Fountain Repair Questions

Notices

Fountain Repair Questions

Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fountain Repair Questions

I've got a few questions for some Fountain diehards:

1) The screws that hold my swim ladder door are mostly stripped where they thread into the door itself, I can only assume from people stepping/walking on it, etc. There is no cracking of the fiberglass. What would be the best method of repairing those holes?

2) The handle/grab rail that is directly above the swim ladder. Is that removable? I knot it is bolted on, however, I think I was told by a Fountain rep that that was bolted in BEFORE the top half and bottom half of the hulls were assembled. I have the motors out of my boat, and I can see there is a cavity/hollow area near where each bilge blower would be, but I cannot see HOW I could ever get to this handle. It's hard to believe anyone would make a part that can't be removed/tightened once a boat is assembled.

3) Anyone changed conventional cleats/bow marker light to pop up styles? Big job? Anything I should know? I know it involves a good bit of cutting, but aside from that?

I'm doing a big update this winter and just have a few questions on those areas right now. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) The screws that hold my swim ladder door are mostly stripped where they thread into the door itself, I can only assume from people stepping/walking on it, etc. There is no cracking of the fiberglass. What would be the best method of repairing those holes?

A)The holes can be filled with 5200 and then redrilled after full cure.

2) The handle/grab rail that is directly above the swim ladder. Is that removable? I knot it is bolted on, however, I think I was told by a Fountain rep that that was bolted in BEFORE the top half and bottom half of the hulls were assembled. I have the motors out of my boat, and I can see there is a cavity/hollow area near where each bilge blower would be, but I cannot see HOW I could ever get to this handle. It's hard to believe anyone would make a part that can't be removed/tightened once a boat is assembled.

A)Well Welcome to boats 101 all manufactures assemble rigging while the boat is in two pieces. Then they don't understand when you send them a bill for warranty repair (It only took 10 min to install why is the bill for 4 hrs??) if you want to remove the handle use a hole saw to make a access point to get to the bolts.

3) Anyone changed conventional cleats/bow marker light to pop up styles? Big job? Anything I should know? I know it involves a good bit of cutting, but aside from that?

A) Not a big deal if you take your time (Remember measure twice cut once!) seal with silicon and run your drain lines.. Oh ya countersink your holes threw the gel to keep from cracking after hardware is mounted and do not over tighten the cleats! set in 5200 and snug them up!

I'm doing a big update this winter and just have a few questions on those areas right now. Thanks in advance.

Good luck with the project!

Last edited by blownincome; 11-28-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Put a new pop up bow light on mine this year, much much cleaner look, was a little messy from cutting through the gel & glass... Had to push it back up on the beak a Lil, the hole for the wires from the original I used as the farthest point forward...