Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/147129-fountain-new-kilo-record-miami-show.html)

100-Plus 12-19-2006 01:09 PM

Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

All,

Michael Allweiss, love him or not like (I'm with you on the H-word Sharkey, there's more than enough of that in this world) could never be accused of being unintelligent or uninformed. He pointed out something that I missed in an earlier post about how Fountain's speed efforts are the cornerstone of Fountain's marketing campaign. They are also the core of Reggie Fountain. He does love speed. He's the real thing. Whether or not kilos are your thing, whether or not you think the cat killer stuff is nonsense, you cannot deny his passion.

Fanatic: In bringing Darren Luhrs into this discussion, I think you've gone a bit far to make your point. I was enjoying your rebuttals right up to that point. There aren't too many people who can stand toe-to-toe with T2X in an argument.

Darren can handle himself. T2X can handle himself. I'm not speaking for them. But for me, your comparison doesn't hold. Yes, Darren: A) Set a speed record B) Broke his own record. Darren's record run, however, was about a physically challenged person establishing new personal best under fairly controlled situatons. Darren was with Bob Christi in 36' Nor-Tech cat that can run a whole lot faster than the 130 mph they took it to. I'm not suggesting in any that it wasn't a real record. Just very, very different in all regards.

Are you really saying that a 130-mph catamaran run, under the circumstances I just described, are equal to a kilo record attempt that will need to be better than 171 mph in a V-bottom are equal? Or were you just angry at T2X and just trying to make a point?

You had me engaged and thinking that you had made significant points, particularly about what constitutes "facts." And then you went in what is hard to see as anything other than a mean-spirited direction that lost me. Again, Darren and T2X can handle themselves. But for me, bringing Darren's record into the discussion seemed beneath you.

FeverMike 12-19-2006 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 100-Plus
Fanatic: In bringing Darren Luhrs into this discussion, I think you've gone a bit far to make your point. I was enjoying your rebuttals right up to that point. There aren't too many people who can stand toe-to-toe with T2X in an argument.

Darren can handle himself. T2X can handle himself. I'm not speaking for them. But for me, your comparison doesn't hold. Yes, Darren: A) Set a speed record B) Broke his own record. Darren's record run, however, was about a physically challenged person establishing new personal best under fairly controlled situatons.

I do not feel Fanatic was being mean sprited with bring up Darren's speed record run. He did not say anything towards this attempt by Rich and his son as being wrong and so forth. I believe a lot of you are taking this all way out of context.

I have had a blast going back and forth and a lot of laughs with you all here on OSO and on this thread. I put this thread up because I knew it would add some fun in the winter months and it gave us something to come back to OSO for and jaw with each other about. No one has been mean spirited.

T2X has been all against this Kilo run but yet he did a speed run with his son. This run was obviously to prove a point and it was a great thing for Rich and his son to do. I very much respect Rich for what he does for and with his son. He obviously is a great father. However to slam Fountain for doing a Kilo run and breaking there own record does not make sence. Fountain is also trying to prove a point and their marketing hinges on winning races and Kilo's.

Mike Carter

100-Plus 12-19-2006 02:10 PM

Mike,

Maybe the "mean-spirited" descriptive was an overreaction on my part. Just my read of tone, but tone is easily misread in text.

But what's out of context, and I think this is a pretty reasonable statement, is the comparison between the Darren Luhrs record and the proposed Fountain kilo record. Yes, both are about setting speed marks. But that is where the similarity ends, so to use Darren's record to attack the credibility of T2X's point of view does not, in terms of logic, hold true for me. There are better comparisions.

How, for example, does T2X feel about the Callan stuff? I know those aren't kilo runs or "official" records, but those guys are putting ungodly amounts of horespower into a catamaran and going really fast. Does that make those record attempts any less worthwhile? Had Fanatic used that example, it would have made more sense to me.

I think you can see what I'm getting at. There are better examples, much more applicable to the Fountain kilo, than Darren's record. Not discounting his achievement, not defending either Darren or T2X. They sure don't need my help.

I, too, have enjoyed this discussion. As I said, Fanatic made some really good points, as did T2X. As did you.

Sherlock 12-19-2006 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by OFFSHOREJOJO
Isn't it a 2 way pass so maybe 190 mph?? or more he's getting close to 200 mph mark if he succeeds??? :rolleyes:

The key is you are tracking the time the boat spent in the kilo in both directions, you then take the average, the speed is the end result.
The runs must also be back to back, down and back and/ or back and down, in other words if you make three passes you have two combinations to take advantage of.

Downtown42 12-19-2006 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
yes he's already been over that 2yrs ago.

I was referring to a GPS run 1 way, not the official kilo average, documented. Sorry, not trying to mislead. :cool:

Downtown42 12-19-2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 100-Plus

Darren can handle himself. . . Darren's record run, however, was about a physically challenged person establishing new personal best under fairly controlled situatons. .

I may be going out on a limb here, but Darren is fair game like everyone else that loves fast boating. I do not give him any free tokens, he is considered equal in my books and is treated just like a Sharkey, Sacajawea, Mikey and whoever else (sorry if I left any of my favorites out :evilb: ) likes to go fast on water. Darren has me beat in top end for now, but still way behing the King :D

now go ahead and load up my p/m box...it's not working and I am requesting a 1/365th refund on my OSO dues anyways:evilb:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-19-2006 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sherlock
The runs must also be back to back, down and back and/ or back and down, in other words if you make three passes you have two combinations to take advantage of.

Sherlock,
I think you had it right the 1st time.... down and back.

From what I understand, Reggie never backs down... ;) :D :D

Sherlock 12-19-2006 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Sherlock,
I think you had it right the 1st time.... down and back.

From what I understand, Reggie never backs down... ;) :D :D

:eek: :D

100-Plus 12-19-2006 07:38 PM

Downtown42,

I didn't say Darren wasn't fair game. In fact, I pointed out (twice) that Darren could handle himself. I just thought the comparison between Darren's record and what Fountains plans to do was pretty lame, for all the reasons I stated.

I don't mind if you disagree with I wrote. By all means. It's fun. But disagree with what I actually wrote.

fountainracing42 12-19-2006 07:46 PM

I think Reggie is just going to try and break the 180 marker. He is smart and I think he is going to hold back on the sticks!!! I agree reggie does everything wide open but I also know his marketing. If he goes 200 it will leave nothing on the table. If he continues to bump it up a little ever few years or every year it is priceless advertising!!!! I have heard through the grapevine that the Cat Killer is capable of 200+ MPH. Reggie wants to leave at least a little saucer of milk on the doorstep for the stray kittys....meow