Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

Notices

Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

anyone notice he also nearly lost the whole trailer. the hitch-clip for the tonge lock (lack of proper terminology, i know) is unlocked and looks like it was ready to jump off the ball.

those who don't strap'er down might also want to consider a "locking" tongue lock! eek!!! thank goodness he's not a cig owner!!! we'd have never heard the end of it from the "beaky-boys." haha.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Couple things...

First, I too noticed the unlocked trailer hitch coupler latch. What's up with that? Also, the safety chains are wrapped around the coupler. Were they ever attached? Looks to me like someone was putting the cart before the horse since he woke up.

Second, is Post 3, Pic 2 the first picture taken? It looks like the boat is much closer to the driver's side of the truck, and quite higher in this pic. Did it land here first, and then did someone pull the boat toward the passenger side to land more toward the now bowed tailgate? There is more to this story.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:07 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CMG
doh! thought the 7 was a 1
I thought it was a 1 too....
Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

ok so the guy messed up. What i find amazing is the way everyone is speculating and saying he was a dipshlt... Suppose by the time the pics were taken he was trying to fix some things, like with the tire being there and perhaps he unlocked the trailer and the chains to move things around to start to rectify the situation...some of you higher than thou people really need to lighten up....I really find it hard to believe that he was just sitting there with his thumb inserted not trying to get it back on the trailer.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:09 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but drillin if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck - no straps, low position of the bow stop - teflon strips - towing with a CHEVY! but seriously if had tied down wouldn't have been in the situation to begin with
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

The ball hitch lock and the safety chains were removed while they were trying to jack the trailer up off the truck. It wasn't being towed like that.

And yes, that's the one for sale.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a bow and stern strap but I'm not sure they are heavy enough. 4000lb boat loaded. What size strap should be used? They are rated differently, pulling wgt, working wgt, rolling wgt. All very confusing!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by CMG
but drillin if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck - no straps, low position of the bow stop - teflon strips - towing with a CHEVY! but seriously if had tied down wouldn't have been in the situation to begin with
but, he isnt the manufacturer of the trailer, YES, he should have had rear straps, but how many on here change there straps when they should, maybe I should ask Bubba(warparty36) who buys straps from him every year. this is as bad as the thread when people were jumping on sleeper dave about his life jacket...So help me, you friggin hypocrites better never let me catch you doing something not so perfect...ESPECIALLY the ones that I see in my area on poker runs, if your gonna talk the talk you better walk it...

Do you really think for one second this guy wanted this to happen??? CMG with your stupid ass comments he could have had it strapped all the way around and flipped it and you would have blamed his tow rig.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Re: Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

That sux!! That qualifies as a bad day for sure...
Old 02-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisistank
The ball hitch lock and the safety chains were removed while they were trying to jack the trailer up off the truck. It wasn't being towed like that.

And yes, that's the one for sale.
Notice the bent tab on the bottom of the stern drive? I take it this guy is taking the boat out and beating on it. I wonder if he dropped the price since the accident ?

Quick Reply: Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.