Does Virgina have ethanol in its fuel >

Does Virgina have ethanol in its fuel

Notices

Does Virgina have ethanol in its fuel

Old 04-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reckless32
Became mandatory in Virginia as of May 1st, 2006. I just heard on the news last night that a new study is indicating that Ethanol is "worse" for the environment and public health? I know it's worse for my boat's fuel system....
How is it worse for your boats fuel system? I know there are issues with fiberglass tanks, but averything else should be fine.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I wonder how they are getting around it, unless they were given more time to clean their tanks etc. to prep. Down here it was big news as all the facilities were *****in' about the expense of manadatory scrubbing out of tanks prior to the ethanol requirement May 1st, 2006 due to it's water intolerance etc.etc.

Still curious about this new report saying it might be even more toxic than it's predesessor?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

The "primary" problem with boats is the tanks aren't emptied as frequently as automobiles hence the gas sits longer and phase separation sits in (meaning the Ethanol separates form the gas, and is also far less tolerant to moisture than the previous fuels). Plus in older pre-1993 or something like that, older boat's fuel lines and fiberglass tanks will essentially melt and leak unlike newer boat's improved fuel line materials. Throw in bad gas and you've got for instance boost pump failures (I had two last year), potential clogged fuel injectors form sludge if the boat sits for long periods with no preservative etc. etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Old map:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm
Old 04-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

The city of Petersburg is a no ethanol area. If anyone is concerned about getting ethanol free gas for the Jamin' on the James Poker Run.
The other issue with the ethanol additive, is it's ability to attract moisture. The moisture in an aluminum tank causes the aluminum to oxidate. The oxidation crystals clog the pick-up tube filter (sock), which in turn starves the engine/engines of gas.
I also read that the ethanol attacks the resins in the fiberglass tanks, causing it to break down and mix with the gas. It then solidifies again during combustion, leaving deposits on the pistons and the valve train. Not a good thing......
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gizmo
The city of Petersburg is a no ethanol area. If anyone is concerned about getting ethanol free gas for the Jamin' on the James Poker Run.
The other issue with the ethanol additive, is it's ability to attract moisture. The moisture in an aluminum tank causes the aluminum to oxidate. The oxidation crystals clog the pick-up tube filter (sock), which in turn starves the engine/engines of gas.
I also read that the ethanol attacks the resins in the fiberglass tanks, causing it to break down and mix with the gas. It then solidifies again during combustion, leaving deposits on the pistons and the valve train. Not a good thing......
Both of which can be fixed though with new tanks. it is a PITA but sometimes you have to evolve with the times. The ethanol itself is not causing any damage to the engines.