Notices

Noise law in Michigan

Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost every customer I have at the Wharf Marina with a offshore boat 28' and up has been pulled over for noise. It really sucks but there is nothing we can do about it. I pull the Sheriff's boats for them every week for cleaning and service and I would have to say they've slowed down on the tickets. I know they are getting alot of preasure from the new condo community in Grand Haven cause they interviewed one of them when the news interviewed me about the noise. Hopefully they will relax and next year won't be as bad but if people start thinking they are going to get together and file a law suit against them, your're just going to piss them off and they will come down on us harder.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered

Will be in Charlevoix this weekend with my Cig and I'm just planning on getting stopped and a ticket right out of the gate. Bye the way where is the best place to launch a 38 Cig on lake charlevoix? Thanks
Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MnHowardCat
I got stoped two weeks ago and had to do a 50'' drive by In Minnesota it is 82dba at wide open pass I was 91dba at about half throttle I don't know how I'm going to get down to that I'm also looking for ideas
I have 509/800hp Cmi's Hpi and turn downs
any help
Don
The quietest boat I know of is SAXMAN's BT. Take a look at his setup in the BT section.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool-Aid Man
Will be in Charlevoix this weekend with my Cig and I'm just planning on getting stopped and a ticket right out of the gate. Bye the way where is the best place to launch a 38 Cig on lake charlevoix? Thanks
Shouldn't be a problem with exhaust noise in Charlevoix as far as I know I was there a few times in the last couple of years with Sheriff Marine Patrol and DNR all around me (no mufflers w/Stellings DRY tubular headers)---just be a cool customer and you should be fine.

Also, the city launch will suit your 38' Cig just fine. Once saw a 47' Fountain with tripples launch there a few times with no problems. The launch ramp is located near SE area downtown Charlevoix.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MnHowardCat
I got stoped two weeks ago and had to do a 50'' drive by In Minnesota it is 82dba at wide open pass I was 91dba at about half throttle I don't know how I'm going to get down to that I'm also looking for ideas
I have 509/800hp Cmi's Hpi and turn downs
any help
Don
I hope you meant 50 feet not 50 inches! That is the other SAE boat sound test that they don't use in Michigan. It can be very dangerous to be told to drive by the shore or dock at a distance of 50 feet at WOT. Especially with some of the boats that can exceed 100 mph. Keep in mind that this test would require you to violate several other Michigan laws if it was used in Michigan - the minimum distance from docks and the 55 mph speed limit.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BL6
However they were way too loud for him, and informs me my silent choice switchable exhaust is illegable and can't be used for test. Ran a 97db, and 93db w/ silent choice on.

Actually, in Michigan silent choice is legal as long as the water injection works and the boat passes with only the water injection system on. See below.

Last edited by Ratickle; 08-16-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 201liberator
I hope you meant 50 feet not 50 inches! That is the other SAE boat sound test that they don't use in Michigan. It can be very dangerous to be told to drive by the shore or dock at a distance of 50 feet at WOT. Especially with some of the boats that can exceed 100 mph. Keep in mind that this test would require you to violate several other Michigan laws if it was used in Michigan - the minimum distance from docks and the 55 mph speed limit.
In Michigan they can use SAE J1970, but it is 85dba. This is the reason the MI Legislature gave MSU all the $ to develope the Noise Gun. They will be able to measure at almost any distance up to 1000 feet and issue tickets based on the gun's reading. Thankfully, there are some current hiccups in the approval process for the gun. Current law excerpts attached.

Cut and pasted from MCL law library

6.10 Equipment Requirements and Required Personal
Flotation Devices
A. Misdemeanor—Equipment Requirements
MCL 324.80156 details the sound requirements for motorboat mufflers and underwater exhaust systems. MCL 324.80156(1) states:
*MCL 324.80156(2) allows the DNR to establish rules for alternative sound level tests and maximum decibel levels.

“Subject to subsection (2),* a person shall not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state unless the motorboat is equipped and maintained with an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that does not produce sound levels in excess of 90 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 or a sound level in excess of 75 dB(A) when subjected to a shoreline sound level measurement procedure as described by SAE J1970. The operator of a motorboat shall present the motorboat for a sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 upon the request of a peace officer. If a motorboat is equipped with more than 1 motor or engine, the test shall be performed with all motors or engines operating. To determine whether a person is violating this subsection, a peace officer may measure sound levels pursuant to procedures prescribed in SAE J1970, issued 1991-92.” A person who violates MCL 324.80156(1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by: • imprisonment for not more than 90 days; and • fine of not less than $100.00 or more than $500.00. MCL 324.80156(6). In addition, the person must install a muffler or underwater exhaust system that meets the act’s requirements before putting the vessel back in use. Id.

R 281.1238 Mufflers; cut outs.
The exhaust of all internal combustion engines used on any waters of this state shall be muffled effectively by equipment so constructed and used as to muffle the noise of the exhaust of the engine in a reasonable manner. The use of cut outs, bypasses, or similar devices is prohibited, except for vessels competing in a boat race or regatta sanctioned by the department under sections 151 and 152 of the act. A modern device, underwater exhaust system or a system discharging cold water through the exhaust of an inboard engine, each of which is capable of muffling the noise of the exhaust of the engine in a reasonable manner, shall be considered as meeting the requirements of this rule.