Notices

Loto snow damage.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Loto snow damage.

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I just don't get this whole problem. This isn't some 3rd world country or something (well....it is LOTO). Are there no building codes in LOTO? I'm shocked that this just seems "normal" to happen if it snows too much. I don't think ANY of this should happen! IT IS A DEFECT SOMEWHERE!
when houses fall down cliffs in california is that normal? that seems to happen far more often than this.... isn't there building codes in your state that can keep a house up????

this is the first time i have ever seen this happen, i have seen docks sit lower in the water with snow, but i have never seen anything like this, just a bad combo of ice, snow and wind...
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I just don't get this whole problem. This isn't some 3rd world country or something (well....it is LOTO). Are there no building codes in LOTO? I'm shocked that this just seems "normal" to happen if it snows too much. I don't think ANY of this should happen! IT IS A DEFECT SOMEWHERE!
I've seen dozens of crashed in carports when there was a heavy snow in Utah and the people didn't get a broom with a long handle and pull the snow off. They just aren't designed to handle any kind of snow loads. When there isn't anyone living "under" a structure... building codes are a lot more lax. The marina staff should have shoveled the snow off before it got so heavy that the structure colapsed.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
when houses fall down cliffs in california is that normal? that seems to happen far more often than this.... isn't there building codes in your state that can keep a house up????

Don't they have building codes in Misouri and the plain states?... Why is it everytime a little tornado comes along all the mobile homes blow away?.... Why don't they outlaw buildings in these areas?... Aren't there building codes in your state that can keep a house from blowing away?.....
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought but if you took a piece of pvc pipe along the peak of the roof with holes in it and a pump that pumped lake water up there, would that keep snow from building up on the roof? I don't know if it would work but if it did it wouldn't cost much to install.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered

this is the first time i have ever seen this happen, i have seen docks sit lower in the water with snow, but i have never seen anything like this, just a bad combo of ice, snow and wind...
Yes....there is a freak slide once in a great while and it usually has to do with excess rain with a mud slide and not too much (if at all) to do with contruction of the structure. This is a whole area of the same poor construction techniques. Do you think the will re-build the same way?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Don't they have building codes in Misouri and the plain states?... Why is it everytime a little tornado comes along all the mobile homes blow away?.... Why don't they outlaw buildings in these areas?... Aren't there building codes in your state that can keep a house from blowing away?.....
a house usually won't blow away, trailer parks usually do.....

you didn't answer my question, doesn't california have building codes that can keep houses from falling down hills when it is bright and sunny outside??
Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Registered

Old 12-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Thinking outside the box here, but I would guess that when these new facilities are re-built, perhaps there will be some type of minimum weight requirements with respect to loads. Too late for that now and too early to suggest whom will or will not be covered, but I suspect things will have to change just for insurance coverage.

Interesting questions...........what type of economic impact this will have on LOTO this season ?

Were differing designs more effected than others ? You can bet someone will do a study on this, there will be too much $ envolved in this not to protect the insurance providers in the future. I'm a new owner down there, but I think they will have these damaged docks replaced sooner than we think.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse James
Thanks Terry yes I purchased it from Zumallen. Thanks a million I have that one and the 1 to the left 776 they both need to go quick.

someone please buy them so I can get the money he owes me.

just be careful with the paperwork and make sure all the liens are paid before you accept the house.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Registered

a house usually won't blow away, trailer parks usually do.....

you didn't answer my question, doesn't california have building codes that can keep houses from falling down hills when it is bright and sunny outside??
Yes... California has the most stringent building codes in the country... Mostly because of earthquakes. There is the rare exception such as the land slide in Laguna Beach area. Those homes were constructed many years ago before proper soil geology tests were performed. Hillside construction requires different codes depending on how deep they have to go to hit bedrock. Those homes that slid in Orange county weren't tied to bedrock. The new homes being built as their replacements are. Along with much improved water drainage from rain. I can tell you this much.... We survive minor earthquakes all the time with NO damage.. It's only the really large ones that show the poorly built structures. The underlying problem isn't the building code... but cost constraints. Property is so much more expensive here than in Missouri that people will build on steep hillsides, even when there is a chance of failure. Try to stop tornados.... you will have about as much luck as we have stopping earthquakes.

Quick Reply: Loto snow damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.