Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/147129-fountain-new-kilo-record-miami-show.html)

Fanatic 12-15-2006 12:30 PM

Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Originally Posted by Dredgeking
I don't have any facts, but horsepower yesterday doesn't seem to equal horsepower today. I don't know if it's a measuring, calibration, calculation or instrumentation issue.

In the auto world there was a change in hp in the mid 70's and the way the hp was rated. Nothing has changed since 1990 and today.

T2x 12-15-2006 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Fanatic, the fact...REAL FACT...is T2X can't explain this and he refuses to acknowledge these facts as well. He's REALLY the one drinking Kool Aid. Rich, I understand and know that Fountain uses these races and kilo's for there marketing department. OL and Sunsation hang there hats on a P-Class win as World Champs and Cigarette hangs there marketing hat on there past racing history as well..why don;t you lambaste them as well?

I'm not lambasting anyone....I'm merely lamenting the need for some people on this site to deify ordinary men who possess an ability to self agrandize, be they boat manufacturers, APBA Offshore Chairmen, or boat racers.

Oddly the same people who worship at one altar and are left disappointed seem to be first to belly up to the next.........

T2x

T2x 12-15-2006 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fanatic
Have some actual fact to back that up?

Also how about the HUGE weight difference between the pleasure boats and full race boat?

My buddies 42 with twin merc was stripped to the bone.

Well..... even back in the day..... the old Mercruiser 750 HP Open class engines used to run rings around most other "900-1000 HP" offerings from "other" builders. This has happened consistently over the years.

The closest you'll get to reality is the Mercruiser HP and they never claimed anything near 1500 HP, but their old 900 SC's were as fast or faster than anything else on the race course.
Offshore is littered with wild dyno claims that didn't (and don't) hold up in real world use.......... But the 1075's seem to be right up there with anything else available today....unless of course you burn a little "fuel" to up the ante.

I know nothing about your "buddies boat", but if you want to start a thread to delve into "he said-she said" that would be an appropriate forum.

If your point is that a 9000 lb Fountain with true 3000 HP is faster than a 14000 LB Fountain with "claimed" 3000HP. I agree.

If you fail to understand that a lighter boat, faster props, lower drag gearcases, and more HP creates speed regardless of changes in hull design ......... Than I've got a bridge to sell ya.

T2x

JROMY 12-15-2006 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
If you fail to understand that a lighter boat, faster props, lower drag gearcases, and more HP creates speed regardless of changes in hull design ......... Than I've got a bridge to sell ya.

T2x

I think I'm missing something. My 33 PowerPlay with 525s, ITS XR shorties runs about 85 mph +/- any day of the week. A friend's new twin step gun with identical power, drives, etc., weighing considerably more, is 2+/- mph faster than me on average, running 87 mph +/-. The only reason I see that a heavier boat is going to be faster, everything else being equal (including our driving skills) , is hull design. So that being said, it certainly seems to me that Fountain's changes in hull design (brought about through their racing/kilo efforts) definately have some impact in the speeds their pleasure boats are able to reach.

100-Plus 12-15-2006 02:04 PM

Question for T2X and FeverMike:

All things being equal in terms of boat weight, power, props, X-dimension, gear ratio, rpm, deck "aerodynamics," conditons and driver ability, if a both a stepped V-hull and a conventional V-hull are riding on their last six inches of running surface and final third of their propellers blades, shouldn't their top speed be the same?

A simpler way of asking this question might be: Once a stepped boat is riding on the final section of its running surface, how do the steps continue to enhance its top speed? Or is that a common misconception? For sure, if it's true their must be an explanation, and that explanation has to beyond a simple "it's just more efficient."

Great discussion guys. Definitely not to be taken personally by anyone. Asking questions is a good thing.

the duke 12-15-2006 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
I'm not lambasting anyone....I'm merely lamenting the need for some people on this site to deify ordinary men who possess an ability to self agrandize, be they boat manufacturers, APBA Offshore Chairmen, or boat racers.

No one is trying to make Reggie into a god. But lets face it. There is NO ONE out there today building boats that can even shine his shoes as far as his racing skills. Reggie might be a lot of things, but he has ALWAYS backed up what he said on the water. As I'm sure you know, he got his first racing job with glastron/carlson by having an ego telling them he could win. and he did.

the duke 12-15-2006 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 100-Plus
A simpler way of asking this question might be: Once stepped boat is running on the final section of its running surface, how do the steps continue to enhance its top speed?.

They don't. what they (steps) do is allow less power to get you to the point when you are on that last 2 feet. If you have ever riden in a fast stepped boat, you can feel the hull lift at a certain speed. almost like hydrofoils. The steps just did their job, overcame the waters resistance, and now you can get those higher speeds

100-Plus 12-15-2006 02:22 PM

So what you're saying is now that you're on the last two feet of hull, you have more power left to reach that "top" speed because, in a stepped boat, you got there more efficiently ... it took less power? So theoretically, I'd get to that last two feet of hull with more operating range (rpm) left in my engine. Right?

I've ridden in many, many stepped boats and I know the feeling you've described. And I understand how steps work in reducing wetted running surface. It's the final top speed part I've been a little hazy about. You might just have enlightened me, Mr. Duke. Thanks.

marylandmark 12-15-2006 02:58 PM

Please explain more-

I took it as you will get to the same top end quicker? With the stepped hull it will take less power to get there because of less resistance but the same amount of power for both boats to go the same speed once on the back 2 feet.

Ron P 12-15-2006 03:06 PM

But if the boat is so powerful that it rides on just the last two feet...and there's no steps in those last two feet...wouldn't a non stepped boat with the same HP been able to achieve that hyper speed?

So what's steps got to do with speeds that bring them completely out of the water?