Notices

Loto snow damage.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Loto snow damage.

Man, thats all so terrible. I hope everything works out for everyone affected.

Finman
Old 12-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

I caught a break. My boat is in indoor storage for some maintenance and upgrades and not on the left side of dock 7 at the Ledges like it has spent many winters before. I feel for those less fortunate. A twisted lift and cracked dock box is my only loss, and they were insured.

I personally feel that minimal diagonal or X-bracing would have prevented many, if not all, of these collapses.

The uprights are strong enough to hold these ice and snow loads even if the decking is pushed below the surface by the weight, but when wind or waves move these uprights just a few degrees from vertical and with no rack bracing of any kind, these heavily weighted roofs 16'-20' in the air are going to fold over. It's simple physics.

It was the same 12 years ago and the dock builders or inspectors didn't learn then. Hopefully, they learn from this one. You can't use the law of averages and claim the 30 year storm BS. Weather patterns worldwide are getting increasingly more hectic each year. No one can definitively say that an ice/snow storm of this magnitude won't happen again for so many years. It could happen again next month.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Anything happen to Millers Landing at 21mm? He had a nice dock system that was only 5yrs old.
I used to dock my cruiser there and know Bob very well. His docks sustained some damage but did not fail. He was very proactive about getting the snow off and ice melt onto the roofs.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Don't they have building codes in Misouri and the plain states?... Why is it everytime a little tornado comes along all the mobile homes blow away?.... Why don't they outlaw buildings in these areas?... Aren't there building codes in your state that can keep a house from blowing away?.....
For the record, this from a local structural engineer, the actual "Live Load" from the combo of the ice and snow exceeded the building code requirements by 50%.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by omerta one
I used to dock my cruiser there and know Bob very well. His docks sustained some damage but did not fail. He was very proactive about getting the snow off and ice melt onto the roofs.
Glad to hear Miller's is O.k. Just today I was daydreaming about sitting on their deck eating fried maccaroni and sucking down beer.
I hate winter......
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
If you knew the contractor base and worker mentality you would know how slow things get done at loto, you would understand 3-5 years. It's a joke to get stuff done.
Don't hire the cheapest workers....just the best.
Attached Thumbnails Loto snow damage.-lion11.bmp