Notices

Carb or EFI....

Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
If you are old school like you posted you are, then go carb. But ask yourself why you only see EFI engines in new boats? If not everynew boat, at least 90% of them. Ask your self "why is this" ?
Because 95% want the ease of turn the key and go. If its not working right, 95 % of those 95% will take it in to the dealer to get it fixed. If you don't have an in with your boat mechanic, you're looking at 2-4 weeks of down time. Carb engines are easy to diagnose without a scan tool and don't have the sensors to go bad.

I think EFI is great for most people. In rangerrick's case, I would go carbed. Sounds like he has the knowledge to fix them if there is a problem.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff

I think EFI is great for most people. In rangerrick's case, I would go carbed. Sounds like he has the knowledge to fix them if there is a problem.

Thats is what I posted last. Cheers

2 to 4 weeks down time????? Never in my last 6 years.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECeptor
#1 reason is exhaust emissions.
Witch means the builder has much better control of the combustion efficiency. Not to lean, not to rich, just perfect all the time at any RPM. Easier to offer warranty aswell. Customer's can phuck with it and blow it up, then call for warranty.

If your fimilair with Carb, then go carb. I'm sure you will be happy.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had way more problems with carburetors over my lifetime than fuel injection - chokes not working, flooding, accelerator pumps weak, jetting wrong at altitude, leaking bowl gaskets, jets plugged, throttle bodies sticking, secondaries not opening, and on and on - even carb ice! I can't think of even one problem I've had with fuel injection, although I always use good quality gasoline, with a good detergent package, which I think is key.

Michael