Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/157487-smoke-water-poker-run-2007-has-been-canceled.html)

boatme 08-19-2008 02:38 PM

Suit is over as you can see

Both families got Mucho Money

It was a nightmare that i wont get over any time soon

Our system is so broken it is not funny

Jupiter Sunsation 08-19-2008 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 2657531)
Suit is over as you can see

Both families got Mucho Money

It was a nightmare that i wont get over any time soon

Our system is so broken it is not funny

Well if she got 3mm the personal injury lawyer got 1/3 plus expenses (costs like insurance investigators/accident reconstruction etc.)

Marc if they got mucho money where did the it come from? SOTW shouldn't have had any substantial assets and you and Bob wouldn't be personally liable. Did they get big judgements with no payoffs or did they actually collect from someone?

PhantomChaos 08-19-2008 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2657559)
Well if she got 3mm the personal injury lawyer got 1/3 plus expenses (costs like insurance investigators/accident reconstruction etc.)

Marc if they got mucho money where did the it come from? SOTW shouldn't have had any substantial assets and you and Bob wouldn't be personally liable. Did they get big judgements with no payoffs or did they actually collect from someone?

That would be interesting information. Things I'm interested in are:

1) What did the waiver look like and the wording.
2) Who was named in the lawsuit?
3) On what grounds was the award made and who was liable?
4) What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
5) What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

Ms PatriYacht 08-19-2008 04:26 PM

Nort were you friends with the owner of the OL, if my memory serves me correct he was from CA.

PhantomChaos 08-19-2008 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht (Post 2657640)
Nort were you friends with the owner of the OL, if my memory serves me correct he was from CA.

Nope....your memory is screwed up just like mine! :D If he was from CA, I don't know him, but I am on the board of SCOPE so I have concerns.

Queenie 08-19-2008 04:50 PM

Yep, our entire system is screwed up.

The only person who should have been able to get sued is the driver and throttleman. Both are responsible in knowing the run stops and for the safety of the occupants on the boat.

Our court system sucks.

32fever 08-19-2008 05:10 PM

So a person or family of one that could afford a new Outerlimits worth $500k plus sues and takes money away from Make A Wish kids for what really amounts to a driver error from somene not from the area and not knowing where to turn? Beautiful system we have here. ( I don't know what happened and it was years ago, but seems the boat was out front and realized he missed the port and panic turned at a high speed if I recall)

Seems there was a younger gentleman that lost his life that had a family and it was his first ride on such a boat in a run like this. That's very unfortunate and I can see his family seeking something, but from the driver of the boat, not the sponsor of the event. Maybe they got something from both, who knows.

All of this unfortunate, from the families of those involved to the kids that benfitted.

All I know is I'm glad I'm not living with that guilt. That is probably the worst of all. I never want to be in those shoes.

boatme 08-19-2008 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2657621)
That would be interesting information. Things I'm interested in are:

2) Who was named in the lawsuit?
4) What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
5) What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

It was a very comprehensive waiver It doesn't mater what it looked like. It could have been red, and the lawyers would have argued it looked blue and that is the color of water so it is all wet. It isn't about what is right and what is wrong its about MONEY!!!!

2)Who was named in the lawsuit?

Who wasn't ? Who ever the lawyers thought they could tap some money from got included

I say this seriously ,The award was based on how much the lawyers could get without it going to some type of trial. It was negotiated between Lawyers, Insurance agents, defendants, and litigants Translation is ANY ONE CAN BE LIABLE!!!

4)What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
3 Million coverage with 1% deductable (Big one for you promoters to look at)

We would have been better off to have less, not more, insurance coverage dollar wise

5)What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

Turns out it is good thing we did not, or the lawyers would have been trying to attach themselfs to that as well

Until we stop voting lawyers into public office, and while we continue to let the system abuse us, it will never be about right and wrong, it will be about MONEY

At one point in depositions a dipstick lawyer asked " how fast are the boats on your logo are going." Answer - "They arent moving at all, why do you see them moving on my shirt ???"

If you read the final ruling it would make you sick on how they tried to arrive at a dollar amount. What was even more outragouse is how the did there calculations

The ones who really win at this are the lawyers

We sat for hours in mediation. Everytime the mediator walked out of the room to confer with another group, the lawyers in the room started bad mouthing judges. Imagin that :(

The moral here is you are at risk for anything, and it just is a matter how high you want your exposure to be

No insurance will protect you from being sued It just helps to pay for it, that is all. But you will spend a ton to prove you are inicent no matter what you are being sued for

boatme 08-19-2008 06:18 PM

sorry i just re read what i wrote and i rambled a bit

I just get so pizzed off every time i start thinking about this nighmare that i start to ramble

PhantomChaos 08-19-2008 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 2657741)

It was a very comprehensive waiver It doesn't mater what it looked like. It could have been red, and the lawyers would have argued it looked blue and that is the color of water so it is all wet. It isn't about what is right and what is wrong its about MONEY!!!!

2)Who was named in the lawsuit?

Who wasn't ? Who ever the lawyers thought they could tap some money from got included

I say this seriously ,The award was based on how much the lawyers could get without it going to some type of trial. It was negotiated between Lawyers, Insurance agents, defendants, and litigants Translation is ANY ONE CAN BE LIABLE!!!

4)What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
3 Million coverage with 1% deductable (Big one for you promoters to look at)

We would have been better off to have less, not more, insurance coverage dollar wise

5)What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

Turns out it is good thing we did not, or the lawyers would have been trying to attach themselfs to that as well

Until we stop voting lawyers into public office, and while we continue to let the system abuse us, it will never be about right and wrong, it will be about MONEY

At one point in depositions a dipstick lawyer asked " how fast are the boats on your logo are going." Answer - "They arent moving at all, why do you see them moving on my shirt ???"

If you read the final ruling it would make you sick on how they tried to arrive at a dollar amount. What was even more outragouse is how the did there calculations

The ones who really win at this are the lawyers

We sat for hours in mediation. Everytime the mediator walked out of the room to confer with another group, the lawyers in the room started bad mouthing judges. Imagin that :(

The moral here is you are at risk for anything, and it just is a matter how high you want your exposure to be

No insurance will protect you from being sued It just helps to pay for it, that is all. But you will spend a ton to prove you are inicent no matter what you are being sued for

Thanks for the info.....so they got the max you were covered for on the event ($3 million)?