35 lightning twin step bottom >

35 lightning twin step bottom

Notices

35 lightning twin step bottom

Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 lightning twin step bottom

Does anyone know if they have done any changes to the 35 twin step bottom? I have a 2000 and I was wondering if they have changed anything over the years other than the x. When they went to the staggered setup did they change anything like step size or location?

The staggered set up is so much faster than the side by side, but couldn't you get the cg set up the same in both styles. Say in a side by side go with aluminum motors and move some weight around.... Just brainstorming. So that being said, then the additional speed would be from moving the drives together to get them farther up. By looking at pictures based off of the bottom of the swim platform the tops of the drives are in roughly just as high in a staggered as a later model side by side. Maybe Reggie will chime in.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Registered

I think the reduction in drag on staggered boats is what makes them faster. Yes, CG probably helps but bringing the drives in close together and higher is probably the key
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

No change in step size or location from my 03 to my 09 and pretty sure there was no changes before 03.

The difference between the handling and performance of the two boats is "staggering". Staggered boat does everything better except docking and cockpit space, and motors are so much more fun to access and wrench on.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

thanks for the info on the bottom. Do you know what the drive centers and X's are on the staggered models. With bravos of course though.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered

I'm with Kelly. Staggered is the only way to go due to the ability to actually work on the engines and all that other stuff back there.

Better performance is just the cherry on top.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered

I definatley have to agree with the ease of working on stuff. I had to change the bilge pumps when I bought mine and I thought i pulled every muscle in my neck and shoulders trying to reach stuff.

Thanks for the call this morning Reggie. I appreciate all the info you gave me.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by C.I.M.
I definatley have to agree with the ease of working on stuff. I had to change the bilge pumps when I bought mine and I thought i pulled every muscle in my neck and shoulders trying to reach stuff.

Thanks for the call this morning Reggie. I appreciate all the info you gave me.
Want to share that info?

Or is it double super secret, need to know only?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

Most of the info was about drive height and set up. He thinks I could put 2" shorties and herrings and pick up a few more mph. The bottoms on the 35's have not changed at all. The staggered weight distribution sounds like its not so much in the foreward to back and more side to side. Moving the motors closer to the center makes them handle better and have less tendancy to want to chine walk.