Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why Apache are so expensive? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/170981-why-apache-so-expensive.html)

el indio 10-23-2007 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2314472)
How arethings in the windy city?!

Was talking to your ole friend yesterday...seems him and my pop knew some of the same people growing up. :ernaehrung004:

small world.....seems no takers on my bet....will make it interesting....5 to 1 odds...any takers in the mcmannis camp...talk talk talk.......i was there.....

el indio 10-23-2007 11:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2314472)
How arethings in the windy city?!

Was talking to your ole friend yesterday...seems him and my pop knew some of the same people growing up. :ernaehrung004:

whos missing????????

Chris Sunkin 10-23-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by el indio (Post 2314503)
whos missing????????

He was snapping the pics? :)

Chris Sunkin 10-23-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2314470)
Rumor has it that it was a 33' also called Warpath...:hitfan:

The way I understand the story, Bob was waiting on getting the molds from Don but needed to get a boat rigged & racing. They used a Squadron hull. I have a videotape somewhere of the first Apache raceboat- it was at a race and Aronow was talking about how the boat performed. It won the race in a big way. He attributed the performance to the boat's length of 41'. He claimed it was the magic length to "bridge the waves". I haven't watched it in many years- it's on Beta.

Don't know the story behind the 33. They wouldn't have built that boat for competition in APBA Open class as it would have been 2' too short for the class. I can't imagine Ben Or Bob being interested in running a 33' V-bottom with 350 small-blocks in Modified.

el indio 10-23-2007 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2314548)
The way I understand the story, Bob was waiting on getting the molds from Don but needed to get a boat rigged & racing. They used a Squadron hull. I have a videotape somewhere of the first Apache raceboat- it was at a race and Aronow was talking about how the boat performed. It won the race in a big way. He attributed the performance to the boat's length of 41'. He claimed it was the magic length to "bridge the waves". I haven't watched it in many years- it's on Beta.

Don't know the story behind the 33. They wouldn't have built that boat for competition in APBA Open class as it would have been 2' too short for the class. I can't imagine Ben Or Bob being interested in running a 33' V-bottom with 350 small-blocks in Modified.

it had 482s and they did race it in the real early days....17th ave days where bob started apache...tom evans was the original boat builder/rigger. when sales took off ben moved him to the fort and got marc to reduce the production cost and time..cut corners so to speak..

turbo2256b 10-23-2007 12:49 PM

From what Bobby told me my boat was built at Race Headquartes. Originaly with big power big blocks for its day and ran mid 90's. This was in 1983. Would this be before the move? He also stated most of the 33s were built at other shops.

Sacred Ground 10-23-2007 01:16 PM

YES,Fountains are faster
YES,Outerlimits are faster
YES,Cigarettes are faster
But the ride is what counts in rough water.If you boat in calmer water and you want to go fast,the others are great.

True story:
Last summer we did a poker run on the bay,about 90 boats of all sizes and shapes,great fun.As the day went on the water got 4-5 ft in some places.At the end of the day people in other boats of equal size and bigger stated how rough it had gotten.My wife looked at me and did not understand what they were talking about.In calmer water they were faster but not at the end of the day????

"There's your sign"

lucy 10-23-2007 01:20 PM

Hi Frank!:p I need your e-mail.

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2314426)

Chris Sunkin 10-23-2007 01:54 PM

I'd love to know more about the 33's. Antbody know how many were built?

Panther 10-23-2007 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by lucy (Post 2314655)
Hi Frank!:p I need your e-mail.

Sent a message, let me know if you recieve it!:ernaehrung004: