Dash panel makeover project... >

Dash panel makeover project...

Notices

Dash panel makeover project...

Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to replace my gauges and redo my panel as well, can someone give a contact number or email for Innotech
Thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by forgetg
I'm looking to replace my gauges and redo my panel as well, can someone give a contact number or email for Innotech
Thanks
http://innotechproducts.com/contact.html
Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'm finally tackling the main dash this weekend. Any of you guys that have done this already, do you have any tips / tricks / things to watch out for to offer to make this go more smoothly? I am using all of my existing gauges and switches, just swapping them out and moving to the new panel. I know there are a few master plugs and I've been told I should be able to remove the whole dash as a unit but there seems to be a number of things that have to stay in the boat. One thing I'm not sure of is the best way to disconnect the throttle / shifter cable assembly. All advice appreciated.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Progress...[ATTACH=CONFIG]508399[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]508400[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]508401[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Dash panel makeover project...-dashboard_1.jpg   Dash panel makeover project...-dashboard_2.jpg   Dash panel makeover project...-dashboard_3.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Looking good.......was there a harness connector so you could remove the dash with the wires connected to the gauges?..once your done do you want to come down to the Keys and do mine...LOL..free beer
Old 09-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by forgetg
Looking good.......was there a harness connector so you could remove the dash with the wires connected to the gauges?..once your done do you want to come down to the Keys and do mine...LOL..free beer
I was able to remove the dash with all of the wires connected, but there are only two harness connectors and everything else is connected with snap plugs, so I divided the bundles of wires into four groups, cable tied them together, and then labeled them individually so I can re-snap them together. There were also a few wires that had to be cut because they were crimped together instead of snap plugs and those will have to be re-soldered once I re-install the dash. The trim/drive switches, ignition switches and panel switches can all be removed from the back and moved to the new panel while still connected.

Overall, it's going pretty smoothly, I started Saturday morning, took me about 3 hours to get the dash out and most of that was spent labeling everything. I spent about 3 more hours on it Saturday afternoon removing the wiring and moving the gauges, and two hours yesterday moving the wiring to the new panel, and now the only thing I have left is reconnecting the LED's for the switches.

It's all pretty tedious work but rewarding watching it all come together. Can't wait until I get it back on the boat. I'd love to come to the Keys for the beer but not sure I'd be so enthusiastic about doing this for someone else... LOL... Here's a few tips on things that could trip you up.

1) Get yourself one of those P-Touch label makers with a few cartridges and label EVERYTHING before you remove a single wire. Take as many pictures as you can and for everything that you disconnect, write it down.

2) The FireBoy LED plaque is glued on the dash panel and behind it is where the screws are that hold the trim/drive indicators. I used a small 1" spackle knife and hammer to GENTLY break the seal of the glue to get it off without cracking it.

3) I needed a two-jaw puller for the steering wheel. My standard 3-point puller with bolts would not work.

4) I took the throttle/shifter assembly apart from the side screws rather than disconnect the cables. Make sure you make note of which way the neutral sensor wires are connected because they were different from port to starboard.

I'd be happy to offer pointers if you need it once you get started, so feel free to PM me.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Mines a bit older ...a 1990 Fever, in looking at the wiring under my dash it looks rather crammed in there, but I,m going to give it a try, and thanks for the tips
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

Just curious how much he charged you for that dash? I'm thinking of doing something similar
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tdpb2008
Just curious how much he charged you for that dash? I'm thinking of doing something similar
Out of respect for Steve, I don't want to broadcast his prices. I sent you a PM with details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.