Virginia fuels tax refund?

Notices

Virginia fuels tax refund?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by razor1115
Just a thought...don't the marina fuels all ready have the road tax removed from the price? Are the marinas still including this price and "gouging" boaters?
Yeah really..... that's how it is here in NJ.....

Go figure....if a marina has a pump on land they have to pay the land tax...but they still stick it to us at the pump on the water.....

All gas on the water is 10-15% higher and they don't have to pay the tax... At least make the prices the same as they are on land which would make me feel better about the d!ckhead boat owner tax...
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Yeah really..... that's how it is here in NJ.....

Go figure....if a marina has a pump on land they have to pay the land tax...but they still stick it to us at the pump on the water.....

All gas on the water is 10-15% higher and they don't have to pay the tax... At least make the prices the same as they are on land which would make me feel better about the d!ckhead boat owner tax...
Think about what the insurance costs must be for a gas tank just feet from a naviagable body of water. On top of that marinas sell less gas each year than the tpical road side station. (maybe the same # of gallons during the summer per day, but certainly much less during 8 months out of the year)
Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by t500hps
Think about what the insurance costs must be for a gas tank just feet from a naviagable body of water. On top of that marinas sell less gas each year than the tpical road side station. (maybe the same # of gallons during the summer per day, but certainly much less during 8 months out of the year)
When I was younger, 18-20 yrs old.. I leased a gas dock with a partner, I know the costs all too well...and it's a rip off..

We could afford to charge the same price for 93 octane as the competition up the river was charging for 89 and still had an exellent profit margin and my commission was nice....

Last edited by Panther; 05-10-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:39 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
When I was younger, 18-20 yrs old.. I leased a gas dock with a partner, I know the costs all too well...and it's a rip off..

We could afford to charge the same price for 93 octane as the competition up the river was charging for 89 and still had an exellent profit margin and my commission was nice....
Profit at 18-20 years old is much different than profit at 38-40 years old......
I don't know the numbers, just thought my logic made sense.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razor1115
Just a thought...don't the marina fuels all ready have the road tax removed from the price? Are the marinas still including this price and "gouging" boaters?
No they don"t, that is why you get a roadtax refund.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by t500hps
Profit at 18-20 years old is much different than profit at 38-40 years old......
I don't know the numbers, just thought my logic made sense.
We'll I don't know...cause I'm not even 30 yet (September)...

My profits were much less (5,6 and 7% for 89, Super and Diesel, respectively) than what the marina was making. We were selling the fuel at 100% mark-up from our distributor and averaged, if I remember correctly, about 50k gallons a weekend and about 1/2 that during the week.

Last edited by Panther; 05-10-2007 at 07:33 PM.