Like Tree0Likes

Another stereo question - speakers

Reply
Old 01-14-2006, 01:46 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default Another stereo question - speakers

6.5" vs. 6"x9"

Just when I thought I had my system figured out! I was told that 6.5" speakers actually sound better than 6"x9" speakers. Opinions?
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:08 PM
  #2
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
US1 Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lafayette. IN
Posts: 10,866
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

round speakers have a more clearer sound from what I have been told because the cone is uniform in size.
US1 Fountain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:38 PM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BigSilverCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Joplin, Mo
My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

if you can hear the difference between a 6.5 and 6x9, and care enough to know that you hear the difference. you need to adjust the bra that is on top of your head so that they may sound the same.
BigSilverCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:42 PM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BigSilverCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Joplin, Mo
My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

mechanically, you can build a lighter, stronger speaker in a round cone shape then out of a oval cone shape, so in that instance the waterfall chart would show alittle difference. and further more you could consider the cone being a horn because of the point of initiation and it could give the 6x9 a wider dispertion pattern. but the main reason I would rather use a 6.5 is to be able to use a hole saw to cut the hole easier then a saw cutting an oval
BigSilverCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:56 PM
  #5
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
if you can hear the difference between a 6.5 and 6x9, and care enough to know that you hear the difference. you need to adjust the bra that is on top of your head so that they may sound the same.
LOL, I was just commenting on what I was told!
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:03 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
mechanically, you can build a lighter, stronger speaker in a round cone shape then out of a oval cone shape, so in that instance the waterfall chart would show alittle difference. and further more you could consider the cone being a horn because of the point of initiation and it could give the 6x9 a wider dispertion pattern. but the main reason I would rather use a 6.5 is to be able to use a hole saw to cut the hole easier then a saw cutting an oval
Man, there are way to many choices out there!

I am looking at Infinity Kappa speakers, 693.7i(6x9) or 63.7i(6.5). So, in your opinion, what would sound better. 4 6x9s, rated at 110 watts RMS, with 125 watts RMS to each or 4 6.5s, rated at 75 watts RMS, with 90 watts RMS to each?

Or would your above comment come into play and it depend on how my head bra was adjusted?

Last edited by onesickpantera; 01-14-2006 at 04:28 PM.
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:19 PM
  #7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BigSilverCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Joplin, Mo
My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

power is the key to life, I would go with the most power you can. the shape and size of the speakers does not have that much to do with it.
BigSilverCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:34 PM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
power is the key to life, I would go with the most power you can. the shape and size of the speakers does not have that much to do with it.
I know a lot of people underpower the speakers. I always try to overpower by about 10%(at rms).

What are the advantages of going to component speakers? I know they are suppose to sound better but why? Are they better speakers or just the crossover systems help them produce better sound?
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:03 PM
  #9
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BigSilverCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Joplin, Mo
My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

actually co-axial speakers sound better, but there are more speakers out there that are seperate that use better parts and crossovers, that is why people think seperate are better. If you could get a single speaker to produce the full spectrum of sound it would be the best, so you need to get as close to that as possible, which means that a coax speaker is technically better.
BigSilverCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:08 PM
  #10
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default Re: Another stereo question - speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
actually co-axial speakers sound better, but there are more speakers out there that are seperate that use better parts and crossovers, that is why people think seperate are better. If you could get a single speaker to produce the full spectrum of sound it would be the best, so you need to get as close to that as possible, which means that a coax speaker is technically better.
Wow, I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info.
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Clay Washington
Cigarette
3
08-31-2011 12:13 PM
Wooderson
General Q & A
4
12-04-2006 12:11 PM
InXS
Cigarette
4
06-14-2006 08:49 AM
Raypanic
General Boating Discussion
3
04-27-2002 08:32 AM
26scarab
General Boating Discussion
17
02-22-2002 12:05 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.