lake erie jet ski accident

Notices

lake erie jet ski accident

Old 06-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: lake erie jet ski accident

Originally Posted by camptappakeg69
In NY they have to have a 10hr safety course and pass a written test to operate a pwc according to the "LAW" or you will get a ticket or a slap on the hand.

In that course it says every other boat on the lake has the right of way over a pwc....just my .02
OK - I'll be your "Huckleberry"

How much does it cost to take the course?
I can walk in and buy a car, bike, jet-ski, boat - with no proof of a license. Dealer/Private owner - doesn't care. It comes down to personal responsibility of the owner.
I don't have to take a course to operate a powerboat ( by LAW at least) - but I would take one if I didn't have any knowledge. I grew up on a boat from the time I was 10, my dad's Chapman's was read more by me than him - it still sits on the lower shelf of my coffee table.
My point being - you can get a Jet Ski brand new for what 5-6K, payment plan - under $100 a month - anyone of at least ample means can get into one.
Yes, the Gov't wants a piece of this action. REQUIRE a class for these people, instant revenue. and it sells well to the public for "safety on the waterways". I also imagine if you can prove that you are a boat owner, or have boating experience - you can be waved from the course. Just a speculation.

There are safe Jet skiers, just as there are safe Offshore Boaters.

BUT, there are also dumbazzes in both groups as well.
This is what makes the jet-skiers look bad (and why we all Bit#h about them)
But, this is also why the sailboaters and cruiser's/runabouts bit#h about us.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camptappakeg69
In NY they have to have a 10hr safety course and pass a written test to operate a pwc according to the "LAW" or you will get a ticket or a slap on the hand.

In that course it says every other boat on the lake has the right of way over a pwc....just my .02

Same in CT. I have to have a license to operate on Long Island Sound having moved here. If I go buy a PWC new I get
a 90 day grace period.

God Bless the families, so young.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

So now you have a dumba$$ with a license.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
So now you have a dumba$$ with a license.
And you just funded the Gov't to regulate it.
My point exactly!

I guess I'm still in "huckleberry" mode....
Old 06-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
OK - I'll be your "Huckleberry"

How much does it cost to take the course?
I can walk in and buy a car, bike, jet-ski, boat - with no proof of a license. Dealer/Private owner - doesn't care. It comes down to personal responsibility of the owner.
I don't have to take a course to operate a powerboat ( by LAW at least) - but I would take one if I didn't have any knowledge. I grew up on a boat from the time I was 10, my dad's Chapman's was read more by me than him - it still sits on the lower shelf of my coffee table.
My point being - you can get a Jet Ski brand new for what 5-6K, payment plan - under $100 a month - anyone of at least ample means can get into one.
Yes, the Gov't wants a piece of this action. REQUIRE a class for these people, instant revenue. and it sells well to the public for "safety on the waterways". I also imagine if you can prove that you are a boat owner, or have boating experience - you can be waved from the course. Just a speculation.

There are safe Jet skiers, just as there are safe Offshore Boaters.

BUT, there are also dumbazzes in both groups as well.
This is what makes the jet-skiers look bad (and why we all Bit#h about them)
But, this is also why the sailboaters and cruiser's/runabouts bit#h about us.
The course was free through the power squadron, they give a cert with that you pay $10 and get the "license" in the mail.
there was other courses that were more $ for the same thing.
payable to NYS parks & rec , I asked at the course what is the deal with having to get licenseing for a pwc, but anyone over 12( I think) can operate any motorboat from a 10hp outboard to a 1100+hp outerlimits without even so much as a drivers license

According to our instructor it is to bring liabilty to the table.

B4 this law (only 2 years now I believe) if you got a ticket for anything on the water (except BWI) you could basically say "I didn't know any better" and it basically would get thrown out of court. Makes sense to me , cause now the ins. comp can hold someone accountable.

Was also told it would only be a matter of time B4 this would be applied to boats as well

I to have been around boats and the lake for all my life, Knew how to drive a boat b4 riding a bike from dear old gramps(RIP)

I agree it just about the $ and its up to the indvidual to be responsible no matter what your driving, but there will always be idiots that don't think about what there doing until its to late.That is why I took the course to operate my jetski "legally" and to gain some added knowledge,pretty much was all commen sense things, for the most part it all boiled down to is pay attention to your surroundings and your pwc is always the give-way vessel. Even if you had prevoiusly owned a pwc you still have to take the course, and there will be age requirement.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Old 06-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sadly, It usually boils down to a few simple truths:

(1) Big, fast "ciigarette" powerboat is travelling predictably straight down the middle of an authorized navigable waterway.

(2) Idiot lake fly ("jetskier") bouncing aimlessly and unpredictably across a body of water....

(3) Eventually, The two craft cross paths, and disaster strikes....

End of story, and the story is getting old.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

Just get a waterballoon launcher, set up in a jet ski ravaged area, set the launcher up between the radar arches, and see how many you can pick off,
Old 06-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This happened in my home town last Friday. A friend was on the boat. This is very sad and tramatic to all parties involved.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

Sadly, It usually boils down to a few simple truths:

(1) Big, fast "ciigarette" powerboat is travelling predictably straight down the middle of an authorized navigable waterway.

(2) Idiot lake fly ("jetskier") bouncing aimlessly and unpredictably across a body of water....

(3) Eventually, The two craft cross paths, and disaster strikes....

End of story, and the story is getting old.
That's the truth! So true! You don't see a "cigarette" bouncing and wandering aimlessly or unpredictably! Those lake flies just usually have there own agenda.

As far as the test goes, it might be a way for the government to make extra $$, but if there is even 1 more person that learns boating safety that didn't know any better before, we are much better off...

Quick Reply: lake erie jet ski accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.