Notices

Towing overwidth

Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call me and I will explain it to you. at your width I would not pull a permit. any permit company can get you permits within days. some states require a DOT number even if you are private. call me 909-********* jeff murray
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug-
The Jag is ready to go? Let's see the photos!
John
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered

To get a DOT # go to www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov If you are private, use your ss# if you have the truck registered to a company ,use you FEIN # in the online app. I have used TC Permit service, only need five days leed time for all the States your going through and they will fax you a work sheef with all the info you need . Certian CGVW you will need a CDL even if your hauling your own boat. LIke the previous posts no weekends, dusk to dawn, yellow strobe, red flags on the cornners, wide load banner. I get permits when I tow or a hire a commercial hauler.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

So how do most of you deal with the (at least in CA) 10K GVWR limit for trailers if you have a regular class C (car) lic.? It is my understanding that you can't tow more than 10K GVWR lbs. without some form of CDL or endorsement (in the case of 5th wheels under 15k GVWR). I went ahead and got a Non-Commercial class A, which basically says I can tow whatever I want (weight wise) as long as it's not for compensation.

Also, not to ruin anybodys day, but I have never seen a 3 axle trailer with a GVWR of less than 15K lbs... So are the rules different in other states? How are you guys "legally" towing your bigger boats?

When I was towing my racecars, I ran into a lot of other racers who were unaware of the 10K limit in Ca...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Registered

Just haul it,no permits,no flags...I don't even register my trailer...just hauled one from NY-Louisiana on a '05 plate.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I am 10'6" wide and run with and without permits. The dawn to dusk is a real pain on long runs. More and more I just run without. Most long time cat guys tell me to run without.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Registered

Whats A Permit?? Just Kidding ..i'll Bet A Cocktail I Personally Have Pulled More Overdimensional **** Down The Road Than Anyone On The Board..the One And Only Time Ever Had A Problem Was When I Did Pull A Permit..actually The 2 Times I Pulled A Permit..50' Nortech Cat And The 50 Cuv "dirty Laundry".. Whatever You Do .. Do Not Run Signs And Banners And Not Stop In The Stations..thats Like Saying You Know The Law And Just Dont Care..my Reccomendation Is Just Go 4 It.. If Your Towing With A Dually The Boat Doesnt Look Real Big .. If Your Pulling With A Toyota , Thats A Differnt Story.... Rule #1 Always Ask For Foregiveness Than Ask For Permission.... The Dot Guys At The Weight Stations Only Know Commerical Stuff. And They Assume Anything On The Road Is That ..its A Whole New Ball Game As Commerical..
Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John, The Jag is almost done and I should have pictures real soon. It has been a long road back but I am very happy with all the repair work that has been done. I will have to sort through the advice on towing. I have towed this boat with a one ton Dodge dually, Topkick, Fl60 and now a Kodiak conversion pick-up truck and since I have been cited, I find myself just wondering if I get stopped again ,if they will make me park it. I do plan on getting my CDL but my research states that you need a class A commercial license to tow anything that weights over 10,000 on a tag hitch and 15,000 with a gooseneck. The confusion continues. Thanks for the imput. Doug
Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDR_John
Also, not to ruin anybodys day, but I have never seen a 3 axle trailer with a GVWR of less than 15K lbs... So are the rules different in other states? How are you guys "legally" towing your bigger boats?
I had a 3 axle boat trailer that was 11k max