Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Stereo System 101 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117774-boat-stereo-system-101-a.html)

UNSANE 01-01-2006 10:15 PM

Re: Boat Stereo System 101

You really don't need a "marine" amp if it's going to be in the cabin IMO. If you're using the Kickers I would highly recommend those amps I told you about a few posts back. I'll do some more checking on the amps you're asking about now, but I really think they're a little short on the power. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

OldSchool 01-02-2006 03:05 PM

I went with the JL Audio amp. The 45 W is @ 12.5 volts, so when the boat is running, the figure /channel rms is 70W @14.5 volts.

I'm sure that it will be loud enough for what we will use it for.

Now, the only thing left to get is the head unit!! Any suggestions? I was thinking of the Pioneer DEH-P80MP. Anyone have any experience with that model???

For the rest of the system, this is what I have already bought:
Cabin speakers: 4 X Babb model 534
Cockpit speakers: 4 X Kicker KS65
Amp: JL Audio e4300

OldSchool 01-10-2006 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everything has arrived and is ready to install. I plan on using 4 gauge wire for the amp power. What gauge speaker wire should I use??

This is what I ended up with equipment-wise and cost:

Head unit: Pioneer Premier DEH-P470MP $149.99
Amp: JL Audio e4300 $199.99
Speakers:
Cabin: 4 Babb #534's $219.99
Cockpit: 4 Kicker KS65's $139.98
XM Interface Box: Pioneer GEX-P920XM $104.99

Total: $814.94

It's yet to be seen if this system is going to be sufficient or not...only time will tell. I think that it will be fine for what we use it for:rolleyes: I ended up a bunch of $$$ under budget and the only thing left to buy are my amp power cables, the rca cables from the head unit to the amp and the speaker wire.

UNSANE 01-10-2006 08:12 PM

You're not running a lot of power to those speakers so a huge guage is not necessary but going too small will increase the resistance. 14 AWG should be ok, but right now I'm having a brain fart trying to remember how big 14 really is. You might be ok even with 16. You'll know if your system is not enough when you run out of volume and run into distortion. That's my only concern is that this amp might be on the short side of the power for. Also hook that amp up to a switch so you can just run the cabin speakers at night if you want.

OldSchool 01-10-2006 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by UNSANE
You're not running a lot of power to those speakers so a huge guage is not necessary but going too small will increase the resistance. 14 AWG should be ok, but right now I'm having a brain fart trying to remember how big 14 really is. You might be ok even with 16. You'll know if your system is not enough when you run out of volume and run into distortion. That's my only concern is that this amp might be on the short side of the power for. Also hook that amp up to a switch so you can just run the cabin speakers at night if you want.

I hooked up the head unit in my house and it's very loud without the amp and the Babb speakers! I am going to install a toggle switch on the dash for the cockpit amp/speakers. That's the blue wire that goes from the head unit to the amp for power on ..right?

excursion 01-10-2006 10:09 PM

Craig, I have one set of 10" BABB's (NEW) in white forsale, I know the CIG's used them for years, and sounded great.

Good luck, James

OldSchool 01-11-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by excursion
Craig, I have one set of 10" BABB's (NEW) in white forsale, I know the CIG's used them for years, and sounded great.

Good luck, James

PM me how much you want for them and your phone #. Are they new?

OldSchool 03-05-2006 08:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, here's an update on "The stereo install" for anyone who is interested. I've got everything done except the mounting of the cockpit speakers. I used tinned 16 gauge duplex wire for the speakers, 4 gauge power and ground wire and ran new wire for the power to the head unit and XM radio box. It's not rocket science, but I took my time and did everything the right way (I hope). :D I took out a board from a closet in the cabin and mounted the amp and hooked up all of the wires at home and left pigtails. It made the install alot easier as my fat azz can't fit in the closet :rolleyes: :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

The head unit and cabin speakers are hooked up. I was really surprised at how good (and loud) they sound. This sucker is going to ROCK with the amp and additional 4 speakers in the cockpit added! :D

Here are a few pics

OldSchool 03-05-2006 08:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A few more.

FOUNTAINATLAST 03-05-2006 10:25 AM

Very nicely done, rigging looks perfect....