Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/147129-fountain-new-kilo-record-miami-show.html)

FeverMike 12-13-2006 08:24 PM

Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

http://fountainpowerboats.com/news/ne_nov2206.htm

Read it all in this link. Fountain say's they will set a new Kilo Record by the Miami boat show. Fountain will just not let up and they keep developing there boat into the fastest offshore race boat.

Fountain playa hata's go ahead and post away! :evilb: :drink:

JCPERF 12-13-2006 08:27 PM

Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

I hate Fountain.Outerlimits is the best :evilb: :evilb: :rolleyes:Sharkey???????????????????

mikes280 12-13-2006 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have the most respect for Reggie Fountain i was there when he set the last record. i just hope no one gets hurt .

Rippem 12-13-2006 08:44 PM

other than one man's ego running a very specialized "version" of the boat he sells, loosely at best associated with the boat you can buy

I just don't get the point anymore...

I guess if the Fountain masses do see this as more important than the quality control and customer service failures...

well...get out the pom-poms! :p

FeverMike 12-13-2006 08:55 PM

Rippem, dude your slippin'....You got beat by 2 post's! :drink: Sharkey where are ya? :p :D

Semper Fi 12-13-2006 08:59 PM

Fountain has proved that he builds a fast boat....no denying that whehter you like him or not. The man has done alot for the sport of boating.

Personally I think that this contest is useless. Somebody is GOING TO DIE. The risk is huge. I persoanlly would like to see different maufactures with equal size boats and power do a speed comparison-- maybe a 39 OL VS. 39 TG VS. 38 NT VS. 38 Hustler and all with same power 525, 600, 700 or 850 Mercs

GLH 12-13-2006 09:02 PM

I hope they live through it.

Rippem 12-13-2006 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Rippem, dude your slippin'....You got beat by 2 post's! :drink:

D A M M I T T !!! :D

FeverMike 12-13-2006 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Fountain has proved that he builds a fast boat....no denying that whehter you like him or not. The man has done alot for the sport of boating.

Personally I think that this contest is useless. Somebody is GOING TO DIE. The risk is huge. I persoanlly would like to see different maufactures with equal size boats and power do a speed comparison-- maybe a 39 OL VS. 39 TG VS. 38 NT VS. 38 Hustler and all with same power 525, 600, 700 or 850 Mercs

You definitly have a point but that point has been proven in the past with Factory 2 and Super V kilo runs. Fountain has dominated with equal engine racing and kilo runs. Hopefully in 2007 we will see the new OL Super V run against the Fountain factory teams that ran SBI/APBA in 06. That is what I hope for! :drink:

Sean H 12-13-2006 10:53 PM

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=146665

9 Lives 12-13-2006 11:12 PM

I also hope that unbiased reporting and filming will be
allowed for this world record kilo attempt.

Good luck and be safe.

100-Plus 12-13-2006 11:29 PM

I admire the guts and tenacity of everyone involved and I wish them safe and swift travels, but I think Phil Lipschutz said it really well in the last issue of Powerboat:

"I don't think a V-bottom has any business going 170, 180 mph. If you want to go real fast, buy a cat."

louietherigger 12-14-2006 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rippem
other than one man's ego running a very specialized "version" of the boat he sells, loosely at best associated with the boat you can buy

I just don't get the point anymore...

I guess if the Fountain masses do see this as more important than the quality control and customer service failures...

well...get out the pom-poms! :p

When OL ran there imaginary Speed record you guys were all gushing and gettin oral with each other. Now that it will probably get even further out of reach its all an ego trip? Look at it this way, if the Fountain goes even faster OL can swipe some of the R&D and make there boats a little faster and better handling, its a win win situation, wish him luck. As far as customer service goes I don't think there's a builder out there who hasn't been accused of stroking there customers, your majesty included......

Cash Bar 12-14-2006 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by louietherigger
When OL ran there imaginary Speed record you guys were all gushing and gettin oral with each other. Now that it will probably get even further out of reach its all an ego trip? Look at it this way, if the Fountain goes even faster OL can swipe some of the R&D and make there boats a little faster and better handling, its a win win situation, wish him luck. As far as customer service goes I don't think there's a builder out there who hasn't been accused of stroking there customers, your majesty included......

Does Fountain feel the record is in JEOPARDY ??

