Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   MUFFLERS...are you using them or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108751-mufflers-you-using-them-not.html)

10x 01-01-2006 01:22 PM

Re: MUFFLERS...are you using them or not?

We ran dry big tube Stellings on a pr. of BIG hp S/C engines. The boat was pretty loud, as a matter of fact......... REAL loud. :rolleyes: When we would come back to our slip, I've had people tell me that when I started my boat, I scared the $hit out of their children. And their boat was at the other end of the dock! :eek:
I would'nt even think of starting my engines after dark or coming back into the harbor late at night cause I'd probably wake up the whole harbor.

Put some of those Shotgun silencers on to soften up the bark, :rolleyes: but, there's hardly a noticable difference. Maybe a few deciples or so. I'm sure that sooner or later I'm gonna have to decide on a real muffler. :(
Looks like everyone here is happy with the GGB's. I've heard em, and they sound great, but I don't want a full time muffler.
Sometimes when your way out running real hard, you just want to listen to the pipes roar. :D

What's the best switchable muffler for no powerloss for 1000 hp S/C's? Or is there even a switchable muffler that'll work?
Thanks.........Frank

RonS 01-01-2006 03:12 PM

10X I think I'm going to try the Livorsi E series or CMI, I guess they are pretty much the same thing. They're closed at idle, once you the rpm's go up they open up and it is pretty much open exhaust. Watched them work on a pair N/A 540's putting out around 600 to 650 hp, as soon as he hit blipped the throttles it was plenty loud, but at idle it quieted it down real nice.

38KV 01-01-2006 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Scarab 38KV

Twin 454s

Dry tubular headers with dry 4.5" tail pipes.

No mufflers. 114 dB @ idle.

10x 01-01-2006 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by RonS
10X I think I'm going to try the Livorsi E series or CMI, I guess they are pretty much the same thing. They're closed at idle, once you the rpm's go up they open up and it is pretty much open exhaust. Watched them work on a pair N/A 540's putting out around 600 to 650 hp, as soon as he hit blipped the throttles it was plenty loud, but at idle it quieted it down real nice.

Thanks, I'll ask Mike Livorsi about them next week at the Chi-town boat show. :D

MILD THUNDER 01-01-2006 06:44 PM

Thats pretty much how the Drew Marine shotgun tips work. I had them on my old 540, they helped take some of the bark out.

RonS 01-01-2006 07:52 PM

Actually they are nothing like the shot guns, they do a much better job, should bring you down to about 86db with 500 hp's.

articfriends 01-02-2006 01:43 PM

950 hp blown 540 single w/stainless marine hi tq 3's w/5 inch tails adding water right at the tip,so loud I could not stand it.Added ggb's,still pretty throaty,lost NO top end,Smitty

Lofty 01-02-2006 03:22 PM

GGB's all the way. We've put them on dozens of boats. They work without HP loss. I found they where too quite on mine so I pulled the internal flappers out and they have a nice rummble.

JasonSmith 01-04-2006 01:14 PM

I have IMCO muffler tips & Corsa fixed diverters on 454 MPI's
Not too quiet but there is a noticeable difference with them.
No speed/rpm loss.