Urgent: Importing boat from Canada to USA

Notices

Urgent: Importing boat from Canada to USA

Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent: Importing boat from Canada to USA

Hey All,

I need some advice from someone who has purchased a boat in Canada and brought it back to their residence in the USA (specifically Washington state). I plan on picking up a used boat this Tuesday in Canada and bringing it home to Washington. I have read different things and spoke with some people about this and I've received mixed feedback.

Has anyone actually done this or know for sure what I need?

I appreciate your help.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I bought a new boat from a Canadian delaer 10 years ago.

A few hiccups, but it went well. We bought FOB my New York address. Dealer delivered boat. Had boat US Cast Guard documented as required as part of the financing. US CC would not accept Canadian notary...so dealer traveled to USA to have that done.

Used boat from a non-delaer may put more resposibility for paperwork...on you. Run this past customs...they can set you straight on duty... Go slow...there may be traps to avaoid...don't assume SOP in the USA applies.
Originally Posted by btrain
Hey All,

I need some advice from someone who has purchased a boat in Canada and brought it back to their residence in the USA (specifically Washington state). I plan on picking up a used boat this Tuesday in Canada and bringing it home to Washington. I have read different things and spoke with some people about this and I've received mixed feedback.

Has anyone actually done this or know for sure what I need?

I appreciate your help.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered

I bought a magnum up in Canada 4 yrs ago. it wasn't a problem at all. All i brought back was a bill of sale and registration and showed them to us customs at the border. i wasnt at the border for more than 5-10 min, and they said go on through.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Registered

Double J - Registration and a bill of sale is what I've been told so far and it sounds like it worked for you - which is great news. Is it true that Canada does not issue titles for boats and trailers? Also, did you pay tax when you went over the border or did you pay tax when you licensed it in the US?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I paid slaes tax when I registered the boat in New York. Paid nothing to Canada.

I suspect if this was a dealer sale and picked up in Canada I would of paid Canadian taxes, then New York, then Canaian taxes would of been refunded. (For typical non-motor nvehicle purchases Canadian taxes are refunded immediately at the border stores.)

Double J - Registration and a bill of sale is what I've been told so far and it sounds like it worked for you - which is great news. Is it true that Canada does not issue titles for boats and trailers? Also, did you pay tax when you went over the border or did you pay tax when you licensed it in the US?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I leave to pick up the boat early tomorrow morning. Any other last minute suggestions/experiences?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it true that Canada does not issue titles for boats and trailers?
btrain, the trailer will come with a title (registration/insurance papers). Without it, and if a transfer of ownership form is not completed, the person you buy it from could legally claim it as stolen.
As far as the boat goes...all boats in Canada have to be registered with the Dept of Transportation. In BC, that will be the 'K' numbers on the boat, (or more recently the 'BC' numbers). Although it's not a legal form of registration of ownership and there are no transfer papers involved, it would be good to get this paperwork to help you at the border if there any problems.
I am assuming you are getting this boat from BC. If you have any questions tomorrow about what paperwork you should be getting, give me a call at 604-968-6955.

Glen

BTW: If you are buying this boat from a dealer, you'll have to pay PST (6% Provincial Sales Tax) and GST (7% Goods and Services Tax [Federal]). You used to be able to get reimbursement for the GST, but I believe the Canadian gov stopped that about a year ago. If the purchase is from a private individual, you'll have no taxes to pay on the Canadian side.

I bought my boat in the US and brought it to Canada. I needed a seperate bill of sale for the trailer and the boat. Not sure if it is the same going the other way. I'd probably be a good idea to stop at the US customs on your way up and confirm with them what you need.

Last edited by yeller; 08-06-2007 at 09:50 PM.