New 500 EFIs being built by Potter Performance >

New 500 EFIs being built by Potter Performance

Notices

New 500 EFIs being built by Potter Performance

Old 06-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
FWIW. A few years back I built a 500 EFI 509" with a Crane 741, lifters, springs & rockers. 9:6-1 JEs, 315 CNC AFRs. Dynoed & tweaked by one of the best EFI guys around. Made 572HP @ 5400, 616tq @ 4500 on 89 octane. Correction factors, altitude, avg. humidity, air temp etc. for my area.

Get that boat in the water Lucky and run it like you stole it..
Jake this you can bet on. Its been a hell of a long road to do all of this and I cant wait to get my damn boat back and drink some beer on it.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucky1456
I see what you are saying now. Ron isn't offering to do any of these things for me. I didn't understand why we didn't change that whole fuel set up period. But for what ever reason he wanted to stay with that deal. I had the other fuel rails right in my hand and told them to throw them out. I didn't figure I needed them. It would be neat if I could find someone to tune it this way for me. I was telling Wildman that the fuel regulators were bad on both motors during the dyno session. I have four different sheets where they were tuning the ECMs to do what they should do. Wildman you have any suggestions? I see exactly what he is saying. I certainly have a whole hell of a lot more motor than before yet same fuel supply going into them. Maybe Ron feels this set up is more dependable like it is. I'm going to ask about it though bet that.
Did he use a bigger throttle body? I would think your 540 could use a 1000 CFM Mono Blade to bang out some HP.
Just sayin

A 500 or a 525 EFI intake, plenum, throttle body is much better than the 415 HP ones.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Jake; 06-22-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see what you are saying now. Ron isn't offering to do any of these things for me. I didn't understand why we didn't change that whole fuel set up period. But for what ever reason he wanted to stay with that deal. I had the other fuel rails right in my hand and told them to throw them out. I didn't figure I needed them. It would be neat if I could find someone to tune it this way for me. I was telling Wildman that the fuel regulators were bad on both motors during the dyno session. I have four different sheets where they were tuning the ECMs to do what they should do. Wildman you have any suggestions? I see exactly what he is saying. I certainly have a whole hell of a lot more motor than before yet same fuel supply going into them. Maybe Ron feels this set up is more dependable like it is. I'm going to ask about it though bet that.
You should see a nice pickup with what you are doing. In the end, it is you that needs to be happy.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1,330 Likes on 742 Posts

Wildman you have any suggestions?
Yea, run it and enjoy what you have. It's almost back together and ready, why mess with it, the water will limit your top speed more then the motors anyway.

Have fun the first time you push the throttles forward you will forget all this.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 06-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Registered

Thank You guys. I really needed that. Anyhow stopped by Ron's today for a few minutes and he had his guys plumbing up the motors. I had to drop off the flush kits for both motors and the new bilge pump hose. Maybe they got that part done today. Then go the headers on without tail pipes. Hopefully the weekend after the 4th I will have her back. Then I want to do a couple of things to her myself, like a new wind shield and new snap in carpet. Then a new stereo system and we are all set. As far as a new fuel system maybe next winter we will look into changing all of that. I tried to pay a set up for 550s and someone wanted nothing to do with any used parts. Than we needed a new ECM and all of that crap. Any suggestions on who to call to buy everything needed to make the change up?? Then I would need someone to tune them again. I guess I could have Ron do it for me.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Ok fellas. You have my interest. Where would I go to buy everything I need. The 1000 CFM throttle body injectors ECM. Everything I need to do this job. I didn't want these old throttle bodies anyhow. Let me know were to look. Everything else is new so I don't want used on any of it. Let me know. Last but not least can I have them dyno tuned in the boat?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered

Then maybe I will have the right ECM for the smart craft set up too.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for clarifying and I better understand your position now, this will actually be a good measure of the shop because anyone can provide great service to the big spenders, its what they deliver to the average guy that can be a great indicator of the quality of their "service"
I don't think its fair to judge the gains based on your estimated output of the engines in the condition your delivered them, I would think the gains should be measured based on a normal 500 efi but like I said earlier, I am in no way an experienced boater just a guy with common sense. That's why this thread is so interesting to me, I may be the guy with an average income that one day gets motors built buy a reputable shop. My common sense tells me that if you needed an improved fuel system Ron would have recommended it to you also.

Stimleck if I sounded like I was being ignorant to you I apologize because I wasn't. What I meant was this is a extremely busy shop. Potter does the type of work that most couldn't afford and when it started out as a simple manifold job I was very surprised he even took the job at all. Ron works for all the big boys with the big wallets so when numerous boats ended up in front of mine I was cool and just let things take its coarse. To me I believe you could be an ******* with a job like this and not get what you think you have if you know what I mean. I'm not saying that anyone is this way .I'm only saying it could go this way. Its like pissing off the cook at a restaurant and then wandering why the white stuff on your burger doesn't taste like mayo. Got me?? As far as mine only being a few horses. When my motors were at the top of there game they might have been 400 HP and maybe 315 FT LBS of torque. When I bought the boat I bet she didn't have 350 HP left in her. I ran it a summer and a manifold got a hole in it and filled one motor full of water. After checking things Ron found both had been taking water on the top end. So now my dyno sheet says we have 532 HP and 619 FT LBS of torque. This is a huge difference from what we pulled from the boat. The Motors are now 540 cubic inch and there isn't one piece reused except the blocks. Not even one screw or bolt. I took a five gallon bucket full of stainless steel bolts nuts and washers out of his shop so I know he didn't reuse one of those. As far as the price tag I don't remember posting on here what I paid for the job. Maybe I need to proof read the thread again but I don't think I did. Do I feel like I got my moneys worth?? Stay tuned because I can't tell you that until after the first few times I mash those throttles against the dash. Then I will let you know how I feel about all of this. Stay tuned.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Yep, I am very happy with my post build service with Ron, I have a 500 EFI we converted to a 540 making 700 horse out of it, any time there has been any minor problem, tuning or otherwise Ron has been right there to back it up like I am Speedracer. Tuning is as easy as meeting him at the ramp by the Circus museum and running up and down the river while he fiddles with the laptop.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok fellas. You have my interest. Where would I go to buy everything I need. The 1000 CFM throttle body injectors ECM. Everything I need to do this job. I didn't want these old throttle bodies anyhow. Let me know were to look. Everything else is new so I don't want used on any of it. Let me know. Last but not least can I have them dyno tuned in the boat?
You don't need a new ECM. Folks like Eddie Young and Mark Boos can tune them. They don't have to send them to a "Tuner."

Do NOT forget about the intake runners.

Personally I would enjoy the boat for now and finish making it into a 600 in the winter if that is what you still want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.