Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp >

most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Notices

most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the little POS fishing boats with like 6 guys in it and takes them forever to dock it load it and get there s**t out of it, while my wife and I pull up she gets out of the truck I back it in and they give her the dont you think thats a bit much boat for you honey, she gives me a strong whistle that she is ready and unloads, ties up and has the motors running while i park the rig and then gives them the eat my shorts look. Priceless !
Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM

i like when the guys friend unstraps the front of the boat before he backs down the ramp with a roller trailer. Saw it happen in chicago. OMG i lmao...............
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a little contest – or should I say a couple of contests - I run every time I use the local launch ramps for either my boat (22’ Progression) or my son’s 15’ Boston Whaler – both on full bunk trailers. The first contest involves seeing how little time I can actually tie a ramp up. My current world record for the Progression is 27 seconds. I dropped my 17 year old son off while waiting in line to pull out last year. He grabbed the truck and waited in line. When the guy in front of me pulled out, Brandon was already (expertly) backing down the ramp. Just as the trailer was reaching optimum depth, he was putting the truck in park and I was powering on. As he felt the d-ring hit the bow roller, he put it in drive and smoothly pulled me out as I was trimming up the outboard. We then pulled over to the side to wipe and tie her down so the next guy (who wasn’t even ready) could pull out. A guy who happened to be watching (One of you guys?) then walked up and said, “This ain’t your first rodeo is it?” with a big smile.

The first contest can lead directly to the second contest where your object is to really put someone to shame. I did that when pulling Brandon out one day a few years ago. The guy in front of me was way too far in and thus couldn’t get the boat centered on the trailer. After 5 minutes of agony watching him, I asked his wife if he wanted some help. She said yes, but he declined. So he continued to struggle and finally pulled it out all crooked on the trailer. I then looked at his wife and said “watch this.” I pulled exactly the same stunt I mentioned above, but with the boat and truck drivers reversed. Brandon hit the bunks exactly as I shifted from reverse to drive and powered perfectly on as I started to pull out. As we pulled aside to tie and wipe the Whaler down all of 10 second later, she was going to town on her husband on how a 16 year old kid just put him to shame. I just had to correct her. Brandon was 14 at the time. Yea, that helped. Winner!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

These stories are great! I hope to never star in one of them, however. My boyfriend and I have only been launching together for this season. Previously, the boat was in a slip in VA, then we were in NH for a couple of years and now that we are back in MD, we have the boat here. We had a couple of trying moment getting the boat in the driveway because of the layout, we couldn't talk over the diesel truck and I needed to be watching spots where he couldn't see me for the boat. Bluetooth to the rescue. Life is grand when you make use of the cell phone and the bluetooth! No yelling, no hand signals, just conversation.

We did have a mildly interesting launch when we picked the boat up last weekend after having the engine rebuilt. We were bringing it back to MD, but decided to go ahead and run it some in VA before bringing it back. The ramp was two lanes, but narrow ones. The parking for trailers was around the corner a block. There was no where to tie up except the dock along the ramp. We pre-loaded what we needed, had the bow and stern lines ready, backed up, the boat moved right off the trailer and I maneuvered it to the far end of the available dock. While my boyfriend parked the truck and trailer, a guy unloads his little aluminum johnboat and gives me dirty looks for blocking the lane. Nevermind that he had MORE than ample room to get around me and there was no one waiting in line. I would have been more than happy to start the boat up and get moving, but I would have had to come back into the launch lanes to make the boyfriend scoop up. Plus my boyfriend hasn't decided he trusts me with his baby yet. I have been operating boats for over 25 years, but he has only been around for 5. I am going to get "lessons" though. lol

Last edited by Ange; 06-18-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ramp etiquette

pulling the plug and draining the bilge down the ramp with oil in the bilge and acting stupid and just walking away like it is perfectly OK
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

I think I made a HUGE error at the boat ramp when pulling out yesterday. My wife can not operate the boat or retrieve/back down the trailer so its all on me... lets just get that straight before I go into what happened. Now I have heard horrer stories about people trying to get out of the water at a public launch when the weather turns foul, and yesterday was that day. It was beginning to rain and thunder was in the distance...

