Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I hate negotiating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139899-i-hate-negotiating.html)

bouyhunter 09-07-2006 09:37 PM

Re: I hate negotiating

This has always been a tough subject for me. I don't want to offend the guy, but I want a good buy also.
You guy's that call this part fun - maybe you're playing with bigger money then me, I'm usually strectched to my limit's when negotion comes, and by that time I'm in LOVE, and have to have it.
I need to take the emotin out of it.
But some boats (or whatever) only come to market occaisonaly.
It's a tough call.

dean51267 09-07-2006 10:08 PM

I generally figure out what price I can pay and sleep at night, and then offer that... I also explain I am not a car dealer, so I will not insult them with the haggeling process.... if it works, great, if not, I walk.

I also will ALWAYS find a competing deal to work on at the same time, this keeps my emotions in check. I have lost a few deals doing this, but they are rare....

dean51267 09-07-2006 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by tee4texas
hey dean.......this is off-topic - hope you get a chance to see this

we know you and I got a bit sideways a couple of times over the last day or so here........I apologize if offended you. I'm pretty opinionated about stuff and that often comes across as a*shole.......no hard feelings on my part by any means and hope you can feel the same. Just wanted to say that.......you posted some good stuff.

this post will self-destruct in 5 mins as I dont want anyone to think I have feelings or common sense here

I will agree to offer some respect if you become a paying member, till then you are a leach.........

sorry to be blunt, but blunt and honest is about all I know......

cherrycobalt262 09-07-2006 10:37 PM

My last 2 boats I bought, I priced out at NADA with no options and then I bought on the low end of the price range that pops up. That seems to be close to wholesale. I was able to sell my last boat in the fall after 2 years of use and still got what I paid for it plus a little PROFIT!! 400 Bucks..... It was the perfect deal! He was a newbie in boating and bought on the high end price... Just buy cheap and sell high.. sounds easy :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cherrycobalt262 09-07-2006 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_H
60k for the tiger? :p

AGREED 100% There are ALOT of boats out there, you'll have all winter to find one. Its a buyer's market.

dean51267 09-07-2006 10:42 PM

fair enough - every man has his opinion and has to take a stand - cant fault him for that...........BTW, its leech not leach

be safe

at least you take it well....

here is a couple of thoughts, you are a fishing guy, no problem with that, but there is an ENTIRELY different community around here, it is like walking into a biker bar......

if you are a high end engine guy or someone with specialized knowledge who can add to the conversation then that is a contributor, if not, then you need to contribute SOMETHING besides a fishing guys opinion.

An opinion is not a contribution in almost any situation, it is someone spouting off....

It is like a guy who is into the tour defrance walking into a biker bar and pointing out problems with the bikers community. The comments made are irrelevant, they come from a source that does not have enough background to be creditable.... you comments on the poker run thread are a good example... become a contributor, either by sharing specialized knowledge, or by helping pay for the forum we all use, either is acceptable, but with a free membership, looks like to me someone wanting something for nothing....

the message is irrelevant if it can not be communicated.....

Zudnic 09-07-2006 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dean51267
I generally figure out what price I can pay and sleep at night, and then offer that... I also explain I am not a car dealer, so I will not insult them with the haggeling process.... if it works, great, if not, I walk.

I also will ALWAYS find a competing deal to work on at the same time, this keeps my emotions in check. I have lost a few deals doing this, but they are rare....

I find if you offer a fair price the head in the sky seller sometimes comes to their senses, deap down they know what it's really worth......

dean51267 09-07-2006 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zudnic
I find if you offer a fair price the head in the sky seller sometimes comes to their senses, deap down they know what it's really worth......

agreed, however I often just walk past the pie in the sky seller, do not want to get into the game.........

I took a college class on negotiating years ago, learned all the closing techniques, how to screw with people, all that mess, then I realized all that crap takes a LOT of time, and time is money, I find it better to do the analysis, figure out what it is worth, ask if it is worth that to me, if so make that offer, and if it is not acceptable walk away.........

there is nothing I need to haggle over I can not live without.....

now haggling with the wife, well, that is different, not much way around all that mess............

dean51267 09-07-2006 11:05 PM

so, you're upset because I said I fish or because my words were correct? lol

Character is not the size of your boat or the speed of it or what you use it for ...............if you believe that or rely upon that to judge people, you still have a lot to learn my friend.

Ciao

Lance Armstrong

no, not upset at all, do not read emotion into the post, there was practically none..............

agreed, I have much to learn..... but this I know....character is not the size or the speed (well we might argue the speed part :D ) it is how the boat is used, if you do not understand that maybe you have as much to learn as I....

lucky strike 09-07-2006 11:12 PM

A bidder is better than a looker.