Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My expensive lesson at Lake Cumberland Marina (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159280-my-expensive-lesson-lake-cumberland-marina.html)

dean51267 06-01-2007 11:30 PM

I don't know, the silence from Randy is defening. Big Chubby has a lot of credit with me, and I have traveled down to GA to see a boat listed here in the classifieds here and found it to be far less than promised, to the point the boat never even hit the water, I went there as a buyer, with a cashiers check in my pocket, but never expected the seller to reimburse my expenses, which ran near $1000.

I still think there is more here than is being presented, and as creditable as Jeff (big Chubby) is, he can not be a first party source. However, with as many people as I personally know who LCM has made very, very happy, I still think there is more to the story.

I just thought of something. Every so often I have a client I just do not click with, on a rare occasion one I can not stand, they have the expectations I walk on water, and want me to do so at unrealistic prices and do not intend to treat my girls (employees) the way I want, so I just let the deal fall apart. Maybe I should tell them "you are a fking jerk and I am not taking a penny of your money" but instead I just let the relationship fall apart. That is what this sounds like to me. On a super rare occasion the communication was just not working and I thought the guy was a jerk and was not, but based upon something else in my past I figured he was and incorrectly ignored them. If you weed out bad clients at the door occasionally you will accidently weed out a good one. It is simply the cost of doing business. Maybe there is some of this here. Seems to be the only thing that makes sense. YOu do not build an outfit the size of LCM by screwing over customers, the market just oes not work that way, and expecially not this one.

However we now know Tony is looking for a check, so this is not a story of "I am simply providing info", it is more of a "I got screwed and expect to get paid" story, which has a different creditability level all together.

GO4BROKE 06-02-2007 06:48 AM

Everyones experience is different. I made a deal on a 45 sonic with Randy, everything done but a sea trial. Had to back out at the last minute, I was treated very well. He could have kept my deposit but returned it. Another board member wound up with it, so it was the nice boat that was represented to me. Conversely on of the dealers listed as good on this thread had me fly 1/2 way across the country to look at a total pile of crap that had been described to me as a clean boat with motors built off the original (2000) 500's. It was a beat boat with mark IV blocks (haven't been built since 1993 ish). Totally misrepresented the boat. The engine builder was the only honest one. Cost me $500 to find out.

CcanDo 06-02-2007 08:12 AM

:mad: Perhaps LCM doesn't consider it a big deal and therefore elects not to respond !! Or, considers it prudent to "let that sleeping dog lie ". It might be interesting to know how many other respondents a response LCM would draw. I'll bet there are some!!!!!!!

LostinBoston 06-02-2007 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by CcanDo (Post 2148253)
:mad: Perhaps LCM doesn't consider it a big deal and therefore elects not to respond !! Or, considers it prudent to "let that sleeping dog lie ". It might be interesting to know how many other respondents a response LCM would draw. I'll bet there are some!!!!!!!

A company cant respond to every little grievance by somebody on the net. They should do it privately. I dont blame LCM for not posting here. Nothing good will come of it. People already know there are 3 sides to the story and have decided to belive what they want.

This thread is interesting and informative and I think we all learned a lesson from your experience. Ive been to a dealer to check out a boat that was misrepresented like yours, but all it cost me was a drive across town, it happens, too often, but unfortunatly thats part of the marine industry.

CcanDo 06-02-2007 10:19 AM

Perhaps it could be argued that while this grievance may be small, the topic is high profile ,with 6,227 views at the moment.

Further,it could be argued that while LCM stands nothing to gain by responding they do stand to lose by putting themselves above it all. I'm of the opinion this board doesn't tolerate contempt. In fact ,do to the population of viewers on this topic ,how could LCM buy better advertising ,subject to their response ?

tomtbone1993 06-02-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston (Post 2148286)
This thread is interesting and informative and I think we all learned a lesson from your experience. Ive been to a dealer to check out a boat that was misrepresented like yours, but all it cost me was a drive across town, it happens, too often, but unfortunatly thats part of the marine industry.

Not just Marine, anytime something is pre-owned and a trade in is involved. :(

What if the roles were reversed? Lets say LCM's boat was as described but the trade in wasn't. I am sure that happens a lot as well. For all dealers in the retail indusrty.

Revd Up 06-02-2007 11:49 AM

A couple of years ago I was looking for a new boat. Found a Larry Smith Scarab that I was interested in located in Florida.
The seller assuredd me it was "real clean" no scratches, mechanically perfect etc. I got on a plane and flew from Chicago to Florida to check it out and put the deal together. The boat was a total P.O.S.. I was disappointed ,but learned a lesson. If I had to do it again, I would have one of my OSO brothers check it out first before going any further .
Steve

Tony Montana 06-02-2007 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday (Post 2148033)
Everyone has a different opinion of what is good and what is not when it comes to anything we buy.

Yea but do you ever notice when some one is the "seller" its always clean clean clean.:rolleyes: Its a joke how some people bullchit you about the condition like your not going to realize:eureka: it when you get there in person to see it!

satisfactionII 06-03-2007 10:55 AM

I can understand LCM's no response on the net but I also understand Tony's willingness to start the thread. Most grievances like this should be taken care of in a private manner but they do educate us in the aspects of bidness dealings and human nature.

My expeirence in purchasing the 3 boats I have owned all worked out good. My last one was with a dealer that had a good reputation and all I expected was a clean used boat.

Tony, I hope you next venture into boat purchasing turns good for you and LCM, keep on keeping on.