Great Moments In V Bottom History >

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Notices

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Old 09-04-2001, 05:24 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
The stepped bottom goes back way before then. I don't know the exact year but it was when the hulls were still made from wood....
Old 09-04-2001, 07:47 AM
Nut
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

The Fountian hook nose (beak)is just a copy of the Hydrostream nose from the 70's. plus the way the fountain's sit in the water from a side veiw they look like over size Hydrostreams with i/o's
Old 09-04-2001, 07:55 AM
ScreaminDemon

FYI -"The quest for speed" by Kevin Desmond, states the first stepped boat was intoduced around 1910...Paul Fiore introduced the step on the Hustler in 1988.

Old 09-04-2001, 09:05 AM
jb
Registered

Cutwater....sweet reply
He said she did they copied. Who the hell cares. Whats good today!!!!!! and where is it taking us in the future!?!?!?!!?
History is great when its factual, but its just facts.
Give me a boat with history any day. And I will park it for use only on special occasions.
Look at all the copies and modificatios over the years, and except for fountains, we are thankful someone did them.(just kiddin on the Fountain thing)
I am glad my boats not a 31' wooden boat with a 100 horse motor!!
great first Post...do you really think he is a NEW member???
Old 09-04-2001, 10:42 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Random answers:

1. I like Peter Hledin and respect him, love his boats actually, But he never claimed to "invent" the catamaran, or steps, or tunnel hulls. Sadly Peter has been "popped" (slang term referring to copied) by a few other builders. Peter's brother on the other hand invented the most incredible intake manifold for v-6 Mercuries....... of course you all knew that!

2. Dave P. I consider you a friend... and so does my son. Please consider that Don Aronow was from NJ too. He built homes in the Edison area..... Yeah he was a contractor but, you knew that. I don't think the quote you attributed to him last week was actually authored by Don...rather it was repeated from Sun Tzu's "Art of War".

3. Thanks for the comments , kind and unkind... I am amazed at how angry people become on websites (Web rage?) I hope this stimulates some free thought and skepticism of the ridiculous PR that may cause some people to make regretable hull choices.

4. I'll attempt a Great Moments in Cat History... Later this week.

Old 09-04-2001, 11:07 AM
jb
Registered

T2x
Ok Ok, all things aside, you certainly stimulated conversation.
If you had your choice; since you supposedly have an educated opinion, what would you buy to have and drive at this point in time year 2001. And tell us why.
jb

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: jb ]
Old 09-04-2001, 11:50 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Okay JB, since you asked, for your review my humble opinions.

V-Bottoms ( If I had to own one)

Under 20'- Allison for reasons previously stated... Speed, styling, originality.. besides I had a twin engine 16 footer in 1966 and found it to be quite competitive on the race course

20'to25'- 21' Challenger/Shadow(except for the 2 step bottom hulls in existence) for reasons previously stated.. great construction, fit and finish, handling, and performance. It actually won an award from NASA as the finest example of aerospace influenced technology in 1977. Sadly, you'll have to find a used one...no longer in production.

26'to30'- 30' Sutphen .. No steps, sturdy and a great guy builds em'...

31'to40'- Non stepped Cigarette or Sutphen...Or I'd have Steve Stepp build me a non racing (strong) Velocity.

41'to50'- Since you have to hate yourself to own a triple engined boat. The only candidate that comes to mind is an old 41 Apache..... Probably the best Rough Water V in history... At least with Bobby Saccenti on the throttles. Anything bigger than that, buy a Sea Ray or a Sun Seeker ( I really think that 41' is ample for a Penile substitute)

Cats

Under 20'- ..... No cat under 20' is a "pleasure".... If you must...buy a Seebold and join the PROP tour...but you better be a helluva driver.

21'& up-... Stop trying to skimp on the bucks...It doesn't work in this league..... buy a Skater...

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: T2x ]
Old 09-04-2001, 12:30 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
you mean "Splashed"
Old 09-04-2001, 12:51 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

T2x. Thanks for the post. Well written and entertaining. Keep 'em coming.

Sean
Old 09-04-2001, 11:33 PM
Mr. Go Fast

Talking

Oh my, oh my T2x thinks Steve Stepp can build a strong boat. That's like sayin' Mike Tyson is a sweet gentle man!
Leroy

Quick Reply: Great Moments In V Bottom History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.