Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Something Just doesnt seem right (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107705-something-just-doesnt-seem-right.html)

FINMAN 07-14-2005 11:23 AM

Something Just doesnt seem right

3 Attachment(s)
Damage to BP's Thunder Horse Platform From Hurricane Dennis

FINMAN 07-14-2005 11:24 AM

Re: Something Just doesnt seem right

1 Attachment(s)
another one.

cuda 07-14-2005 11:29 AM

Funny that it knocked that over, and barely blew down trees on the shore. Looks like another excuse to raise oil prices to me. :mad:

Dave98 07-14-2005 11:45 AM

I read on MSN today that some Congressmen were asking for the President to release some of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to help stabilize gas prices. Seeing the pictures above reminded me of another article I recently read that prices are more dependent (at this time) on our ability to refine the oil and we (the USA) have been shutting down refineries for several years.

So I am really confused. It seems like releasing more oil and not be able to refine it would not help the problem.

:( It seems like there is a plan but I am not sure who's side those making the plans are on........

Wobble 07-14-2005 11:48 AM

I worked on rigs of this type and others for seven years. They are designed to face way worse weather than that storm. The ballast system is very sophisticated and capable of fully automatic operation. Maybe they have a microsoft operating system :evilb:

FINMAN 07-14-2005 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dave98
I read on MSN today that some Congressmen were asking for the President to release some of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to help stabilize gas prices. Seeing the pictures above reminded me of another article I recently read that prices are more dependent (at this time) on our ability to refine the oil and we (the USA) have been shutting down refineries for several years.

So I am really confused. It seems like releasing more oil and not be able to refine it would not help the problem.

:( It seems like there is a plan but I am not sure who's side those making the plans are on........

From what I understand, they USA gets the majority of its oil from Canada. Last I checked Dennis has not effected them much. Did you notice how fast gas prices went up before Dennis came and not going down after he left.

Cris

Shooter 07-14-2005 11:59 AM

It was somehting,

The Spiegel Grove, a known wreck to dive off Key LArgo which is 560' long on it's side was righted by Dennis. I dove that thing and it's 100' down!

rainmn 07-14-2005 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by FINMAN
From what I understand, they USA gets the majority of its oil from Canada. Last I checked Dennis has not effected them much. Did you notice how fast gas prices went up before Dennis came and not going down after he left.

Cris

It's the same with any event that affects gas prices. They go up at the pump within minutes, but take months to come back down after the original "Problem" is solved.

Chris288 07-14-2005 01:06 PM

gas in my area is now 2.55 2.65 and 2.75 diesel is around 2.79... :mad:

CigDaze 07-14-2005 01:36 PM

From what I read, they just barely completed building that rig...maybe it wasn't quite complete.

In any event, it's true that refining is the main choking point for the U.S., coupled with many new regulations on pollution control and expensive required additives, driving prices high.

Good news though, it has been reported today that China has a "sudden and mysterious" decline in consumption. That should help.