Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Did OSO sell my email address to spamers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134566-did-oso-sell-my-email-address-spamers.html)

Gizmo 07-07-2006 09:55 AM

Re: Did OSO sell my email address to spamers?

I rceived the same e-mail from Hustler.

OSO 07-07-2006 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
They would have to be a paying member though, right?

Yes that is correct.

Through the years we have learned the different ways that people can prey on the members for various reasons. The pay membership was a way to resolve some of the problems but also with pay Membership you are revealing your identity and creating privacy in a different way.

Some magazines are notorious for selling information and remember displaying your e-mail address anywhere on the interenet can get you on a spam list real quick.

dean51267 07-07-2006 09:57 AM

I got nailed too, now these sons-a-betches will be sending schite forever........ not ever buying a Hustler boat now...

OSO 07-07-2006 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
If you put your email address within a post on a thread.....it can be skimmed from the site by programs designed for this.

Yes that is correct, what I was referring to in the previous post.

OSO 07-07-2006 10:00 AM

When did you get the e-mail exactly? I have 5 OSO e-mails and so far have not got one.

Shore Thing 07-07-2006 10:04 AM

I got the hustler email as well. However, it went to my work email address and not the email address I have listed on OSO. I did have my work email address listed on my signature line in case anyone wanted to email about my boat for sale. I am removing it now, but would guess that this is how they lifted it. I'm willing to bet everyone who got the email had typed in their email address at one time or another on here and the fuggin spammers picked it up. They should be hung.

David 07-07-2006 10:04 AM

I guess I better check and see if I got one from them too. :D I have never had reason to suspect that OSO has ever divulged my email address that I have on record with OSO. I have been here almost 6 years as a registered member, and have yet to get much junk in that email box, from anywhere. I do not use it for very much, but it stays mostly empty.

Ms PatriYacht 07-07-2006 10:09 AM

I did not get it but I keep getting emails from Shoegren Marine, and I believe that came from them being a sponsor of a poker run. I even emailed them back asking to take me off their list, but I still get them :(

SpeedGirl 07-07-2006 10:41 AM

I got one on my advertising @ OSO account.... I'll forward it to you steve

dockrocker 07-07-2006 10:45 AM

Did not receive the Hustler e-mail.