Notices

Ilmor 710

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Not so good with us.
We had an agreement for Ilmor to join us at a boatshow and share a booth with us. We were giving them space for free. Plans made, forms sent etc... everything all great and then they pull a 'no show'. Not even a call to say "can't make it" or anything, just disapeared.
Kind of leaves a taste.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
Not so good with us.
We had an agreement for Ilmor to join us at a boatshow and share a booth with us. We were giving them space for free. Plans made, forms sent etc... everything all great and then they pull a 'no show'. Not even a call to say "can't make it" or anything, just disapeared.
Kind of leaves a taste.

That's not good.......... Were you ever able to get in touch with them to find out what happened?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by specman
Do the 625's require premium fuel??
They recommend 91 oct which doesn't exist. I've done 50/50 between 89 & 92 to help w/ the gas prices & haven't ever experienced any pinging. Sometimes I do every other tank between the two but I never fill up nor run it all the way out so realistically it's always mixed between the 2.

This might not work where it's super hot & or too high above sea level.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NASCAT
They recommend 91 oct which doesn't exist. I've done 50/50 between 89 & 92 to help w/ the gas prices & haven't ever experienced any pinging. Sometimes I do every other tank between the two but I never fill up nor run it all the way out so realistically it's always mixed between the 2.

This might not work where it's super hot & or too high above sea level.
Ya but you no dought have that good ole race fuel around to add and make it what you want By the way not to bad last week end, Jr got F'ed but not to bad over all
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by omerta one
Just curious as to why you think there is something wrong with having blowers? The Merc 700's run very low boost and have excellent dockside manors.
I don't think there is something wrong but just something else to have to maintain that gets wear & tear on it. Same HP w/o a blower w/ the ability to turn more RPM in a lighter package just seems to be a no brainer. At the end of the day your power to weight ratio is better almost as if you had made more HP.

The thing I've always wondered about Merc 525's & especially the 600's & 700's is why isn't there more aftermarket parts that will allow you to boost the HP. I don't believe I've even seen a pulley kit.

PS- Ilmor 550 & 625's are assembly line built but 710's are hand built.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Ya but you no dought have that good ole race fuel around to add and make it what you want By the way not to bad last week end, Jr got F'ed but not to bad over all

Cosmic,

As a matter of fact I often mix Sunoco race gas w/ 89. In 2006 we were still on the leaded fuel like 110 octane. No boost in power just smelled cool. Last year switched to unleaded & dropped to like 106-7.

I called Ilmor 1st to make sure it was ok & they said yes but not to expect any gain. Burned super clean & way less soot out of the pies & on the transom!

They know we are a force to be reckoned with basically picking up where we left off!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered

Cool, I would think that it is worth it just to keep the crap off the transom and if it isn't building up out there its gotta be better inside the motors.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 PM
BRD
Registered

Who does the Ilmor service work ?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BRD

I talked to Ilmor the other day and they said they're bringing more and more shops on-line all the time....

In the interim, if you live in an area without a shop, they'll either fly your tech to them to educate him/her or they'll stick on of their guys on a plane and send him/her to you.

They certainly don't have the "coverage" merc does, but at least their willing to make it right.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRD
Any qualified (clean, neat & reputable) marina or marine repair shop can become a certified Ilmor service center by attending Ilmor's training course as long they aren't located too close to an existing service center.

Quick Reply: Ilmor 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.