Cig with TRS drives, pros and cons >

Cig with TRS drives, pros and cons

Notices

Cig with TRS drives, pros and cons

Old 01-22-2002, 11:03 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWB what do you mean by "with the TRS drive you are allready rigged for a used pair of #5's in the future"

Don;t #5s needs different transom assemblies and cutout? I woudl assume teh cutouts are fairly similar and the engines are in the same basic location but it would stll be a big job. Or do #5 drives bolts up similarly to #2 drives?
Old 01-22-2002, 03:29 PM
kwb
Registered

What I meant is that the engines are already in place (moved forward for the TRS transmissions) and all the rigging needed to support them is in position. The transom would probably have to be cut out a bit for the #5 drives and you would need all of the #5 hardware - gimbalss, etc... but at least the major part of the work is done, as compared to going from Bravos to #5's.

I just think that having a Top Gun or Tiger with Bravos doesn't leave you with much of a future. You are limited to the amount of power and even then the Bravos are fragile.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:05 PM
DEVIL MAN

KWB doesn't know the difference between a TRS drive and a DPX drive!!!!! The guy has never owned a TRS drive or rerigged a boat from a TRS to any sort of drive!!!! Refer to the movie "Clueless!"

The TRS drives are old, outdated and no longer made, so beware, parts will only get tougher to come by, which in a few years, will cramp your resale on your boat...remember that you will always have to sell the beast. With that size and weight of the Top Gun and with over 700 plus horsepower to TRS', you are going to have problems....start saving your money for a conversion to some #3 or 3A drives...then you will have a rock solid boat. Also, the #5 drives will not work on the Top Gun....way too high of an X dimension...once again, KWB being Clueless!!!!!

Good luck with your project!!!!

DMan

Old 01-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bravos worked well in my boat, 1987 caferacer 600 hp s/c runs a little over 80 mph. I dont beat it out of the hole and i have showers with drive temp guages, so if they heat up i pull back. 4000 rpm 55-60 mph about 200 to 220 degrees. They are stock units as well... no upgrades...yet. I haven`t weighed the boat since i re-rigged it, so there are some variables i suppose. Last year i put about 60 hrs on it, with no drive trouble. Just my .02
TOM
Old 01-22-2002, 05:56 PM
kwb
Registered

Dman - my point is that with the TRS drive the rigging is complete as far as engine placement and what would be required to go with a drive that could handle power above 500HP (like the #3, #5, #6 SSM drives). The Bravo drive obviously can not.

Speaking from experience, I would not buy a straight bottom Cigarette with Bravos, if you want to run over 75mph. Plus with the Bravo drive you have no future.

I would look for a used Cig with TRS or SSM drives.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Registered

Talk to DJD and to TomFTM. They both have had 38 Cigarette's (Flatdecks I believe) with blower motors making about 650hp or more and TRS drives. DJD converted his boat to SSM#3 and Tom still has TRS on his. They should be able to give you some insight.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Registered

BD......I just ran across a 89 cafe racer that looked pretty darn clean....the guy is asking 50k for it...I really didnt look at it that close but with a little polishing I think it would clean up really nice....if you are interested I will try and get some particulars on it.....let me know.....Rich
Old 01-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got a 38 Cigarette Flatdeck with 540h.p.
Motors and TRS drives. I blew and outdrive this year for the 1st. time, the boat is an 1985.
If you don't beat on them they will live. Come on plane easy and don't launch them to often and they will be ok.
If your skeptical on buying one with TRS, I would probably not buy one with Bravos either.
I would prefer Speedmasters if anything.

Remember speed isn't everything, I would rather be reliable.

And if you buy it with TRS's you can always upgrade to speedmasters later, you already have the transmissions you just need to plug the holes and install new transom plates.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the input guys!
This is what makes this board so cool!
I really like this boat and got the green light from the wife!
Kurt.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Biggus Sorry we got cut off this evening. My phone died. I will call you tomarrow.

D-man that was harsh dude

Jon

Quick Reply: Cig with TRS drives, pros and cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.