Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My expensive lesson at Lake Cumberland Marina (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159280-my-expensive-lesson-lake-cumberland-marina.html)

dean51267 05-29-2007 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by wnelles (Post 2143539)
I'm sure Randy knew the buyer was driving 20 hours to buy the boat. Why didn't he have the boat checked out and ready to go for the buyer. I don't blame the buyer at all for being upset.

no doubt, sounds like mistakes on both sides. With a reputation like Lake Cumberland has I might be less inclined to check it out 14 ways to Sunday before driving up, but that would be my mistake too.

Seems to me like a situation where cooler heads should prevail. I would hate to think I drove 20 hours to purchase something that I had only seen a picture of, with only a limited amount of time to purchase the item, and if it were not up to standard I had lost my expenses in travel. Again, we ain't talking no $.50 pack of gum, we are talking about a significant amount of money, it is unreasonable to not make resonable efforts to ensure the items condition before investing thousands of dollars and hours and hours of driving to buy "sight unseen".

gsmith9898 05-29-2007 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by F-N-iGuy.com (Post 2143526)
Doesn't work that way. Takes 2-4 weeks for paperwork to get mailed, etc.

Depends on the state and how paid for. I live in oklahoma and we are a non title holding state. It is illegal here to sell a boat with out a title or bill of sale stating that you will file for lost title. If it is a new car or boat than you get a origin title that the state will conert to a state title and that takes about three days. I take my check book and if you don't have the title and lien release than I don't buy.

CBR 05-29-2007 02:10 PM

I have been assurred by several "excellent" firms in the hi-po boating world that my boat had been serviced and was ready to go. But, when I flew down from from NYC to Florida to do my winter boating it was not. Merely standard practice in the marine business. Sad to say.

Needless to say, those firms have all lost my business, permanently. I don't care how "great" they are. My favorite was the inside rack storage place that told me this B.S. and when I got flew in, the boat was still shrink wrapped from the northern trip down, had not even had the wrapping taken off, and had been sitting outside for three months. Funny eh!

Chris288 05-29-2007 02:47 PM

I drove back and forth 6 times and 24 hours to have my boat serviced by a Sunsation dealer properly in PA. Then back and forth 6 times and 18 hours to a Merc. platinum dealer in CT to have my boat serviced by a dealer who supposedly knew what they were doing. I'm sure I incurred about a grand or two in expenses and ended up with a gouge in my paint, a dented exhaust, loose wires, a dirty filthy greasy bloody rear bench seat, shoe prints all over my boat, lost drive shower, and to top it all off, the master mechanic that pulled my motor and put it back in routed the speedo pick-up tube over the top of the bell housing, it quickly melted through the hose and the first time out this year I had water spray all over the motor and about 15 gallons in the bilge. The marine idustry as a whole is as shady as it gets.

If I had a customer traveling 20 hours and towing his boat to come look at a boat I was selling, I would have made damn sure that boat was in tip top shape and ready to sea-trial.

getchasum111 05-29-2007 02:51 PM

i live in Somerset about 1 mile from Lake Cumberland Marine....I even tried to go sell boats for them....been in the car buisness for 14 years and boats are my passion just like you....anyways if you need me to inspect a boat for you just call Chip Cecil...229-669-5380

DollaBill 05-29-2007 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by gsmith9898 (Post 2143713)
Depends on the state and how paid for. I live in oklahoma and we are a non title holding state. It is illegal here to sell a boat with out a title or bill of sale stating that you will file for lost title. If it is a new car or boat than you get a origin title that the state will conert to a state title and that takes about three days. I take my check book and if you don't have the title and lien release than I don't buy.

I'm speaking about boat dealers. As a rule, you get a bill of sale (purchase agreement). MOST dealers floor their new boats and some larger trades/used. The title and lein release take a little while to get. Additonally since most buyers finance some portion of the purchase price the buyers never see the title

CBR 05-29-2007 04:02 PM

I should add that TNT Marine/Spinnackers in Miami always did exactly what they promised, and I would be pleased to do business again with them in the future.

jeff1000man 05-29-2007 05:28 PM

You know we used to say on the car lot. "Sticker is quicker and the service is better"

Buy from individuals, at least it is a fairer fight.

lucky strike 05-29-2007 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by CBR (Post 2143894)
I should add that TNT Marine/Spinnackers in Miami always did exactly what they promised, and I would be pleased to do business again with them in the future.

Service plus is what I've always found with TNT. They go out of there way to do the right thing.

LS