Like Tree0Likes

Importing boat from US to Canada

Reply
Old 05-13-2008, 11:42 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
My Boats: 2006 Larson Senza 206
Posts: 3,138
Default Importing boat from US to Canada

Hey Guys, I am looking to buy a sea doo in Buffalo NY and I want to import it to Canada where I live, has anyone done this, what is the procedure? Also, if I am exporting the boat, do I pay tax in the US since I will have to pay Canadian taxes aswell? Anything to know aboout registering it, is this any different then just changing registration in Canada?
Any help would really be appreciated. thanks
Perlmudder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Petesflht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Western Canada
My Boats: 02 Fountain 27' Fever 575 Raylar 496
Posts: 71
Default import

I imported a boat last year to Canada, would do it again in a heartbeat, was very easy and if come through Alberta , well, say no provincial sales tax.........must pay GST, will require a bill of sale. if you are importing a boat trailer then google R I V and its very straightforward. inspection will be required on the boat trailer, most trailers are fine. Nothing special with the boat, once hear apply for your new boat numbers as they are not transferable accross the boarder. Don't know what exporting is like....
Petesflht is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
My Boats: 2006 Larson Senza 206
Posts: 3,138
Default

thanks for the info, does anyone know if I have to pay taxes in the states when I purchase it? I have lots of friends who work at customs, so hopefully they will be able to help me out
Perlmudder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Niagara
My Boats: 85 Stinger 390X, 87 Stinger 260
Posts: 129
Default

Depends which state your in. I did NOT pay tax in the states but did in Canada at Fort Erie.
I hired a broker and had all the paperwork done ahead of time.
The border will be more interested in the trailer than the boat or watercraft. The trailer is mode of transport so you better have a registration for that for sure!
Once in Canada you have to go to any Canadian Tire store and get a survey of the trailer (its free) and they fill out a form and you take it ot eh MTO and get your plates.
As for the boat, just go to any local Customs office (or Employment Insurance office min my case?) and they will give you your Ontari numbers for the water craft. Just have your pink paper from the border and the original bill of sale.

That's it...all done in one day, two stops.
ve3lt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
  #5
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member
 
tblrklakemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SW Missouri
My Boats: In the Slow Lane
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
thanks for the info, does anyone know if I have to pay taxes in the states when I purchase it? I have lots of friends who work at customs, so hopefully they will be able to help me out
I sold my last boat to a guy in saskatchewan.....didnt say anything about sales tax on the state side. He did need a temp tag on the trailer to get it through the border....go that the local license office. You only pay a tax in my state when you register the boat or car in your name.
tblrklakemo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 AM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
My Boats: 2006 Larson Senza 206
Posts: 3,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3lt View Post
Depends which state your in. I did NOT pay tax in the states but did in Canada at Fort Erie.
I hired a broker and had all the paperwork done ahead of time.
The border will be more interested in the trailer than the boat or watercraft. The trailer is mode of transport so you better have a registration for that for sure!
Once in Canada you have to go to any Canadian Tire store and get a survey of the trailer (its free) and they fill out a form and you take it ot eh MTO and get your plates.
As for the boat, just go to any local Customs office (or Employment Insurance office min my case?) and they will give you your Ontari numbers for the water craft. Just have your pink paper from the border and the original bill of sale.

That's it...all done in one day, two stops.
I have the trailer in canada and it is registered and has the papers, but do you know if I have to pay sales tax in NY state since I am going to be bringing it over the peace bridge, I know I will have to pay tax on the canadian side at customs. I would just rather not get hit with both NY state tax and then pst and gst. any help would be great
Perlmudder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:35 AM
  #7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
HaxbySpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,181
Default

You're all good Perl, if it's a private sale you'll only pay the GST when you get back to Canada. But if you've already got the trailer you should just tell em you were out jettin around the falls for the day
HaxbySpeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 AM
  #8
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
Double R Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wherever We Need To Be
My Boats: Nor-tech, Outerlimits, Mercury Racing TEAM Engine Packages
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed View Post
You're all good Perl, if it's a private sale you'll only pay the GST when you get back to Canada. But if you've already got the trailer you should just tell em you were out jettin around the falls for the day
PST is also applicable. Call me if you want. I am very familiar with the process.

Peter
705 487 7575
Double R Performance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
My Boats: 2006 Larson Senza 206
Posts: 3,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R Performance View Post
PST is also applicable. Call me if you want. I am very familiar with the process.

Peter
705 487 7575
Thanks Peter, I will give you a call tomorrow.
Perlmudder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
btrain
General Boating Discussion
6
08-06-2007 10:37 PM
Magicfloat
General Boating Discussion
15
11-10-2006 12:05 AM
sakoutis3
General Boating Discussion
3
06-07-2006 08:27 PM
Anarchy Powerboats
General Boating Discussion
9
07-23-2005 12:28 AM
grand-illusion
General Boating Discussion
12
01-23-2005 09:02 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.