I waited my turn to pull the boat up to the launch. There is one short courtesy dock on this lake with enough room to have a boat at the end and probably sneak another one in ahead of it if the pilot has some skill. (this is on a lake and the biggest boat out there is probably 24'. Anyway, I had my wife and kids hold the lines while I went to get the truck. There was a line of 4 or 5 trucks/trailers waiting to retrieve there boats (which were not at the dock so I assume they were floating around just offshore?) Well I drove past the line to get my boat. One guy yelled at me to stop so I did and he asked me what I was doing. I told him that my boat was at the dock (and pointed to it) and wanted to get it out of everyones way. He said, "o, ok, go ahead" So I got back in the truck and the next guy stuck his head out his window cursing every word in the book at me to get in line. I tried explaing that my boat was at the dock and no one would be able to use it until I was out of the way but that didnt phase him. So, I got back in the truck and began to back the truck and trailer up to get in line. Well...my trailer got slightly away from me and it's fender hit a jet ski trailers galvanized fender and and bent the ski's fender to hell. Needless to say the owner was not pleased and I, embarrased and very sorry. I told the guy to hold on, I went back to the truck looking for a couple of $20's or a $50 and could only come up with a $100. I ran back over the driver and apologized again and handed him the $100- His response was... a cracked window, a swift swipe of my $100 and silence. I understand he was upset, I would be too, but hell I gave him $100- at least a thank you would have been appreciated. Hell he can buy two fenders, and still have $50- left over to buy himself somethin nice. I realize I may have been in the wrong, live and learn I suppose but seriously.. people can be azzholes!

After the line proceded forward I got into line, retrieved my boat in under a 2 minutes and was on my way. Now... after all this I assume the PROPER retrieving order is to wait in line with the trucks/trailers even if the boat is taking up valuable dock space? Sound right you?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mysweetone
I think I made a HUGE error at the boat ramp when pulling out yesterday. My wife can not operate the boat or retrieve/back down the trailer so its all on me... lets just get that straight before I go into what happened. Now I have heard horrer stories about people trying to get out of the water at a public launch when the weather turns foul, and yesterday was that day. It was beginning to rain and thunder was in the distance...

I waited my turn to pull the boat up to the launch. There is one short courtesy dock on this lake with enough room to have a boat at the end and probably sneak another one in ahead of it if the pilot has some skill. (this is on a lake and the biggest boat out there is probably 24'. Anyway, I had my wife and kids hold the lines while I went to get the truck. There was a line of 4 or 5 trucks/trailers waiting to retrieve there boats (which were not at the dock so I assume they were floating around just offshore?) Well I drove past the line to get my boat. One guy yelled at me to stop so I did and he asked me what I was doing. I told him that my boat was at the dock (and pointed to it) and wanted to get it out of everyones way. He said, "o, ok, go ahead" So I got back in the truck and the next guy stuck his head out his window cursing every word in the book at me to get in line. I tried explaing that my boat was at the dock and no one would be able to use it until I was out of the way but that didnt phase him. So, I got back in the truck and began to back the truck and trailer up to get in line. Well...my trailer got slightly away from me and it's fender hit a jet ski trailers galvanized fender and and bent the ski's fender to hell. Needless to say the owner was not pleased and I, embarrased and very sorry. I told the guy to hold on, I went back to the truck looking for a couple of $20's or a $50 and could only come up with a $100. I ran back over the driver and apologized again and handed him the $100- His response was... a cracked window, a swift swipe of my $100 and silence. I understand he was upset, I would be too, but hell I gave him $100- at least a thank you would have been appreciated. Hell he can buy two fenders, and still have $50- left over to buy himself somethin nice. I realize I may have been in the wrong, live and learn I suppose but seriously.. people can be azzholes!

After the line proceded forward I got into line, retrieved my boat in under a 2 minutes and was on my way. Now... after all this I assume the PROPER retrieving order is to wait in line with the trucks/trailers even if the boat is taking up valuable dock space? Sound right you?
That's always a tough call... I hate ramps with poor courtesy docks. It really complicates things for guys like us who are always single handing. If there is dock space available, then the trailer ALWAYS controls the ramp. If there is no where to leave the boat while you get your trailer it's a catch .22. I usually try to time it so I can tie the boat up and there is no line. I'm always fast, and people are usually quite surprised when I'm alone dealing with "such a huge boat" ... Our local lake is very small. Move at a professional pace and be courteous and people usually figure out what's going on. If they are diks... F EM!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess technically in your situation since there was a dock available you should wait for it to be free, tie up, then Get in line.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Registered

I would actually add that it would only take a few hours in an afternoon to teach your wife how to at least maneuver to and from a dock to drop you off. If for nothing else, I always wanted someone in the boat that could handle driving it in the case of an emergency, especially with children on board. I always encouraged new boaters to go to the ramp on a non-busy day to get an understanding on how to do this. As stated, I got down pat with my 10 yr old even to drop me at the courtesy dock to not hold up the ramp.

At the end though, the ramp is always filled with attitudes and its own level of impatience so be prepared. Lol