Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speed Racer calling Reggie! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133448-speed-racer-calling-reggie.html)

animalhouse 06-25-2006 11:54 PM

Re: Speed Racer calling Reggie!

Hauling Trash,

Mike loved it! He is following reggie's example and collecting valuable data for research. Just as he thought, the bottom and waterpickups can withstand that type of situation. (J.K.)

These things happen, I wasn't there this weekend so I only heard a few small pieces of the story. But from what I hear, a few dinged props and all is good. These things happen.

E.A. 06-26-2006 12:44 PM

TO "The Duke" :

Here are some details that might help clear somethings up.

1)
There is absolutly NO editing what so ever in those photos other then resizing, sharpening, and the borders.

2)
The shots where taken while shall we say "hauling the mail" that doesn't mean the throttles were pinned for 5 min. strait. Randy (driver) was on and off the throttles depending on the situation. The motors also have enough power to blow through the props, and hit the limiters. So this shot may have been taken as he was pulling back on her.

I wish I could tell ya, but man I don't know what to say, other then at 165+ in an open boat. I was lucky that I could even get a photo off, let alone one that showed the dash.

3)
The only time SR was "beat" when lining up with the Fountain. Was leaving the first card stop. And that is ONLY IF THE RACE was "who got on plane fastest" All fountain would have to do, to discredit me, or anyone else is show some side by side footage while both boats were up on plain and under full power. I have photos of us side by side....from behind and pass. If they had a chopper, why don't they have the same shots?

4)
I have photos of the belt, and pulley failure if you want proof of that as well. Since it also took out the belt that runs the dry sump oiling system, as well as the main harness that comes off the alternator. So to say it's an excuss, I will have to strongly disagree. That motor became what you would call "dead in the water"

This will be my last post on this matter, cause I don't mean any disrespect. I have nothing to gain or loose.... I was just posting up the facts. I hope everyone had a great weekend!

My Best Regards,
EA

Strip Poker 388 06-26-2006 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
160,170 180?

You testing the waters :D

dockrocker 06-26-2006 12:53 PM

I'll admit that I haven't read every thread on this issue, but let me see if I've got it straight...

1. Reggie shows up at a Poker Run with a full-on race boat (Rio Roses), driven and throttled by a race crew, with full race equipment (helmets and what not);
2. At some point(s) in the Poker Run, Rio Roses lines up with a pleasure cat (Speed Racer?) with 5 passengers and unknown safety gear;
3. Rio Roses "runs" Speed Racer, pulling away at least once. Reggie has the event filmed (or obtains film) showing RR pulling away from the cat.
4. Fountain uses this video and issues a press release claiming to have beaten the cat in this unannounced, unsanctioned, untimed "race", insinuating that Fountain builds the fastest boats on water V or cat.
5. There is significant debate as to whether the portion of the video accurately portrays the event in question.

In summary, Fountain is claiming that their race boat beat a pleasure boat that didn't know it was racing (apparently being misled by all the "Poker Run" signs and whatnot).

Pretty cheesy, any way you cut it - what's next, bad toupees and big gold chains - err, never mind....

Chris288 06-26-2006 12:57 PM

In the video, after the first card stop, when they both take off together, and it appears Rio pulls way ahead of S.R. did you end up catching and passing Rio ??

the duke 06-26-2006 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by E.A.
TO "The Duke" :

Here are some details that might help clear somethings up.
2)
The shots where taken while shall we say "hauling the mail" that doesn't mean the throttles were pinned for 5 min. strait. Randy (driver) was on and off the throttles depending on the situation. The motors also have enough power to blow through the props, and hit the limiters. So this shot may have been taken as he was pulling back on her.

Thanks for this post, because you just proved that the pictures are BOGUS! If SR was "hauling the mail", he would have been at a MUCH higher RPM than 4500/5500.

The water was glass calm, and as the video shows, the boats weren't coming out of the water 1 inch. SO no reason to back off.

And if he was running 170, he was not blowing out the props, so again no reason to back off. At 170, SR would be near or at her top end. You don't blow out props at top end.

the duke 06-26-2006 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker
In summary, Fountain is claiming that their race boat beat a pleasure boat that didn't know it was racing (apparently being misled by all the "Poker Run" signs and whatnot).

Did you miss the post where the guy who claims to have been in SR said they were running 170?

and you don't really think that any of those MTI/Nortech/Skater cats are "really" pleasure boats do you? :drink: :D

I didn't see Reggie come down from the Chopper and make SR put the hammer down. They did that all by them selves. Many times I've had boats come up along side me and want to race, and I haven't for various reasons, passengers didn't want to, unsafe conditions etc.

E.A. 06-26-2006 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chris288
In the video, after the first card stop, when they both take off together, and it appears Rio pulls way ahead of S.R. did you end up catching and passing Rio ??

Yes,

After the fountian video "cuts". we came up on plane and started the "catch back up process"

You see where the fountain video cuts off correct... right as they are turning... with a nice slow bank to the right.

Now do you see the photo on the main page of this site, where we are right at the tail of them. How did we get there you ask???? Well...

That is what would have been seen if the video would have continued... and then if it would have went farther, you would have seen us passing them, and staying out in front until, SR throttled back down for the next no wake zone.

(As far as the photo being bogus)
I don't know what to tell ya.... yes the water was pretty smooth, but sorry to say there was still many reasons to lift.... traffic, water conditions, small currents. When she was going 165+ she was pretty much flying at that point, and Randy was being very very safe with all of us riding with him, and not having harness or any gear. So no it was not pinned all the time. So the motors were up and down a good mount of times. Yes the boat felt very secure and safe.... but lets be real here.... it was 174! Mph at the point of one of the photos.

Here is another photo of the dash durring the run, sorry that I didn't post this one the first time, cause it was burry....(shaky hands trying to get the shot, while still holding on) I didn't think anyone would be caring about what the Tachs really said, or even thinking I would put a bogus photo up.

http://www.houseofboost.com/temp/DSCN2227_resize.JPG

Hope that helps. Sorry like I said, that I didn't put that one up the first time. You can clearly see one motor at nearly 7,000 and the other at 6,200 who knows why the one was biting harder or what, maybe we crossed a wake or something, I don't know. I was just taking photos, and enjoying the ride of a lifetime.

EA

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-26-2006 03:21 PM

Just a thought for all of you to think about with the eye in the sky......

The lens of the camera is looking at RR on the inside and the SR on the outside. Some will say that both boats pulled away from the helicopter. But what if the helicopter purposely slowed down? Either way, you get the same result.

Take two objects (the 2 boats) even if they are running exactly the same speed, if you rotate to the back of the boats, what happens? The closer object to the camera looks like it is ahead of or passing the outside object.

Nothing tricky about it. Just common sense. So if they wanted to film it as though they left SR in their wake, you slow down the helicopter and take a few seconds of footage. :evilb:

TSPM 06-26-2006 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Just a thought for all of you to think about with the eye in the sky......

The lens of the camera is looking at RR on the inside and the SR on the outside. Some will say that both boats pulled away from the helicopter. But what if the helicopter purposely slowed down? Either way, you get the same result.

Take two objects (the 2 boats) even if they are running exactly the same speed, if you rotate to the back of the boats, what happens? The closer object to the camera looks like it is ahead of or passing the outside object.

Nothing tricky about it. Just common sense. So if they wanted to film it as though they left SR in their wake, you slow down the helicopter and take a few seconds of footage. :evilb:

TY Sharkey :drink: