MY 1st 32 fountain >

MY 1st 32 fountain

Notices

MY 1st 32 fountain

Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stand up with your azz to the cabin door, now drive it like a bulldozer.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lose the direction of the drives sometimes on the factory steering wheel in reverse, I have a new dino steering wheel that will better let me know the direction of the drives when backing up. Parts are coming in daily now.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glen george
I lose the direction of the drives sometimes on the factory steering wheel in reverse, I have a new dino steering wheel that will better let me know the direction of the drives when backing up. Parts are coming in daily now.
I understand exactly what you are talking about. I put this little device on my wheel and it works very well for me so far. It is called the Davis rudder indicator http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...r&merchID=4005

Normally I do not even have to turn the wheel that much when docking. I use the drives in fwd or rev; sometimes both (one fwd one rev) to steer the boat while docking.

2 good books I would reccomend on boat manuevering are " 7 steps to successful boat docking" by Ronald and Katherine Redmond and "Powerboat Handling" by Bob Sweet . they both have nice illustrations and they explain how the boat moves very clearly.

Last edited by rgrgoog; 01-05-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

You know I never seen that much difference when backing with the pros turning in or out.

With twins and turning the drives it is pretty easy getting into places, the bigger problem I have is the front catching wind.

The boat did drive better with them turning in, 28" Hydro's.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I do have those two docking books. I can whip around my truck and trailer into any tight spot and get it right on the 1st try. On my old single engine boat i was used to driving it using the steering wheel + shifter. This twin one I have been learning as I go with no twin experence. Hands off the steering wheel.

Last edited by glen george; 01-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
With twins and turning the drives it is pretty easy getting into places, the bigger problem I have is the front catching wind.

The boat did drive better with them turning in, 28" Hydro's.
Yes the wind is an issue for me as well. Almost like I have a sail up front. My boat is very stern heavy as well and the nose sits pretty high. I did also notice it was easier to manuever with a smaller pitch prop on my boat as well. I always try to get alot of practice. They say you should only move your boat as fast as you want it to hit the dock. Some guys make it look easy. I guess alot of practice is what it takes and each boat is different. I have also tried putting the tabs all the way down on windy days and that seems to help. I know my old Baja was alot easier to manuever than my Fountain but it was also alot slower.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
the bigger problem I have is the front catching wind.

Back when I used to be a power boater, I had the same problem. Dang nose would just keep on coming around.
Now Bob O's raft would track like it's on rails.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Back when I used to be a power boater, I had the same problem. Dang nose would just keep on coming around.
Now Bob O's raft would track like it's on rails.
I seen the pictures, you were a power boater at least once last year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is one more time then me.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Smile PARTS, 2012 plan of attack.

When I hear the UPS truck coming, I get excited. I must be a gearhead. 2012 plan of attack.
Attached Thumbnails MY 1st 32 fountain-imgp2547.jpg   MY 1st 32 fountain-imgp2548.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Nice! I am putting some Stainless Marine on my engines this year. I think I am going to add some Sea Strainers and a set of those "lifetime" water pumps that replace the Merc unit as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.