered

The 500 efi engines have had a problem where the red wire from the starter that feeds the circut breaker on the bracket on the back of the cylinder head would rub through on the corner of the cylinder head. The efi system are pretty primative and if you have a power loss problem you won't see any codes. Hope this helps
Good Luck
Matt
Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also check the cannon plug to the motor go to the back of the boat with it running and grab the main harness to the motor and move it around up down side to side see if the condition reacures
Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Had the same thing happen to me when it was brand new. Ended up being the kill switch wire just like in the reply above.