Another stereo question - speakers

Notices

Another stereo question - speakers

Old 01-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another stereo question - speakers

6.5" vs. 6"x9"

Just when I thought I had my system figured out! I was told that 6.5" speakers actually sound better than 6"x9" speakers. Opinions?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

round speakers have a more clearer sound from what I have been told because the cone is uniform in size.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

if you can hear the difference between a 6.5 and 6x9, and care enough to know that you hear the difference. you need to adjust the bra that is on top of your head so that they may sound the same.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Registered

mechanically, you can build a lighter, stronger speaker in a round cone shape then out of a oval cone shape, so in that instance the waterfall chart would show alittle difference. and further more you could consider the cone being a horn because of the point of initiation and it could give the 6x9 a wider dispertion pattern. but the main reason I would rather use a 6.5 is to be able to use a hole saw to cut the hole easier then a saw cutting an oval
Old 01-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
if you can hear the difference between a 6.5 and 6x9, and care enough to know that you hear the difference. you need to adjust the bra that is on top of your head so that they may sound the same.
LOL, I was just commenting on what I was told!
Old 01-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Registered

mechanically, you can build a lighter, stronger speaker in a round cone shape then out of a oval cone shape, so in that instance the waterfall chart would show alittle difference. and further more you could consider the cone being a horn because of the point of initiation and it could give the 6x9 a wider dispertion pattern. but the main reason I would rather use a 6.5 is to be able to use a hole saw to cut the hole easier then a saw cutting an oval
Man, there are way to many choices out there!

I am looking at Infinity Kappa speakers, 693.7i(6x9) or 63.7i(6.5). So, in your opinion, what would sound better. 4 6x9s, rated at 110 watts RMS, with 125 watts RMS to each or 4 6.5s, rated at 75 watts RMS, with 90 watts RMS to each?

Or would your above comment come into play and it depend on how my head bra was adjusted?

Last edited by onesickpantera; 01-14-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Registered

power is the key to life, I would go with the most power you can. the shape and size of the speakers does not have that much to do with it.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

power is the key to life, I would go with the most power you can. the shape and size of the speakers does not have that much to do with it.
I know a lot of people underpower the speakers. I always try to overpower by about 10%(at rms).

What are the advantages of going to component speakers? I know they are suppose to sound better but why? Are they better speakers or just the crossover systems help them produce better sound?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Registered

actually co-axial speakers sound better, but there are more speakers out there that are seperate that use better parts and crossovers, that is why people think seperate are better. If you could get a single speaker to produce the full spectrum of sound it would be the best, so you need to get as close to that as possible, which means that a coax speaker is technically better.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered

actually co-axial speakers sound better, but there are more speakers out there that are seperate that use better parts and crossovers, that is why people think seperate are better. If you could get a single speaker to produce the full spectrum of sound it would be the best, so you need to get as close to that as possible, which means that a coax speaker is technically better.
Wow, I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Another stereo question - speakers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.