I doubt it, so why risk everything now. I am not a big Fountain lover (Except '42 PR) but I like Reggie and have met him more than a few times. He's even presented me with a trophy or two while I was racing.

Tom A. 12-14-2006 12:48 AM

I agree w/ Semper Fi. Let's see a true speed contest with real boats running Identical power. Set parameters, this just being a loose idea, along the lines of:
38 - 42 feet
Pair of sealed 525's (staggered or side/side)
Minimum weight requirements
Measured Kilo Run

Real boats, real speeds, real world fastest hull design.
OSS & SBI do it with race boats, now we need someone like Powerboat Mag. and a few manufacturers to get on board for poker run/ pleasure boats.

9 Lives 12-14-2006 01:09 AM

I don't believe 525's in 38' to 42' boats will prove much of anything. Many of the performance boats
in the spectator fleet at the Lake Rescues Shoot-Out have this much power and many are
embarrassed to show their lackluster speeds compared to what boats are signed-up to run.

What we need is a real certified kilo course set up. ( It's been done many times before )
Invite everyone. Give alternate weather dates and "LET'S GET IT ON"
If you lose or if just plain miss it, too phukin bad. Quit whining.

Tom A. 12-14-2006 05:04 AM

I disagree 9 lives, There are 525 boats barely breaking 80 mph and there are 525 boats that are dam near hitting the century mark. I think it says a helluva lot more about who has the fastest hull.
I can shoe horn a blown 572 into a tube chasis fiberglass bodied car that looks like a Camaro/Mustang whatever and run it once or twice down the track. Does that really reflect what a production Camaro/ Mustang whatever can do?
I understand one off boats for R/D and lightweight special built boats for racing but to really show which company has the fastest hull let's see a truely even match up. It is just my opinion take it for what it is worth.

Dredgeking 12-14-2006 05:51 AM

You guys keep talking about production hulls. Reggie is going for the World's Fastest V Bottom record, which he already holds. He not going for the World's fastest 38' V bottom with 525's record. He's focused on HUGE speed just like the Bacardi guys were when they broke 200mph. They weren't focused on the world's fastest 36' Cat Hull with 525's record.

If you want similar boats compared, then read your various boating magizines. Reggie, right now, wants to up the ante for World's Fastest V Bottom. ****ing Excellent. Some of his R&D will make it to the production line. Not in real time. Not every bit of info will be transfered into a production boat.

We never would have made it to the moon if we were going for highest orbiting space craft with 525's in it.

Back4More 12-14-2006 05:59 AM

The mark was set and never beat for 2 years now....
Now there's a new boat capable of smoking that number, 190's I heard.
Would you ride with anyone other than RF in a Kilo attempt? I thought so.
He likes speed...whats wrong with that?
It's just like going to the Drag Strip...except one has to be set up on the water by officials for accurate and legit numbers.
Their 29, 35, 38, 42, and 47 are the fastest factory equiped V's...no need to worry there.

OldSchool 12-14-2006 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dredgeking
You guys keep talking about production hulls. Reggie is going for the World's Fastest V Bottom record, which he already holds. He not going for the World's fastest 38' V bottom with 525's record. He's focused on HUGE speed just like the Bacardi guys were when they broke 200mph. They weren't focused on the world's fastest 36' Cat Hull with 525's record.

If you want similar boats compared, then read your various boating magizines. Reggie, right now, wants to up the ante for World's Fastest V Bottom. ****ing Excellent. Some of his R&D will make it to the production line. Not in real time. Not every bit of info will be transfered into a production boat.

We never would have made it to the moon if we were going for highest orbiting space craft with 525's in it.

That's damn near exactly what I was going to type!!!Take that 525 BS to another thread. This is a biggest balls contest, plain and simple! And further, I for one could give two chits who laid up the hull! It doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck and safe travels to the Fountain people. :)

105mph_38_2003 12-14-2006 06:35 AM

I have been gone for how long and this is till going on :eek:

9 Lives 12-14-2006 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I disagree 9 lives, There are 525 boats barely breaking 80 mph and there are 525 boats that are dam near hitting the century mark. I think it says a helluva lot more about who has the fastest hull.

