Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do "family functions" get in the way of your boating???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107404-do-family-functions-get-way-your-boating.html)

JasonSmith 07-11-2005 09:59 PM

Re: Do "family functions" get in the way of your boating????

Man, do they ever. My little girl's birthday is the 3rd of July. Better having her than being at the lake but it is still in the back of my mind.

292SR1 07-11-2005 10:00 PM

Thankfully I married a boater so weekends = boating. :D

Our first child was in the boat at 5 days old and has always been keen. Both kids (6 & 9) can't get enough.

Would agree that non-boaters just don't get it. We are gladly selfish about our boat time and just say no to events that would eat up precious summer weather. :drink:

jspeeddemon 07-11-2005 11:27 PM

I think more importantly that what this thread demonstrates is that boaters are an independent group, who aren't led around by bull**** from significant others or any immediate family. I believe to own a boat and use it you have to an independent thinking adventureous person. My wife doesn't even ask anymore, she assumes that i won't be going if it's a function in the summer. I skipped a wedding this Saturday of her first cousin, that isn't anywhere near close enough family relation for me to give up a boating day. They waved at me from the balcony of the reception as I screamed by on my boat. I am sure there were people at the wedding who didn't realte to why I wasn't there, but I don't have time to explain it to them. I think that when you tell people you went boating, all they think about is you went water skiing and tubing, they don't realize it's a whole additional family out there on the water that you enjoy spending time with. It is understood that from May till September, not to expect that I will be at any function on the land. All my boating cohorts, say " Ah you mean you are with your land family." Life should be about doing what makes you happy, you only live once. You should be the captain of your own ship, sail it anywhere you like. My wife and I give each other this latitude unselfishly, it really blows other peoples minds who are real clingy, constantly asking, Where is your wife?"

Dusty Times 07-11-2005 11:58 PM

One Word:

YES

Airpacker 07-12-2005 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by noboat

Plus, even if they can go when they are really young you can't go out all day unless you have the right boat. And I know I sure as hell don't have that type of boat! So, if I ever have kids I'll have to get a more "family-oriented" boa. :D

Oh, you mean like my 90mph 25 foot cat? :)

Stormrider 07-12-2005 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Turbojack
By daughter was boating when she was 3 weeks old who was born in July. My son born in January was 4 months old before he got started. There is NO excuse for not getting out with one that old.

We lost a friend??? because she did not understand that boating was more important then going to a baby shower for her daughter-in-law.

I could take the baby out for a slow ride, but to get up on plane and bounce around doesn't seem right. Also, I wouldnt go out for a long day with him in the sun.
I will be taking him out when we go for our family vacation, when we take short trips from pt. A to B in calm waters.

I was on my fathers boat as soon as summer came. But he had a 38 bertram that ran 16kts, not a 24ft 7ft beam that runs 40-50 cruise.

enticer 07-12-2005 08:12 AM

I always tell people who have functions on boating season weekends........."if it snows we will be at the function" if it doesn't.....don't look for us

mopower 07-12-2005 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by masi242
Most people just don`t understand how much we love our boats :D

That , and combined with a limited time frame in the north , we're already limited to perhaps only 5 to 6 months X 8 weekend days is 40 to 48 opportunities. Now throw in a few rainy weekends :mad: and we have to be crazy spending what we do on this habit :stupid:

PWRQWST 07-12-2005 08:38 AM

I JUST DONT GO
My friends send us invatations but they know unless it is raining that I will not be there. The misses will go to some of them so I drop her off at the dock and pick her up later. I have friends who own boats and they will spend a Sat or a Sunday painting a wall or landscaping or go to family things, I straight up tell them they are nuts and that work can be done Monday through Friday evenings. Alot of our non boating friends all have young children and have b-day parties on Saturdays between 1 to 5 pm :eek: so we dont go. My family does not even tell me about the functions anymore in the summer :D

Queenie 07-12-2005 12:03 PM

This is only my 3rd summer of boating since meeting and marrying Rob. He was a boater 4 or 5 years before I met him. He made it very clear that no plans were to be made on the weekends the first summer we boated together.

I squeaked one or two in (and he grumbled the entire time) that first summer. Since then I have become so addicted to boating that I now tell my non-boating friends that unless it rains or snows, you won't see us.

We did attend 2 graduation parties in June. Fortunately for the first one the boat wasn't in yet and for the second one we got there 15 minutes before it started and barely stayed an hour so we could get on the water.

Our non-boating friends now understand. We are invited but they know most likely unless it rains they're not going to see us.