Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Great Moments In V Bottom History >

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Notices

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Old 09-18-2001, 02:52 PM
ThunderousDaze

T2x...i have read several different books and they state that the more steps in the bottom, the slower the hull will perform. If this is true, then why would Outerlimits and the others have multiple steps? Just Curious!

Old 09-18-2001, 03:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

THIS IS VERY FUNNY. P.S I DID SEE A OUTERLIMITS FAIL
Old 09-18-2001, 04:11 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bulldog,
Loved the reply. I laughed my ass off.
BUT, you did miss one important historical event...
2984 B.C.- Mr. Hollis Wood, (known as "Woody"), attempts to hire monkeys to drive his newest creation which he copied from Mr. Og, (hollowed out tree trunk with sexier lines), in order to make a name for himself in the marine industry. The new creation turns out to be a flop, literally, (the monkeys kept leaning over to look at fish and flopped over) and the new creation is sold to Disney when they realized what a "Mickey Mouse" contraption it was.
Mr. Wood then went on to invent a rear engine vehicle later called the "Herbie" which was also bought by Disney, (they have a thing for mickey mouse contraptions, don't they?). The Herbie was then copied by a German proctologist with a large family who renamed it the "Volkswagon", (Herbie with sexier lines).
Mr. Hollis Wood then moved his family to a small hill in California and invested his money from his two mickey mouse creations and set up a glitzy tourist stop now frequented by movie stars.
His homestead is still in existence today and is now known as Hollywood.

And THAT my friends, is the rest of the story!

Good day!

(disclaimer) I neither confirm, nor deny any factual information that anyone may have enterpreted from this story. The names mentioned have remained the same but the mothers maiden name has been left out to protect those who may have had an affair in the days B.C.

Old 09-18-2001, 05:14 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Off Handed---- in answer to your questions i submit the following:

1. Only on the port side

2. Depends on whether your using yards or meters

3. No but it may be in the future.

For further info contact Marcus Zavattaro, owner of "Bang's Wild Child". He seems to care more about these things than I do.

Thunderous Daze-- A monohull achieves maximum speed when the smallest amount of bottom is in contact with the water (generally the few inches forward of the transom). Therefore at speed, steps are generally out of the water....or creating unneccessary drag. When steps were originally created( Back in the early 20th century) boats were slower( 20-75 mph) and the break in the running surface created less wetted area...... hence less drag.

Manufacturers today do not admit to their foibles because:

1. They needed something "different" to sell you in the late 80's & early 90's . Otherwise you'd be buying old Apache's and Sutphens.

2. They invested a LOT of money in retooling their hulls.

3. They invested a LOT of money in marketing their "Gimmick".

4. Many people believed them.......
Old 09-18-2001, 07:10 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We bought the first 2150 Hammond( remember Bob Hammond,founder of Glastron)which was a licsened George Linder design, in 1979. The boat was so far ahead of its time that no one realized it. An employee ours has a 1982 2150 Hammond with the same bottom,no steps,no tricks,just a Paul Allison type pad,and 20 years later there is nothing,I repeat nothing, that can come close to the performance,ride and handling of this design.There are several copies still out there still but it is interesting that George's 1975 design has never been equalled.Trends may come and go but true design genius is lasting.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:32 PM
ScreaminDemon

I am sure George Linder and his team have a Step bottom design that would be fantastic...and i would bet that it would be a "single" step...if you do it right, one is all it takes!

Old 09-19-2001, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

T2X,

I agree with you on the old Apache's and Sutphens. I had a 30 Sutphen which was a great boat, even with the Kaamas. That boat was fast. But I don't think I will go back a Vee, not even at gun point.

Now you people start buying stocks some my portfolio will go up again. I want to move up to a Skater.

mike
Old 09-19-2001, 03:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

TX2,
I have heard that there are many boast that have been splashed or popped from the Excaliber other than Fountains. MAybe you could shed some light on this for me...Thanks
Todd
Old 09-19-2001, 03:54 PM
ThunderousDaze

i belive the excalibur was popped from a well know boat back then...

Old 09-19-2001, 03:59 PM
ScreaminDemon

lets go the ohter direction with our T2x leader...WHAT V-hull boat was NOT popped? This should be a very SHORT list!

Quick Reply: Great Moments In V Bottom History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.