One of the greatest things about the board is that I just knew one of my first responses would be a disagreement.
The point I was trying to make was that while I agree that there is a huge difference between the performance of a
400SS Formula with a pair of 525's and a 38' Fountain with a pair of staggered 525's in it.

What this kilo attempt is after is a raising to the title of the worlds fastest v-bottom, which is probably going
to require somewhere around 1500-2500 HP per side rigged in a staggered reconfiguration, or even possibly triples,
in a boat hull designed to look like a v-bottom when viewed from the front or from the rear.

This is all that is really needed to get that title at the top of the full page add, or in the SBI/APBA and UIM
record books once again. Isn't that what he really wants again? More room between himself and the competition.
There's always more room in the trophy case for another "World's Fastest".

Some will argue why to risk it if you're already on top. Human nature, perhaps.

Teams that already own the land speed attempts are always trying to raise their own current number.

Dean Ferry 12-14-2006 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by OFFSHOREJOJO
Cat record is 203 he still has a way to go?

I believe the Callan C50 record is 213 MPH, not @ LOTO, but during testing this past summer! :eek: That's hauling the trash baby! :D
Dean

9 Lives 12-14-2006 08:16 AM

Well, at least one thing we know for sure after Reggie's public announcement
during the Jacksonville Poker Run of the unsafety of the catamaran design,
that he won't be trying for one of these crazy speed attempts in one of those
dangerous contraptions. :D

tomcat 12-14-2006 09:17 AM

Speed records are the pure art form; just you and your machine against the laws of physics. There are no rules and it is not possible to cheat. As soon as you say everybody has to use the same engine the cheating starts.

Anybody wondering why an old man would want to take the risk needs to watch "The World's Fastest Indian" the story of Bert Munro, an old motorcycle racer who built a streamliner out of a 1920 Indian and set the record over 200 mph.

Best of luck to the entire team behind this attempt.

Sean H 12-14-2006 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I believe the Callan C50 record is 213 MPH, not @ LOTO, but during testing this past summer! :eek: That's hauling the trash baby! :D
Dean

not an official record though, they need to do a kilo someday, they probably could put up a big number...

Rippem 12-14-2006 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by louietherigger

spend the rest of the day looking for a post of mine "gushing" over any of this.

All it's gonna do when physics innevitably catches up to man's challenges (which it has been for thousands of years) is that people are gonna die and yet another black eye will be placed on the interest of recreational performance boating which any of this has very little to do with.
Unless the boat has capsules, a 180 MPH failure is simply not survivable.
Please remember also that 99+% of the world knows little or no difference what this is vs. what we do every weekend, and would like nothing more than to lump it together.

as far as customer service, well...some just have a well known better record of satisfaction than others, deal with it.

Cash Bar 12-14-2006 12:42 PM

Why does the Kilo ONLY have to be for the FASTEST boat?

Why can't they run a few classes like they were going to in August and everyone can get their fastest 525 boats and run as well.

Don't give me that UIM record crap either, no one cares anymore, even the Europeans.

FeverMike 12-14-2006 12:44 PM

What Fountain is doing by raising the bar and going faster and faster in a V bottom is trickling right down to production boats with them being stable at today's speed with 525's which were yesterdays racing speeds.

100-Plus 12-14-2006 12:54 PM

FeverMike,

I'm still a newby (and I still need to pony up for a real membership, I know), but I have to ask: What technology, exactly, is trickling down from kilo runs? Or is it just a matter of engine builders making 1,500-hp (and then some) engines that will live long enough to survive a kilo.

In auto racing, you can point to things like paddle shifters that have made their way into consumer sports cars. But I'm curious as to what comes, in the form of technology, from a kilo run. And I'm not asking to be a wiseguy. I'm genuinely curious. If we're talking hull advances, it would be cool to know what they are.

Some of the knowledge gained might be proprietary to a company like Fountain, I know. But then to say something like, "We learned all this from kilo runs and racing, and then leave the "all this" undefined doesn't make the case. It comes off as marketing-speak.

Anyway, I'm sure you can point out a few things. And I sure could use the education. Thanks.

epeek 12-14-2006 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem
spend the rest of the day looking for a post of mine "gushing" over any of this.

All it's gonna do when physics innevitably catches up to man's challenges (which it has been for thousands of years) is that people are gonna die and yet another black eye will be placed on the interest of recreational performance boating which any of this has very little to do with.
Unless the boat has capsules, a 180 MPH failure is simply not survivable.
Please remember also that 99+% of the world knows little or no difference what this is vs. what we do every weekend, and would like nothing more than to lump it together.

as far as customer service, well...some just have a well known better record of satisfaction than others, deal with it.

So what are you saying Rip....that if someone crashed
at the salt flats trying to break the land speed record
that it will put a huge black eye on the auto industry?
Or does that only hold true for boats?
As long as there are records, man will try to best them.
Fact of life.

warbird 12-14-2006 01:08 PM

I'm late to this thread and what I'm gonna say is probably irrelevant, but:

I seem to remember a few years back in F-2 racing when a certain manufacturer that I know something about raced for one year. As I recall, they "dominated" the curcuit that year; six for six. As you know, F-2 is about same motors, sealed, and the best hull design wins. I think there were some Fountains racing in F-2 that year...

If we're going to expand and benefit "our" sport of recreational offshore boating, we need to make more sense to the new prospective buyers. And, in my opinion, that has nothing to do with very specially built boats that no one can buy, claiming to be the "fastest". Clearly, there's nothing wrong with guys like Reggie and others wanting speed records for advertising purposes. But the confusion between boats that a new guy can actually buy and one-offs doesn't do any of us any favors.

Hell, why don't we have a contest for "fastest 100 yards from a dead stop"? I'd enter my clunky Midnight in that one LOL.

Tom A. 12-14-2006 01:29 PM

I want to make clear, I am in no way against all out run whatca brung world record speed attempts. I think my problem lies in the advertising and marketing of these records once they have them....not just Reggie mind you. I don't like to read the ads that state "YOU too can buy the same World Record setting hull"....when in reality you can't. Even Bonneville has different classes of competition.

deanpp 12-14-2006 01:36 PM

Any one know what the current record is for V Bottoms?

Sean H 12-14-2006 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by deanpp
Any one know what the current record is for V Bottoms?

Ron P 12-14-2006 01:51 PM

www.amfoffshoreracing.com

For the last two years, Haggin and AMF have held an open kilo with an APBA certified course in Crescent City FL. Everyone is welcome and a good time is gaurenteed.

Last year OPA was the santioning body for this event.

Downtown42 12-14-2006 02:48 PM

#1 Fountain again. This is getting boring, is there anyone else out there that make a fast boat ? :chimp:

sorry, I had to chump in somewhere :evilb:

I'll bet 100,000 buks Warbird won't beat 'em :drink:

30Spectre 12-14-2006 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 9 Lives
Well, at least one thing we know for sure after Reggie's public announcement
during the Jacksonville Poker Run of the unsafety of the catamaran design,
that he won't be trying for one of these crazy speed attempts in one of those
dangerous contraptions. :D

Now thats some funny $hit

copiercat 12-14-2006 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i was checking out the callan websites after i heard about this boat sitting in a field, and i see that they make a v and a cat, but they they set the records with a cat, hmm wonder what they know?

T2x 12-14-2006 03:30 PM

I just read this whole, so called thread. Let me see if I get this straight.

Reginald says he's going to break his own "record" .......for unlimited power in a monohull. He hasn't actually done anything but put out a press release..yet he's stirred up more useless noise and smoke than an old Oldsmobile with a bad muffler.

Some of you believe that this will prove that Fountains are better than anything else...including vees, cats, F-1 Ferraris, F-16's, and sex with Swedish twins.

Others believe that he is still pushing the envelope in spite of his age...... a sort of modern day Moses racing up Mount Sinai..... a beacon of light for those poor souls lost in the darkness of powerboat performance oblivion....a veritable inspiration for both the washed and the unwashed masses to follow..... The Pied Piper of Propeller driven speedboats.

The sad thing..... many of you actually swallow this hype, proving yet again that clever marketing trumps fact every time. This is a simple example of less and less lbs per HP going faster and faster regardless of hull design........until and unless stability is lost. I hope that the Fountain team are sensible....and lucky. If not than that "better than anything else" Fountain Uber Hull will become just so much tragic trash.....

My advice for those of you who find your identity by hanging on every word and idea emanated by the Tarboro Flash.......

or anyone else for that matter..............

Get a life.

T2x